Weird deer sound last night

Last night I was hunting on the side of a swamp, and a boat pulled up and two guys started fishing and making noise. I decided around 5:50 to walk back to my car. I knew I was going to be going through a nice huge acorn flat, so I took my time walking. Three steps wait 30 seconds...Three steps wait 30 seconds. I came up two the acorn flat and jump two deer. One of the made they crazy scream noise that sounded like a elephant, and last around a secound. It ran about 40 yards and stoped. I scared the crap out of me, and I have never heard of a deer making this sound. Then I walked a little closer and I did it again and tokk off a little further, but didn't run off.

Then for the next five minutes (no bullshit, I swear on my family, seriously) this deer ran back and forth making this screaming noise. I would blow through my weeze call and it would scream back to me. At one point I had it about 30 yards away and in was doing this screaming sound.

This morning I called MassWildlife and spoke to a biologist there and he said that deer make this sound when they are being captured, but he has never heard it made in the situatation I explained.

It was crazy and at one point I thought I was going to get a shot on it, but it stayed behind this brush running around. You could hear this thing screaming and trampling around.

No injuries, and it sounded nothing like a wheeze. It sounded like an elephant. It was a buck as well.

It is just a get the ###K out of here alert noise they can sometimes make, it not that common at all though. usually a smart adult doe is the one that would do that, i say smart because there wouldn't be a single deer in 4 miles that wont know where you are.

more common alerts are a buck OOMP, little sharper and louder than a grunt.. snort wheeze stomping.. this is all more them trying to find out where and what you are, kinda trying to make you move. then they hop away gracefully without much noise..

your deer freaked out, its not common because they don't like to draw all the attention to themselves like that.. that's why i say usually a smart mother would do that and in return drawing the danger to her and protecting the kids.. my only take is if it was a buck, he learned it from mom. I have only had 2 deer do this both were does, the first time there were 2 skips bedding close by, all i could see was 2 little heads with big ears looking at me from the brush.. she kept up her screaming and running around till i left.

Back
Top Bottom