• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Westford Sportsmen's Club

Tweed

NES Member
I know that Ken Maurer posts here frequently as replies to what Westford Sportmen's Club offers, yet there is no topic post. Ken is the VP and I am the Secretary of the club.

http://www.westford.com/sportsmen

The club is located on over 200 acres on West Street in Westford, MA
N42 35'54 W71 29'35

Facilities:

Club house with kitchen, no liquor license. Open during meetings and large events. Club House can be reseved by members for functions.

Sporting Clay course with 18 stations.
Open to public:
January - September Saturdays registration at 9:15 am,
October – December Sundays registration at 12:45 pm
First Round $15, Second $10.

Trap: 2 ATA fields with voice activated throwers. 6 teams in the Greater Lowell Trap League
Open to Public. First time shooters welcome, instruction provided. $2.50 per round of 25 birds.
Year Round Sunday 1-4 PM.
April to October Mondays 5:30 – dusk.
Singles, Handicap and Doubles available during normal operating hours
Only Trap (target) Loads are allowed - 7 ½ or 8 shot at 3-dram equivalent or less. Use of game loads or magnum loads is prohibited.
Hearing and eye protection is required

Indoor 50 ft pistol range, Pistol ammo less than 1300 fps muzzle velocity. No Magnum loads. No Rifles, except 22LR. 24 hour access with keycard expect when meetings are in progress. A team competes in the Greater Lowell League

Outdoor 75 ft pistol range, 100 yd outdoor rifle range. Hours 9AM – dusk. No shooting Sunday before 1pm.

Archery: 2 Forty yard ranges, 1 with tower. Many 3D targets.
Summer League Tuesdays June-August 4:30-7:30 pm
BayState Archers hold 2 shoots during the year at the club.

Stocked Trout Pond. Children's Fishing Derby held each April for kids 14 and under.

Junior Program to introduce youth to conservation, shooting, fishing and archery. Meets every other month.

Directions From Route 3:
Take Route 3 to Exit 33 (Route 40), approximately 5.4 miles north of I495. Take Route 40 west toward Westford and Groton, Massachusetts. Go approximately 5.1 miles through Westford. At this point you will be near the Town of Groton Line (sign on your left) and the Millstone Observatory (on your right). Take the first left after the Groton sign onto Granitville Road. (Graniteville Road becomes West Street as you cross back into Westford.) Go approximately 0.4 miles. The entrance to the Westford Sportsmen's Club is on the right side of the road. There are other ways to get to the club from Rte 495, but the path is not direct.

Membership:

Membership in the Westford Sportsmen's Club is open to all persons at least 18 years old, without regard to sex, race, color or religion. Prospective members need to complete an application form and have it endorsed by two current members of the club. (If you don't already know two members, you can get started by joining us for Sporting Clays or Trap, or at a Membership Committee meeting) Application forms are available at the clubhouse during all meetings and special events. Applicants must be interviewed by the membership committee, which normally meets at 7:00 PM on the 3rd Monday of the month. (It's generally possible to complete the application form and obtain the required endorsements at this meeting.) Each application is then voted on by the members at the next general meeting, usually 7:30 PM on the 1st Monday of the month (2nd Monday if the 1st is a holiday).

The current one-time initiation fee is $150. Annual dues are $100. Senior’s dues are $50.

Ducks Unlimited Banquet and Shoot 9/29/07 at WSC

Ducks Unlimited Shoot/Banquet – Saturday 9/29
Merrimack Valley Chapter @ Westford Sportsmen’s Club
$60.00 Admission - Shooter
$40.00 Non shooter/$25.00Greenwing (children)

Admission Includes:
*Unlimited shooting at 3D Archery Target Tower
*50 Rounds Sporting Clays & 50 Rounds of Trap (Bring your own shells)
*Buffet Dinner: Prime Rib or Chicken
*Ticket for Door prize drawing
*DU Membership

The evening event is always a fun filled time and often brings out non-shooter guests. It includes the: Dinner, Raffle, Auction, Ducky Dice and lots of fun

Event Schedule (Rain or Shine):
11:00 a.m. Archery Tower starts
11:00 a.m. Trap starts
1:00 p.m. Sporting Clay starts
4:00 p.m. Social/games/raffle tickets
5:00 p.m. Dinner in clubhouse
5:30 p.m. Auction/raffles

Tickets are purchased in advance as there is limited seating. Contact Norman Silva 978-692-8277 or [email protected] and send your check made payable to:
Ducks Unlimited to Norman Silva at
62 Beaver Brook Rd, Westford, MA 01886

There are several shotguns that will be raffled off as a part of this event.

