Warm weather spring fishing itch 2013

Ahh Alaska....nothing like catching 10 lb fish saying "I guess its ok size". Then you come home and realize the shiners we pull out of the rivers around here. Nice halibut!

Still water river hump in kayak and hit it with fly's and plugs. Trout,and Pickerel in the past. Big Pickerel..

Probably give it a go in April. Nice thread topic.

Here's me with a stringer from 1970. Must be about 10-20 rainbows and browns on there from my brothers, father, and myself. Was probably from Washacum or Browning in Central MA.

openingday1970.jpg

I am almost GTG Rods, reels, Kayak and licenses all set for salt and freshwater. Now I just have to replace my tackle. I took a few years off, stored my gear in a box and seems it all hit the dumpster at some point. So the next few months I'll be buying everything from a new tackle box to jiggs, lures, bobbers well everything except for the rods and reels............oh well it will be cheaper than buying ammo right now!!! [rofl]

good reminder, got to buy my license and some more line! they stock the brook behind my house, it does not get easier than walking out my backdoor!

Stillwater is excellent for salmon. Was literally kicking them wading through the water this past year. My favorite spot for fly fishing in MA

I have heard this but never been in the fall. I gotta get out there for that.

Im looking foward to fishing as well,I fish out of my out of my kayak,Milford,Wilton, Amherst, brookline areas

Anyone know of any good fishing spots in the blackstone valley
The spots my buddy and I frequented always seemed croweded
With little to catch. Only got into freshwater recently. Was always
A saltwater surf fisher until the loss of a family member made it
A lil difficult.

I'm glad I read this thread, I thought I had everything but forgot the license! Oops.

Thought I'd give ultralight tackle a try, local ponds and rivers, just to start.

Word of warning: I ordered a rod/reel combo from Cabela's, and it arrived taped to the outside of the rod tube?? Rod all banged up (thank you UPS) and they sent another...yup, taped to the outside of the rod tube again. No big deal with the lower end stuff I was buying, but for you guys who order the expensive stuff, something to consider..

I'm glad I read this thread, I thought I had everything but forgot the license! Oops.

Thought I'd give ultralight tackle a try, local ponds and rivers, just to start.

Word of warning: I ordered a rod/reel combo from Cabela's, and it arrived taped to the outside of the rod tube?? Rod all banged up (thank you UPS) and they sent another...yup, taped to the outside of the rod tube again. No big deal with the lower end stuff I was buying, but for you guys who order the expensive stuff, something to consider..

I think you'll like the ultralight rods and reels, at least if your fishing is like ours here. I use an Ugly Stick with a Shimano Quick Cast II Reel and 4 or 6lb Stren line. The fish locally rarely max over 6lbs so the lite/ultralite set-ups make for a great set-up!!

I did see a combo set-up at Dick's (not a shimano reel though) at $25 or $30 line on ready to go.

Best of luck!!!

I happen to work for another reputable shipping company, and I just have to say. Its not the carriers fault about bad packaging. The problem lies with the shipper. And just a note....Your packages literaly go onto a 5 miles roller coaster of sorts with things pushing and pulling packages. So the shipper is supposed to make there package able to withstand that kind of abuse.

I do feel for your inconvience though, never nice to come home and see your package, then open it and be like WTF!

I think you'll like the ultralight rods and reels, at least if your fishing is like ours here. I use an Ugly Stick with a Shimano Quick Cast II Reel and 4 or 6lb Stren line. The fish locally rarely max over 6lbs so the lite/ultralite set-ups make for a great set-up!!

I did see a combo set-up at Dick's (not a shimano reel though) at $25 or $30 line on ready to go.

Best of luck!!!

I think you are right, I had a setup a couple of years ago, a Quantum combo, very nice until the reel clonked out on me. The first time I used it, I was using a tiny spinner at the local park, just testing it out. I got a hit and it felt like Moby the whale was on the line...a few minutes later, and what is it? A very small pickerel. :)

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll check them out after I make the trip to BPS up in Foxborough, I'm sure I'll find something.

- - - Updated - - -

I happen to work for another reputable shipping company, and I just have to say. Its not the carriers fault about bad packaging. The problem lies with the shipper. And just a note....Your packages literaly go onto a 5 miles roller coaster of sorts with things pushing and pulling packages. So the shipper is supposed to make there package able to withstand that kind of abuse.

I do feel for your inconvience though, never nice to come home and see your package, then open it and be like WTF!

Oh, I agree, the packing on the inside is every bit the responsibility of the shipper. I'm just saying there is a difference between a lightly crushed corner and a crease or two, and something that looks like it got sat on by, well..me. :)

Really want to get into fly-fishing locally this year. Never had the time last year to learn, but did plenty of spin fishing and saltwater. Determined to find some spots.

Both boats (bassboat and Quabbin boat) are still snowed into the barn. Quabbin opens in about a month. Still have to reline the reels. I posted this mess last year, but it's the same chore (and only about half the collection).

384765_292317537479145_1282518876_n.jpg

FREE 8 lb mono - Metrowest, MA !!

For freshwater, all I ever use is UL gear. Lost lots of BIG fish and tales to tell about them, but I release them anyway (bass & picks). Sometimes I keep the trout to eat. Fishing use to be an obsession of mine, didn't go once last year. Mind on other things, too busy w/ legal BS tied around becoming a "free man.". LOL

You can catch Stripers from shore on the Charles River, I haven't gone in a few years, but the fish are always there in the spring chasing the herring. After 10 pm is best, carp fishermen leave by then, just have to look out for the debris floating down river and just about knocking you over! You need to be able to cast in the dark! Good waders are a must, any one interested give me a shout.

Jamaica Pond has lots of stocked trout as does Walden Pond & Ashland Reservoir. Both are great for early season. Great for people watching, too. ;-) Power eggs or small spinners fished very slow have always been very good to me. There are some NICE largemouth in Walden, people are too busy fishing for the trout! Plenty of yellow perch, too.

If any one wants free 8 lb mono - I have a massive filler spool, come over and fill up your reels! ALL the mono they sell now is good stuff IMHO compared to lines just 30 yrs ago or even 10 yrs ago. I'm close to Metrowest/Framingham area. Bring over some empty spools to fill up - REALLY! [shocked]

I tried to go for trout monday, and there was ice over the water.....If I don't get out there soon my head will explode!

Hoping to get out more this year on the kayak. Freshwater is where its at for me with some salt mixed in.

Back
Top Bottom