Webley Pryse Revolver

The Goose

NES Member
I am not completely sure whether this is a milsurp or not. Certainly this revolver was not actually issued by the British War Department (WD). However, prior to about 1880 and even long afterwards, British officers typically bought their own revolvers or were gifted them when they started service. Even when the WD started issuing revolvers in the early 1880's it was the Enfield MK I and MK II, which were abysmal disasters. Most officers preferred to purchase their own. My particular revolver has a South African provenance and given the amount of wear on the grips I would say it saw some use. Of course I would like to fantasize that it was used in the Zulu or Boer wars, but I have no way of knowing. It probably belonged to some baker who liked to plink a lot in his spare time. Regardless it is a good example of the type of revolver that would have been carried by a British oifficer at that time. So I belive this is the right section for this post.

Webley acquired the Pryse patent in 1876 and this was their first breaktop revolver. The latch to open is a tong type arrangement. Later this type of design with some alterations became synonymous with Webley and their final MK VI model saw use until around 1960 or so. My Webley Pryse is chambered for .476 Enfield or Eley which is pretty much interchangeable with the .455. I managed to get a few hundred pieces of .476/.455 brass from Buffalo Arms Co. (BACO) and I picked up an RCBS mold for a 265 gr. hollow base bullet. The actual .476 had a heel based bullet, but the RCBS mold is pretty much a dublicate of the early .455 bullet. I slugged the bore and got .457. The bullets I cast are 50% 20:1 alloy and 50% pure lead, a pretty soft mix designed to "bump up" when fired. The bullets are .456 as dropped from the mold and I sized them in a .45-70 .458 die just to put the SPG lube in the grooves. They are loaded over 19 grs of Goex 2F with a .30 Walter's vegetable fiber wad. I used a drop tube and compression die to get the powder into the cases. I would have preferred 3F powder, but do not have any at the moment. We'll see how they do. Sitting here today looking at 2 feet of snow and still falling it is hard to picture ever getting to the range again, but that will change soon enough.

Pryse002_zps983537df.jpg

Pryse003_zps2098bd3b.jpg

Pryse009_zps404d9af2.jpg

Pryse011_zpscfb94c79.jpg

Pryse017_zps2e2a18f7.jpg

Pryse018_zps2c9f71af.jpg

Pryse023_zps37c3fc30.jpg

this is funny I have a friend who had me list his brass for him on GB. He had 600 pcs and they gobbled it up at $1.25 ea. I think he said he has 50 or 100 left. I should have gotten a few.

7f4d1330.jpg

For this old horse.

55ed0bc3.jpg

Nasty bit of work and it's said more British shot themselves with it than the Fuzzies.

I can check on the brass if anyone needs it.

Cheers
..MJ..

It's said that when the British officer corps was done maiming them selves with it they sent the things to the RCMP so they could have a go at wounding a few horses and riders. Bloody good joke they thought. I have a few pages of history about this stored on some file SOMEPLACE. After reading them and because all the screws and stocks were not buggerd up and only a few spots of finish remained I let one of the guys who provided the information have it. Next time I checked his listings he had it up at four times what he gave,,LOL! He had also re-blued it and bleached the stocks, I call that humping. The action did not break far enough to eject the shells and fouled the action when a horse.

Beautiful Pryse. My Webley knowledge from before 1912 or so is limited, but one would think that the lanyard ring would suggest some soldier had once owned it, if that helps your Zulu War dreams.

Nice find.

Back
Top Bottom