WC846 powder

richc

NES Member
From what I've read it is very comparable to BLC2 or Winchester 748, and designed for 223 or 308. I've been using Winchester 748, but wondering if it is worth going for the savings?

It is a pulldown powder that runs about $5/pound less than the retail counterparts.

Has anyone used it? What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Rich

I bought 16 lbs of it and went through 8 with my m1a alone, just put together 800 62 gr .223 and have been happy with it there as well. These are plinkin rounds, I havent put together any match stuff,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've loaded at least ten jugs of it in .308 over the past 12 years with good results.

If you get some(more than one jug), check to make sure its all the same lot number and work up your load for that lot.

If you end up with different lot numbers you'll need to work up each lot number.

The burn rate can vary widely in surplus pull down powders.

A starting load is usually printed on the jug label. Start there and use a chronograph if you have access to one.

It is temperature sensitive. Loads fired in the cold of winter will be noticeably hotter in the summer months. I tended to reduce my loads almost 10% for this reason. The ammo is/was mostly 1919 fodder and performed just fine.
I also tried to keep my ammo loaded with this powder out of the direct sun.

I've loaded at least ten jugs of it in .308 over the past 12 years with good results.

If you get some(more than one jug), check to make sure its all the same lot number and work up your load for that lot.

If you end up with different lot numbers you'll need to work up each lot number.

A starting load is usually printed on the jug label. Start there and use a chronograph if you have access to one.

It is temperature sensitive. Loads fired in the cold of winter will be noticeably hotter in the summer months. I tended to reduce my loads almost 10% for this reason. The ammo is/was mostly 1919 fodder and performed just fine.
I also tried to keep my ammo loaded with this powder out of the direct sun.

I'm going to ask a question, but I want to state first it's just for my information, not because I'm going to be a retard and not build a load up myself from the suggested start, so please don't flame me.

How much variance are you seeing between different lots? Can you post some actual load numbers?

I've used quite a bit of this in .223 loads, for the same reason. It was cheaper to load up a whole bunch of plinking ammo. Inside 200 yards, it performed just fine. I never shot any of it past that. IMO, it is good enough to make a bunch of range ammo. It is very close to BL-C(2), which is my go to powder for .223. I may have to go and do a side by side now.

i been looking for the link on castboolits.com for the post about the wide spred of pulled down military powder from lot to lot. Its there somewhere.

Having never used pull down powder and your statement on variation would it be advisable to mix all the same numbers with different lot #s together to get a stable mix? Something along the idea of mixing several cans of paint to make sure the color is the same from start to finish. Just wondering
Dave

Having never used pull down powder and your statement on variation would it be advisable to mix all the same numbers with different lot #s together to get a stable mix? Something along the idea of mixing several cans of paint to make sure the color is the same from start to finish. Just wondering
Dave

How do you know when it's 'stirred' enough? I wouldn't do it.

How do you know when it's 'stirred' enough? I wouldn't do it.

Use one of these:

Hand-Mixer.jpg

Made my first 7.62x51 reloads with it last night. 147 grain mil-surp pulls, cci primers. Started at 43gr of powder, incremented by half a grain up to 46gr. Will test it on the chrony first sunny day I have off.

I am impressed with how well that powder drops! I've only used 4064 in the past, which is a stick powder and can be stubborn in a Dillon powder drop. The 846 flows as good or better than some pistol powder I've used!

I'm going to ask a question, but I want to state first it's just for my information, not because I'm going to be a retard and not build a load up myself from the suggested start, so please don't flame me.

How much variance are you seeing between different lots? Can you post some actual load numbers?

I haven't experienced different lots, everything I had was all the same lot number. I have experienced the difference between winter cold and summer heat with it though and it was enough to be noticeable. I learned to keep my ammo out of the direct sun at the range.

Sorry, I don't give reloading numbers. There is plenty of published data on the stuff. I will say that the vast majority of my loads were just below, at or just above starting loads. I do this for a couple of reasons, one is its just plinking fodder used at no more than 100 yds 99% of the time and at that distance I see no need to load heavy. The second is to preserve the brass a bit so it doesn't stretch and shorten its life.

As for mixing, I don't do it as I've not had the need to. I've read that some people do it, that their business. Every reloading book I've ever read discourages the mixing of powders. I'm not a chemist, nor do I have calibrated equipment to test burn rates so I use what data comes with the powder and lean toward lighter loads strictly for my own use.

Made my first 7.62x51 reloads with it last night. 147 grain mil-surp pulls, cci primers. Started at 43gr of powder, incremented by half a grain up to 46gr. Will test it on the chrony first sunny day I have off.

I am impressed with how well that powder drops! I've only used 4064 in the past, which is a stick powder and can be stubborn in a Dillon powder drop. The 846 flows as good or better than some pistol powder I've used!

I agree, the stuff is a pleasure to work with compared to any of the stick powders, it throws very consistantly in the Dillon.

What are you shooting it out of?

I load to Winchester 748 data and it is spot on. in my M1A, with 147 FMJ pills. I load at 44 grains, had Failure to feed below 42 gr and pressure signs (flat primers) at 46 gr.

I agree, the stuff is a pleasure to work with compared to any of the stick powders, it throws very consistently in the Dillon.

What are you shooting it out of?
Either a M1A or an AR-10.