WSC Late New Year's Event, 1/4/2009

WSC Late New Year’s Event
Sunday, January 4th, 2009

Archery Shoot
WSC & Bay State Archers
30 - 3D Archery Target Course
7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

WSC Buffet Brunch – All you can Eat
7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. - $7.00
Lunch available additional costs

WSC Trap Shooting
1:00 p.m. throughout afternoon
Come break some targets for the New Year
Clays are $2.50 per round, bring your own shotty and ammo (7.5 - 9 shot size).

WSC Outdoor Pistol
1:00 p.m. throughout afternoon
Instructors available for a few helpful tips & training for new shooters or those interested in getting licensed.

www.westfordsportsmen.org

Bumped into this post!, Figured I'd say hello to all, I am available via email if anyones needs to get me. My name is Bobby Mac and I am the Chief Range Officer at Westford as well as a Westford/N.R.A. Range Safety Officer.

Last edited:
westford sportsmans club

Did my 1st reading there last monday, shoud be a member come April. Any members here? How do you like the club?

Well you already know me. [wink]

I know (in no particular order) that Jar, kristo, JimConway, ephemeratta, KMaurer, Rob87, and bmac are Westford members. I'm sure I'm leaving lots of others out.

Eisenhow, you know me also... met you there a few weeks ago.

Johnny, welcome! Its a great club. I'm easy to recognize -- I'm the guy with guns that looks like he writes software for a living.

While I'm a CCR&G club member, I've been to Westford for both Ken's training and for Nashoba pistol.

A VERY FINE (no pun intended) bunch of ladies and gentlemen (that I have met) up at Westford.

-ed

Eisenhow, you know me also... met you there a few weeks ago.

Johnny, welcome! Its a great club. I'm easy to recognize -- I'm the guy with guns that looks like he writes software for a living.

ha ha, cool... look forward to meeting you. I become a member on April 6th unless someone vehemently objects.

I usually find westford hit or miss for trapshooting on sundays. Usually I end up over there too late, and everyone is packed up and gone. Today was a hit. Got to shoot my new gun for the first time, and i managed to shoot a new personal best, 20/25. (hey, it was only my 4th time trap shooting.) All in all, when there are people there, Its a Great place to shoot. As soon as I can scrap together the money, I think ill join the club.

We'll be hosting another Duck's Unlimited shoot and banquet on Saturday, October 3. $65 for the shoot (both trap and sporting clays) and banquet; $40 for the banguet only. There will be a great meal and a lot of raffles and auctions, including quite a few guns. See the website for more information.

Ken

My girlfriend and I have been looking at joining WSC. I see that the website recommends swinging by a trap or clays shoot and meeting folks. Are there loaner guns for folks without their own? Is there usually anyone there this time of year? How difficult is it usually to wrangle up a sponser?

Thanks!

My girlfriend and I have been looking at joining WSC. I see that the website recommends swinging by a trap or clays shoot and meeting folks. Are there loaner guns for folks without their own? Is there usually anyone there this time of year?
I don't shoot trap (yet) but I've been told by other members that if you show up with ammo and say I'd like to try trap someone will usually lend you their gun. I'd normally offer you to show you around but I'm busy all weekend. If you don't get a chance to see the place before next weekend send me a PM and I'll see what I can do next weekend.

How difficult is it usually to wrangle up a sponser?
Finding a sponsor is NOT an issue. Just show up to the next membership committee meeting (3rd Monday of the month, Nov 16th) and someone will sponsor you. You can then get voted in at the next general meeting (1st monday of the month, Dec 7th). WSC is a great club, hope to see you there!

Dropped off an application to Westford last night. It looks like a great place, with a lot of stuff to do, and some enthusiastic members. Just have to go to the general meeting and get range oriented, and I won't have to drive to a different state to shoot anymore, hurray!

Thanks eisenhow, for the tour! Hope to see you and the other members on the range.

Dropped off my check and got voted in as a member tonight (not in that order). I'm looking forward to some fun times shooting! Glad I could put more usernames to faces. For those who were there, I was the only long haired male new member, and was with the only female new member.

