Went to the Amoskeag Auction today and came home with Bucket List #1

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
I went to my first ever gun auction today at Amoskeag, NH. I've never been to any auction before, and was a little nervous. My item was #681 of 711 today, and after checking in at 9:30 and inspecting my candidate, we played tourist in Manchester. We came back at 3:30 and my item came up for auction at about 5:00. I am still stunned at the hammer price. An original 3rd model Brown Bess from 1800 with a few replacement parts went for only $750 with an estimate of $1200-$1800. My auction had the same estimate and I did almost as well.

Here's a teaser pic tonight; I'll post more tomorrow as it's been a long emotional day! I've wanted one of these since I was in the third grade when a local militia group came to my elementary school during the bicentennial.

T[banana]

Last edited:
I was there waiting for #427 and #428 a pair of Colts Aces that went for more that the high estimate (and my budget). If I had stayed till 5:00 I might have bid against you. I have Norm Flayderman's book and it would be neat to have one of his guns! Nice score! PS: I had paddle #417

I was my own militia at my middle school in '99 doing a Civil War presentation for the Social Studies teacher, shooting blanks out of a reproduction M53 Enfield out the back. We had a full lock down about 5 years ago when someone found a live .22 round in the parking lot. This following a previous lock down that year for a spent shotgun shell case in the driveway.

T

From this perspective, the door opens in.

Last edited:
Congrats, that's a historic piece.

Had to chuckle when you said a local militia group came to your elementary school... I cant imagine a school allowing that these days. [rolleyes]

One of my childhood friends posted an elementary school yearbook page for Throwback Thursday... Interspersed among the pictures of smiling kids were the iconic Fife and Drum patriots, crossed muskets, and (the horror!) a Gadsden flag.

Cool find - I've thought of going to auction, but I'd be afraid of my lack of self control. [rofl]

Musket is also N. Flayerman documented. From what I've read so far, it seems to me to be a M95 Type III rather than a M08 due to the 44" barrel.

T

I've got a few black powder rimfires and caplocks. But haven't ventured as far back as flintlock era yet.

Looks like you've filled that category, and realized a childhood dream all in one. Congrats!

Nice grab, Tim! I have a Pedersoli 1795 to play with at the range but some day I'd like to grab a real one for display.

You can see the wooden pin repair to repair the wrist crack. There is a sliver of wood missing from the left of the stock by the front band. The main spring is too weak to cause but the faintest of a spark; I may replace it so I can shoot it at least once. The bayonet came from ebay at a very good price; however I have to have it reamed out a little as it sticks half way onto the muzzle. Sling is a reproduction. I'll also pick up a tompion, another flint, and a brush/vent pick tool.

T

I know you want to shoot it. You do know the cock is cracked, correct? You should also have a sheet of lead in place of the leather to secure the flint... to be proper...

Yes on both. I used only leather on my Japanese Brown Bess for many years and and no issues. The only way for me to get a flat piece of lead is to pound a 50cal round ball flat. Still on the fence if I'll shoot it or not; 201 years old and all.

T

Last edited:
Wonder if you can find a 7-barrel volley gun. Cost would be astronomical.

T

I bet it would cost a small fortune... and cause major damage to your shoulder when you fired it [laugh] (Would this be considered a 'high capacity assault musket'?)

7 Barrel.jpg

To round out your Sharpe collection you will need one of these of course.

Baker_rifle.png

A Baker Rifle with sword bayonet

First supply order came in; .69 tompion, original proper sized British musket flint, .69 brass brush, bore gauge, and a M1816 flint cap. Bore gauge shows a muzzle of .73cal.

T

My strategy was to select a first and second choice, decide how mush I could spend, and then walk away if out bid. It IS hard to keep your self control. Of the dozen or so things I liked, all sold for 1/2 to 1/4 less than GunBroker.

T

Their next auction is in March. I'll save my $$ until then and see if I can get lucky again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom