Want to Rent and Shoot!

I'm new here and have an LTC-A application pending. I've never shot before and I'd like to find a place to rent and shoot a gun before I purchase anything. From what I've read on the forum it sounds like I don't need my license to rent. I'm leaning towards a 9mm for my first CC gun. After researching a little bit, the most appealing to me are the Ruger sr9c and the S&W MP9c. I understand that might all change after I've handled/shot them. I live in southeastern MA near the cape and would like to find the closest place to take a ride and shoot.

American Firearm School in North Attleboro rents handguns, just not the S&W MP9c or the Ruger SR9c. Their primary rental handguns are Glocks and Sigs.

I would guess that the Smith and Wesson Shooting Center in Springfield would probably be able to rent you a MP9c.

NOT close at all, but Manchester Firing Line in NH may have both for use on their rental range. Give them a call if you are up to taking that long of a ride.

Its probably a drive for you but Manchester Firing Line in Manchester Nh probably has both of those guns, I know they had the full size sr9 but not sure if its got the updated trigger on it that comes standard for the sr9c. I have the compact version though and its a great gun.

You should call AFS in North Attleboro to see if they have the pistols you are interested, and maybe try a few more out. I was going to hit up AFS when I was looking to purchase, but one of the pistols I wanted to shoot wasn't available for rental, so instead I went to Hoffmans in Newington CT (just south of Hartford). They have an AWESOME collection of pistols to shoot and it is actually really cheap to rent and shoot. Manchester had a great selection too, but I found their rentals to be a bit pricey, especially if you want to rent a few different pistols.

Hoffmans will probably not let you shoot until you have your LTC first.

Thanks for the input everybody. Looks like I'm going to give AFS a shot. After checking out their website, they seem to be "new guy" friendly. I would much rather spend $50-$100 before dropping the money on an impulse buy.

Last edited:
You cant beat the SR9c. 400 bucks gets you a lot of gun for the money. It even has a decent trigger. My son in law has the C and I have the full size. I like both of them. The compact even comes with a pinky rest on one of the mags. IMHO you can't get a better new pistol for 400 bucks than the SR9. I also own the M&P. Great gun but you have to pop for the 150 dollar Apex Comp trigger kit and install it to get it shootable. Mine was a safe queen before the trigger kit. Great pistol but it will cost you 250 bucks more than the Ruger after the kit and higher initial price.

Give AFS a call, they do have a good variety of guns. I thought they had M&P 9c last time I was there but it's been a while. If you go with the m&p given your location, you could either do the Apex kit or have Greg Derr fix it. You will need the trigger fixed.

I doubt you will be able to rent an M&P anywhere but S&W... or maybe Bob's tactical has one for rent. I don't think I've seen M&Ps for rent at MFL, but I could be wrong. I'm sort of surprised AFS doesn't have one. (or maybe they do?)

Renting an SR9c.... that's double/triple unlikely. Ruger doesn't really sell parts direct or have an armorer program, so keeping those in service at a pay range would be a pain in the ass to the shop owner.

Most pay ranges I know of have ear and eye pro for rental... but if you're going to start shooting anyways, you should probably invest in your own. I would "plug and muff" on any indoor range.

-Mike

Last edited:
You cant beat the SR9c. 400 bucks gets you a lot of gun for the money. It even has a decent trigger. My son in law has the C and I have the full size. I like both of them. The compact even comes with a pinky rest on one of the mags. IMHO you can't get a better new pistol for 400 bucks than the SR9. I also own the M&P. Great gun but you have to pop for the 150 dollar Apex Comp trigger kit and install it to get it shootable. Mine was a safe queen before the trigger kit. Great pistol but it will cost you 250 bucks more than the Ruger after the kit and higher initial price.

Is that because it has a special Mass trigger or do the free state version have the same issue?

Is that because it has a special Mass trigger or do the free state version have the same issue?

Just my opinion . . .

Two of my M&Ps were new, free-state versions and the triggers were terrible. Two friends who are LEOs that were involved with transitioning their PDs to M&P 45s reported the same sort of results (and grittiness/trigger pull varied from gun to gun even though they were bought in a single batch). All of us actually measured trigger pulls on numerous guns, so this wasn't just "an opinion" but backed with objective data.

My carry M&P started with a MA trigger and Dave Santurri did a superb job on it before I bought it from another NES'r. My two new M&Ps went to Greg Derr who also did a superb job making them all a pleasure to shoot.

Trigger jobs were $85 from Santurri with almost instant turn-around and $75 (at last report) from Greg Derr that took 1 week to get done.

You are wrong. [smile]

Good to know that. [grin] There are so many rentals at MFL, that all I really noticed was the HKs, Glocks, and Sigs.... well, that and the LCP (which I actually rented there before buying one).

-Mike

AFS does rent out M&P's....here is PDF lists all of the rental firearms at AFS. http://www.americanfirearmsschool.com/AFS Rental Firearms.pdf

Also they provide free eye and ear protection at the range.

I've been shooting there while trying to decide on which private range/club to join. Good place if you can get in during off peak hours...place is packed on the weekends though. If you only shoot pistols you have a better chance of getting in quicker.

I been to AFS a couple of times. Just remember it public so you will see all walk of life.
Going back tommorrow to fire a couple of Sig's, but they have decent selection of M&P's and the full size SR9.

Back
Top Bottom