I tried to send this question to the Westford Sportsman's Club web site but it seems to not be working. I am interested in joining a local club for use of an indoor range. One of my concerns is keeping a gun inside the home. I'm not sure if this is a regular request but I'm trying to find a club that has locked storage for the purpose of holding member owned firearms. If Westford does not provide this membership benefit are there other clubs that do? Thanks.

I haven't heard of a club that has that available. There may be one somewhere, but I know Westford doesn't. What's wrong with a safe in your house?

I tried to send this question to the Westford Sportsman's Club web site but it seems to not be working. I am interested in joining a local club for use of an indoor range. One of my concerns is keeping a gun inside the home. I'm not sure if this is a regular request but I'm trying to find a club that has locked storage for the purpose of holding member owned firearms. If Westford does not provide this membership benefit are there other clubs that do? Thanks.

I can't speak for Westford, but I am unaware of any club in MA that has such storage for members' guns. The liability and security issues would just be too high, not to mention buying/maintaining secure storage for all members (300+ avg/club makes for a lot of secure lockers). Gym style lockers are NOT SECURE!

As for taking a tour of that club, ping Jim Conway or KMaurer (Mod) as they are both active members of that club and one or both of them are probably there most weekends.

There is no storage at Westford. It came up for storing shotguns for a trap team from a local boarding school. As Len mentioned, it was not deemed safe since it was a situation where no one would be keeping a regular eye on the equipment between shoots.

ping me for tour availability as well

Try the Danvers Fish and Game club. I have not been a member there for 20+ years but I think that back in the day there was a firearm safe you could leave personal weapons in. IIRC only club officers had access to the safe so it was a real pain and no one really made use of the service.

-MS

Childern's Fishing Derby April 10

The Westford Sportsmen's Club will hold its annual Children's Fishing Derby this Saturday April 10. The pond will be stocked with trout this week.

Big prizes for the categories below and every kid goes home with a prize. There is a cash raffle for the derby and tickets will be sold for the scholarship pistol raffle.

See directions and details at the club website, www.westfordsportsmensclub.org Hope to see you and your kids there!

General info:
Eligible Age: 14 years or younger

Registration: 7:30 AM - All Children MUST register and receive their derby number

Beginning Time: 8:00 AM at the sound of the signal - NO FISHING BEFORE THE OFFICIAL DERBY START

End Time: 10:30AM at the sound of the signal - ALL FISHING STOPS

Prize Drawing: 10:45 AM - In front of the Club House

1. Please be courteous and allow space on either side of you while fishing
2. Check behind you before casting - People are walking around the pond
3. Register your fish as you catch them - Have your derby number with you
4. Limit of 6 Fish per child
5. Adult(s) allowed to help younger children but are not allowed to fish for the child
6. Please use trash barrels near registration area
7. Bathroom Facilities - please use the portable toilets located near the road
8. Prize Categories:
* Largest Trout registered by a boy and girl (1st, 2nd, and 3rd places)
* First Trout registered by a boy and girl
* Smallest Trout registered by a boy and girl
* First boy and girl to catch 6 fish
* First Trout registered with a tag

Open House this Saturday 5/15/10 - 10-3

Open House May 15, 2010
10AM to 3PM
ALL ARE WELCOME! Come, Meet Us…

And learn about the Great Outdoors! Our members will be on hand to go over all the exciting features of the club and show you around. We offer Pistol and Rifle Ranges, Trap and Sporting Clays, Archery including a Tower and 3D Targets, a Game Preserve, a Trout Pond and Function Hall with a full Kitchen.

Bring the kids too so they can learn while they enjoy our

* Birds of Prey exhibit
* Live Wolf exhibit
* Civil War Cannon Shoot

Food and drinks will be available.

Bump. :)

So when I moved away from Westford I didn't renew my membership, but I've decided I want to renew it. What's the best way to renew? I went to the club website but it isn't working well for me. :S

The same way you did last time [wink]

http://www.westfordsportsmensclub.org/membership/

Show up at the next "membership committee meeting" 3rd Monday of the month @ 6:30PM
Get voted in at the next general membership meeting 1st Monday of the month @ 7:30PM

rules were changed so that you don't have to be there if you have a shift that regularly interferes with the club schedule. It's better if you can come, but not mandatory.

Back
Top Bottom