Was gonna sell but.... w/range report

SKS Ray

NES Member
Ever had a few guns you always thought about selling but after you took them shooting you just knew you we're gonna hang onto them?
I have a 1905 Danzig Gew98 that I picked up for $200 at a gun show a while back and a Cooey Model 82 Canadian single shot training rifle that I got a year or so ago from a local shop for around $150. I had never shot the Gew 98 and the only shot the Cooey once for function but never took the time to adjust the sights to see how well it'd shoot.
After looking through my closet and seeing what I could sell next for some extra cash, these two rifles that I wasn't really familiar with came to mind. Neither really did anything for me but both we're bought for pretty good prices so I wound up buying them. Of course being the packrat collector I am, something told me to test them out first. I'm glad I decided to take them to the range today and see what they could do because now I think I'm going to hold onto them.[grin]

todays.jpg

My range is set up 25, 50, and 100 yards and when I got there someone had set up multiple targets on the 50 so I headed over to the 25 to test the Cooey. Some Cooey trainers have target/peep sights, others (like mine) have standard ladder sights. They were meant to train Canadian soldiers with cheap .22 ammo so they would have an idea how to shoot Enfields w/out wasting valuable 303 ammo.
The first thing you notice about this rifle is the beefy target barrel. Its comparable to some of today's custom .22 barrels in weight and size. I knew it had to be capable of good accuracy so I took a box of my prized and pricey Wolf Match Extra ammo with me.
Shooting off a bench my first few shots were about 4 inches from the bulls eye low and right. The front sight protector is held in place with a machine screw and nut and also keeps the front half of the 2 piece stock in place so the removal/drift adjustment/test fire procedure took some time but after 10 rounds I was dead center. Four shot adjustments on the ramp got me zeroed for height which equaled out to 14 rounds for sighting in with plenty of high priced ammo left for concentrated shooting.
After about 10 more shots to get used to the rifle's feel, I stuck a Caldwell Orange Peel target up and proceeded to tear a small ragged 1 shot 1/4 inch hole with only a couple of stragglers for the next 20 shots.[shocked] I knew these rifles shot well but had no idea they we're capable of that kind of accuracy.
Buzzing of such a high of good shooting I headed over to the 100 yard range with the Gew98. I tacked up a sighting in target and a standard NRA 100 small bore bulls eye target one next to it. Using Romanian 8mm ammo it took me 10 shots to get grouping right but once I did I moved over to the bulls eye target with no sight adjustments and landed 4 rounds in a straight line across the 9 ring with one flyer in 11 o'clock position in the 8 ring. I was amazed at how level the Gew98 shot because of the 400 yard starting roller coaster sights this rifle has, but once I got settled in every shot was in a perfect line straight across.
After I pulled my targets I walked back to the firing line, sat back and grinned with total tranquility as I was now the only one there and had enjoyed such a kick ass outing with two rifles I once knew very little about but now knew they we're now two of the top shooters in my collection.[smile]

It's always nice to discover a "sleeper." The Cooeys are well known (among the Canadians) for accuracy all out of proportion to their price. Many of the other WWII trainers from Savage and Mossberg are pretty good too.
You could probably start an interesting collection of milsurp .22 trainers.[devil]

Ever had a few guns you always thought about selling but after you took them shooting you just knew you we're gonna hang onto them?

Always! NEVER, EVER, take a gun to the range to "shoot one last time" or "to
just make sure that these are the ones to sell". It NEVER, EVER, works! It
always winds up with that particular gun(s) being put right back on the shelf.
It doesn't matter what it is. If you think you aren't sure then just put it back
since once you shoot it again, you're hooked. I speak from experience.

Back
Top Bottom