weird issue with my new 43 underwood carbine

Took my newest toy to the range for the 1st time today, a 43 Underwood m1 carbine. I have a weird trigger resetting issue....

The gun fed and extracted properly and when the trigger reset shot very well ( and accurately)
But I had multiple issue with the trigger not resetting after ejecting and chambering a fresh round?

Any ideas?

check the sear. maybe not latching properly due to it being worn. Not that, possible but I dont think its short stroking. May need to clean out gas cylinder, and vent hole ising a pin/paperclip.

When I removed the action from the stock everything that i saw worked properly...... I cant even get the trigger NOT to reset. When I hand loaded single rounds its worked fine every time, but when feeded from a magazine I woukd get nothing from the trigger every c ouple of shots ( even after ejecting and chambering a new round )

Is it possible that the bolt is not fully engaged? What you are describing would happen if the bolt is not completely forward and locked. Are you shooting reloads or cheap ammo? Case length is extremely important for the carbine. If the case is even just slightly too long the bolt may look fully engaged but will not be locked and the trigger will not work. If the COL is too long the same thing will happen, but in that situation the bolt will be harder to pull back to eject the non fired cartridge as the bullet would have made contact with the lands.

In either case the bolt will not lock and the gun will not fire as you are describing. I would rule that out first as that would be the easiest to fix.

Last edited:
Yep. LC will not cause that problem. I would suggest posting on the American Arsenal section on Gunboards. They should be able to give more detail as to what the issue is.

I think Niner is correct and the bolt is not closing completely. It might just be dirty around the throat. It could be a spring. The next time you shoot it before you pull the trigger see if you can push the bolt forward any. If it doesn't go completely into battery it will not fire.

I think Niner is correct and the bolt is not closing completely. It might just be dirty around the throat. It could be a spring. The next time you shoot it before you pull the trigger see if you can push the bolt forward any. If it doesn't go completely into battery it will not fire.

I have the carbine sitting with me at the moment.... the only thing odd about this is I can purposely hold the bolt back, out of battery and get the hammer to fall ( obviously in a dry fire scenario in my living room )

Edit: I need to get it back out to the range.... everything I've done with it in the living room saying there's nothing wrong. It was getting late last night at the range, perhaps I missed the obvious

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom