War Baby

Many years ago I had a very nice all original Winchester M1 Carbine but needed to sell it when things got tough. It has been a hole in my collection ever since. So, yesterday when I came across this Winchester Carbine I decided it was time to make amends. While not as nice as my first one, it is still a very good shooter.

From what I can gather, it was made somewhere mid 1943 so is in the first batch made by Winchester. It has been through the arsenal rebuilt but I believe it still retains the original Winchester barrel with the Type 1 front sight. Just about everything else was upgraded during the rebuild. The stock has the "P" rebuild mark on the wrist and no other markings so I am thinking the stock and handguard are both arsenal replacements. It has a very small National Ordinance import mark which means it served with an ally for a while that made it's way back sometime in the late 80's. The bore is mint. I paid less than what CMP was charging for their Italian imports when they had them so I am very happy with the deal as well as the gun.

I have the Garand, the 03A3 and now the carbine. That just leaves the M17 on the list. I had to sell my M28 Finn and will most likely let a Chilean mauser go out the door as well to pay for this, but sometimes you just have to make choices about what belongs in your collection.

View attachment 21510View attachment 21511View attachment 21512View attachment 21513View attachment 21514View attachment 21515View attachment 21516View attachment 21517View attachment 21518

Last edited:
Don't forget the 1903 Springfield or Rock Island.... have to have one of those, too! But don't worry, those will be cheap. I promise.

And it was nice to see you again this morning, Niner. That M28 Ski Trooper will have a good home.

So, when do you get the 1941 Johnson?

LOL...... that would be nice but unless I find one for $500 I will be waiting a long time so I keep it off the list. It is the same reason the Tommy gun is not on the list. $20,000 for a gun is just not in the realm of my reality. :)

Don't forget the 1903 Springfield or Rock Island.... have to have one of those, too! But don't worry, those will be cheap. I promise.

And it was nice to see you again this morning, Niner. That M28 Ski Trooper will have a good home.

It was nice to see you too Martin, and I cannot think of a better home for the Ski Trooper.

The 03A3 is a variation of the 03, so it is not high on the list and the 03A3 will do for now. Perhaps after the M17 I will look for an 03. But who knows, I will pick up good deals when I find them. The hunt is the most fun part.

I don't have a Winchester yet... nor the Inland, I/P, Standard Products, nor the National Postal Meter.

I need to get on those.

Back
Top Bottom