1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

1864 M49 Colt .31 Pocket Revolver

Discussion in 'Mil Surp Collectors' started by majspud, Feb 22, 2019.

1. majspud

majspud NES Life Member NES Member

Despite my heart attack, I still plan on reenacting Civil War and WWII. So that means no rifle this season; 28th CW season, 3rd WWII season. For WWII, I got a 90 year old Kodak Hawkeye Model C camera. First roll of film is being developed from last weekend's drill. I already use a blank converted '43 Mauser HSc 7.65mm pistol, so I'm good there.

For Civil War, I will slip into the Provost (military police) role. As I no longer had a Civil War sidearm, I had to address this. I would have preferred a M1860 Colt Army, but they go for $1200-3000. As Provost, I only need a defensive sidearm, and I found this M49 Colt .31 Pocket Revolver on GunBoards. Very nice condition; serial dates it to early 1864 (starts 250K). Amazingly they still made this cap and ball revolver well into the handgun cartridge era, with production only ending in 1873 at 340,000 pieces.

To go with it, I have my old "Veteran Reserve" jacket. Instituted in 1864, this uniform was worn by wounded/disabled veterans who could still perform light duties. Pistol should be here next week in time for drill in the first week of March. Lose another 10 pounds, the coat will fit fine.

t

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    mousegunguy likes this.

2. majspud

For Civil War, I've been "rolling" my own cartridges since 1995 for handguns with my own invention. Cigarette paper, powder, and Cream of Wheat (inert block instead of grease). Have made .31, .34, .36, and .44 blanks. I can use these live as well; just ram a ball on top. Cigarette paper burns up. Flash paper would work better, but I never seemed to get around to finding some.

t
    IMG_6526.jpg

Picton likes this.
  3. majspud

Well, my 90 year old Kodak Hawkeye Model C works! All 8 pics came out. I blurred the faces.

t
    IMG_6546.jpg

4. daekken

daekken NES Member

Neat. I think Polaroid style and other vintage cameras are coming back into style, I know a few people with them.

My uncle worked for Polaroid for like 30 years.

5. majspud

The camera...

t

Attached Files:

6. dw617

dw617 NES Member

Did someone say film camera? My other hobby. I shoot 35mm, medium format and large format 4x5

Here's a 1917 Kodak Autographic that I have. Would look great next to my 1917 Winchester.

View: https://i.imgur.com/v9YkivW.jpg

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  7. majspud

I may get a little better one with 2 apertures to I can do landscape. It all depends on the level of recovery from my heart attack.

t

8. majspud

Here it is. Totally matched to the wedge, loading lever, and cylinder bar. Bore needs more cleaning; I did a quick brass brush and jag. Lots of light brown surface rust came off the inside.

t

Attached Files:

9. majspud

Lock up and timing are good. Main spring seems a little soft, but OK

t

10. 40 caliber

40 caliber NES Member

WOW, someone have been busy! glad you are focused and enjoying life here. i like that little pop gun! [banana]