Well, got screwed by Auto Ordnance- suggestions?

So, just got back from the range for the first time-

My 1911A1 Auto Ordnance, despite my best wishes, is a POS. Complete failure to feed for 80% of the rounds, and sights so off I could barely hit paper past 15 ft.

My question is, in MA, what other brands can I look to that can get me as close as possible to the WWII GI look:

http://www.tommygun.com/ao_1911pkz_f.html

And be good, reliable, etc.

<sigh> I so wanted it to be good :\

My AO1911A1 has never had a problem feeding - but I have never used the POS AO magazine supplied with the pistol. What type of round are you using. Go buy some Winchester white box 230 gr FMJ at Wal-Mart ($25). Buy yourself a couple of 'new' USGI or Colt magazines. I'll bet your FTF problems go away.

FJM25

I was planning on taking it back to the store- but I'm *not* getting another one of these.

Alright, others- thoughts?

I doubt the store will take it back. They might send it back to AO at their expense.
In this state, there really isn't much to choose from unless you find a Colt that is compliant.

Your only real choice in this miserable state for a new 1911 is a Smith

Sorry you had trouble

My AO1911A1 has never had a problem feeding - but I have never used the POS AO magazine supplied with the pistol. What type of round are you using. Go buy some Winchester white box 230 gr FMJ at Wal-Mart ($25). Buy yourself a couple of 'new' USGI or Colt magazines. I'll bet your FTF problems go away.

FJM25

Doubt it. I've run three different brands of magazine through mine and I've had the same problems as him.

I purchased one used in December. at first I would have a ftf with each mag. I was using the stock mag. When I switched to the $14.00 Chip McCormics the problem went away. When I looked at the stock mag it looked like the pin that holds the floor plate was working it self out.

It ran fine after switching mags. I mainly purchased it because I always wanted a WWII style .45, with the price of ammo it won't get a ton of use except with the kimber .22 conversion kit I also bought with it. So as a plinker I'm happy it will never be a carry pistol. One of the older guys at the club has a WWII style holster he is giving me, which will look great with the garand.

FJM25

Hehe, you might like to know I was shooting Winchester white box 230 gr. out of Chip McCormick mags. Sigh.

I suppose you could have one built. Use Springfield Armory parts and have the whole thing parkerized. I've been contemplating it... but I think I'll just move to NH instead.

Hehe, you might like to know I was shooting Winchester white box 230 gr. out of Chip McCormick mags. Sigh.

Zain-

Give Dave Santurri a call. He works on a lot of 1911's and may be able to get it working for you. Look for him in the gunsmith section.

Sorry you are having problems. I know what it is like to buy a new gun that is a lemon. I bought a Smith revolver years ago and the hammer would hit the frame when it dropped to the point that it took a gouge out of the frame. After sending it back to them (6 times no exaggeration) and after that and arguing for 3 months they finally took it back and replaced it with a brand new one.

All that after they were telling me "its fixed," "its within spec," "we cant duplicate the probem," "we shimmed the hammer." I was so mad and frustrated I was ready to jump out of my skin.

Good luck!

Before you totally give up on that AO 1911 let me suggest one thing.

Try Wilson Combat magazines. My Gold Cup will feed with ANY mag out there, however I have a couple more full size 1911's that made me a believer. One wouldn't feed with the OEM mag that came with it.

I tried Wilson Mags and the both feed with NO problems. I'd bet my life on both those 1911's today as long as they contained those mags.

Went shooting with a pard of mine and he had a 1911 that was a FTF nightmare. I handed him a Wilson mag and told him to try it. Problem GONE!

Before you totally give up on that AO 1911 let me suggest one thing.

Try Wilson Combat magazines. My Gold Cup will feed with ANY mag out there, however I have a couple more full size 1911's that made me a believer. One wouldn't feed with the OEM mag that came with it.

I tried Wilson Mags and the both feed with NO problems. I'd bet my life on both those 1911's today as long as they contained those mags.

Went shooting with a pard of mine and he had a 1911 that was a FTF nightmare. I handed him a Wilson mag and told him to try it. Problem GONE!

So the problem though is that the sights suck too- even if I got it to feed right, I took a good hard look at the sights and the front post is about 7 degrees from the barrel/center axis of the gun. I spent like 15-20 rounds shooting at the target today and hitting air. This is after hitting the black at the same range with my walther 22.

Well, if the front sight "fell off", AO should replace it for free. I know Colt replaced the front sight on TWO of my Officer's Models. One fell off the other was loose. Also replaced a pair of grips on one that I had cracked when I installed it. No charge for the work or the return shipping.

Well, if the front sight "fell off", AO should replace it for free. I know Colt replaced the front sight on TWO of my Officer's Models. One fell off the other was loose. Also replaced a pair of grips on one that I had cracked when I installed it. No charge for the work or the return shipping.

I shot the front sight off my AO. I sent it back and they fixed it for free, with a very rapid turn-around time. I was very impressed.

...still can't hit the broad side of a barn with it though.

Zain, I have no experience with AO customer service, but I'd keep calling them and making them take it back until they either fix it or replace it. There's no excuse for a gun that won't work like that.

Hopefully you can get them to pick up the cost of the shipping each time...

Failing that - +1 to the C&R suggestion. I have a Sistema Colt on order right now...

Sistema Colt

I have a Sistema Colt on order right now...

Just remember that the Sistema Colt - great pistol by the way - is a true 1911. Not a 1911A1. It may "bite" the hand that feeds it. Mine bit me.

I had it changed into an A1 and got into the "might as wells" while I was doing it so it got a bit expensive but it's a great shooter.

I had my Auto Ordnance at the range, fired 50 rounds using CCI Blazer 230 grain Ball ammo from my two Chip McCormick mags. All rounds shot rapid fire 2 mags at a time. All shoots stayed on paper. Functioned perfectly, I guess I lucked out on mine.

What do you mean by this? Also, what are the differences in "upgrading" it?

The original, as issued, 1911 pistol did not have a beavertail grip safety. As a result and depending on your grip, you could get some of the meat of your hand pinched in between the grip safety and the hammer. It almost feels like a burn and leaves a small red mark.

The newer 1911A1 has an elongated grip safety that protects that part of the hand from hammer bite.

The solution is to install a Beaver Tail Grip Safety. I chose The Wilson Combat Drop In so the frame did not have to be milled or filed out to accept it. Next problem is that that grip safety requires a Commander Style hammer. That's where I got into trouble with the "might as wells". If I was going to change out the hammer, might as well change out the Sear and Trigger. That got me looking for a 1911 Smitty to mate the three. Sear angles are not something you want to fool around with unless you really know what you're doing.

Course, the sights on the 1911 are pretty small but then, I found that CDNN was selling Colt Slides with fixed, adjustable and no sights........ That was a drop in part on mine.

Best part of the whole thing was that I saved all the original parts and can put it back into original condition if I ever wanted to.

Back
Top Bottom