I load to Winchester 748 data and it is spot on. in my M1A, with 147 FMJ pills. I load at 44 grains, had Failure to feed below 42 gr and pressure signs (flat primers) at 46 gr.

Hrm.. I thought it was BL-C2 that it lined up with. Good info, thanks. IIRC Quickload says 45gr should be around milspec/nato spec, so 44-45 should be the general ballpark. I agree with FGABF, no sense in loading it hotter than hell. I figure 44g will be the magic number.. I just have to get a free sunny day to take them and the chrony out.

Either a M1A or an AR-10.

Hrm.. I thought it was BL-C2 that it lined up with. Good info, thanks. IIRC Quickload says 45gr should be around milspec/nato spec, so 44-45 should be the general ballpark. I agree with FGABF, no sense in loading it hotter than hell. I figure 44g will be the magic number.. I just have to get a free sunny day to take them and the chrony out.

I would love to know the results! I don't have a chrony.

I use WC844 and load to H335 data. Stuff works great. The WC 846 uses BLC-2 or 748 data...apparently the data is the same for BLC-2 and 748.

There are 2 different ways to buy mil spec powder. As surplus and as pull down. Pull down powder is reclaimed from shells that have been taken apart. You may or may not get powder that comes from one lot this way. I discovered that putting a strainer in the funnel when filling the powder measure will trap any debris such as pulled bullets or other scrap. I've found 2 bullets in one can and all the others have been fine. It'd be prudent to consider each can being a different lot. I don't see how mixing this powder would cause problems as it likely is mixed up from the pull down process to begin with.

Surplus powder has never been loaded. It has been declared surplus and repackaged to sell retail. This is where lot numbers would normally be on the containers.

Finally got some test loads out to the range.
The WC846 in .308 ran very hot.. the starting loads were within milspec velocities despite being a couple grains shy of what the reloading data.
The WC844 in .223 was a different story though. What quickload said would be pushing max was still around 200FPS slow. Back to the drawing board on that one.

BTW.. I really like loading with this powder (I had previously used IMR 4064 for everything).. until you get a spillover (which I had when I was going from .308 to .223). It truly sucks to clean up!

I'll update this when I get a chance with range data and other information.

The WC844 in .223 was a different story though. What quickload said would be pushing max was still around 200FPS slow. Back to the drawing board on that one.
What did you use for a bullet and charge weight? What was your the Lot# on the powder? Velocity?

I just got some of this and I'm hoping you've done part of the work for me. [wink]

Update with range data.

What did you use for a bullet and charge weight? What was your the Lot# on the powder? Velocity?

I just got some of this and I'm hoping you've done part of the work for me. [wink]

I have all the info at home.. I don't dare post numbers off the top of my head. I'll post it for ya as soon as I can.
Ok, update with range information. Do your own homework, start low and work up. Any feedback is appreciated.

7.62 Nato, 147gr M80 Projectile, LC brass (mixed headstamps), CCI #34 primers.
Powder: WC846, Lot# SA-LC20521-109
16" barrel, chronograph 15' away from rifle
43.0gr: 2660,2614,2630,2582 (was VERY accurate)
43.5gr: 2642,2576,2650,2662

5.56 Nato, 55gr projectile, LC brass (mixed headstamps), CCI #41 primers.
Powder: WC844, lot #LC-12610
20" Barrel, chronograph 15' away from rifle
24.0gr: 2873,2930,2907,2879
24.5gr: 2923,2860,2893,2893
25.0gr: 2940,3002,2893,2924
25.5gr: 2997,2985,2996,2891 (was most accurate)
26.0gr: 3082,3065,3008,3052 (was Max load according to quickload)

5.56 Nato, 63gr SS109 projectile, LC brass (mixed headstamps), CCI #41 primers.
Powder: WC844, lot #LC-12610
20" Barrel, chronograph 15' away from rifle
23.0gr: 2603,2613,2568,2615 (accurate load)
23.5gr: 2669,2710,2668,2701
24.0gr: 2745,2754,2777 (was accurate)
24.5gr: 2854,2825,2846,2804
25.0gr: 2865,2873,2895

The 5.56 stuff seemed at least 100fps slow, assuming that the mil-spec velocity is for a 20" barrel.

Last edited:
, thanks for the update, now here is mine:

18" M1A scout
PPU brass
147 gr FMJ bullet

Same lot# powder as above. Started at 42 gr and worked up to 46. No FTF, FTE at 42 gr. 43 was most accurate and started getting pressure signs (flat primers) at 44.5 gr. so I didn't shoot the hotter rounds. Most accurate was 43 gr. off the bench. Again I don't have a chrony so I can't tell you velocity but I'm sure it's close to Gadsden's . I did not load .223 yet though.

, thanks for the update, now here is mine:

18" M1A scout
PPU brass
147 gr FMJ bullet

Same lot# powder as above. Started at 42 gr and worked up to 46. No FTF, FTE at 42 gr. 43 was most accurate and started getting pressure signs (flat primers) at 44.5 gr. so I didn't shoot the hotter rounds. Most accurate was 43 gr. off the bench. Again I don't have a chrony so I can't tell you velocity but I'm sure it's close to Gadsden's . I did not load .223 yet though.

Good info, thanks. I deemed 43gr to be the one I run with.. loading up around 100 rds now! [smile]

I haven't used the 844, can it be used in both 223 and .308?

Back
Top Bottom