Want to become an NRA instructor

Just like the title says, I want to become an NRA instructor, but the fees to become one are quite steep. Anyone have any suggestions on how to mitigate the costs?

I took the class with Scouter Rick. If this is something you want to do, the cost shouldn't be a factor. After holding one class, you got your money back. The problem is the wait time on the credentials.

The GOAL NRA Instructor Course at $295 for GOAL members ($450 FOR NON-MEMBERS) includes the following:
NRA Basic Instructor Training
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor Training
NRA Basic Home Firearm Safety Instructor Training
GOAL BFS Law Primer
Basic Pistol course wall charts
If you are a GOAL & NRA member, we'll cover you initial instructor training and processing fees.

One word: investment.

The supply of NRA training counselors is limited, largely due to the time commitment and cost to become one. Training counselors pay fees for their class, plus generally have to travel somewhere to take their training and spend a day or two in a hotel. Plus, the universal culture is "charge" - I've never seen one offer the training to members of a club on a volunteer basis (as is common for the basic courses).

But, it's a great investment for half the price of a decent handgun, and having the credential not only lets you get the MA instructor certificate, but can come in very handy over the years (for example, "NRA instructor who carries sample guns to publicly announced locations for training classes" is one way to get an unrestricted LTC-A in Boston if you play your cards right). I can't say it's what did it alone, however, I certainly don't think having been certified for 20+ years hurt with one of my non-MA "may issue" applications that went through without difficulty.

If you intend to teach commercially you will make the money back. If you plan on doing it at your club as a volunteer, see if you can get the club to let you put in for reimbursement for the training after your first class at the club brings in enough for them to write the check with black ink.

Last edited:
I don't belong to any club yet, I have been thinking about joining at newport with the wife, we will see after taxes though. I am a good teacher and have taught many to shoot, now I just want to do it and get paid for it.

+1 for Scouter Rick's course. Great instructor and money well spent--was REALLLLLY good at talking me down when I got worried about qualifying...that's last time I listen to my wife on the way out to the door [rofl]

As far as cost, I look at it as my chance to give back and preserve what we are constantly struggling to keep. Any and every person I can turn into a confident and competent firearm owner, the better it is for all of us.

I took the class with Scouter Rick. If this is something you want to do, the cost shouldn't be a factor. After holding one class, you got your money back. The problem is the wait time on the credentials.

Rick was awesome. The wait sucks. Then when you get your nra certificate you have to wait again to get your state police certificate.

But when the wait is finally over, you will enjoy it.

It sucks right now tho. I enjoy the live fire classes and finding ammo makes it almost impossible. Unless they just shoot 22lr. But I like letting them start with 22 and work up to 45.

But it is really fun taking a woman that has never shot a gun to the range and after teaching her she out shoots her husband or boyfriend.

Women are just naturally good shots. Or maybe because they listen better.

One of the best things I ever did despite the cost, I've probably brought over 200 people to exercise their constitutional rights, and once in a while there's a rare treat,..like the 13yo, who'd never shot a gun before, who was a natural podigy- sure hope his dad took my advice and got him into competitive shooting! The rewards are worth the cost, find a way to do it.

You're too cheap to cough up $300 to take a course to become an instructor, but you expect students to pay you to teach them? Seems awfully hypocritical.

I support NRA instructors who do it because they love to teach and want to spread an appreciation and understanding of our hobby, not because they want to make money.

I highly recommend the course at GOAL, Jon Green is a great training counselor. I also recommend Rick Sitte's (Scouter Rick) instructor course.
I was one of nine that just completed the NRA Basic Pistol Instructor Course at GOAL this weekend 2/22-24.

This is a terrific class. The group was really engaged and Jon is an excellent instructor. We spent Friday 12-6pm in the classroom, Saturday 8am to 6:30pm in the classroom, This morning 7:45 to 12:30 at the range (Worcester Pistol & Rifle) and until 5pm today back in the classroom.

There are a number of both hands-on and written tests. I had very little revolver experience, some others less experience with semi auto pistols, rifles or shotguns - and you need to know all of them. This mixture of experience wound up helping everyone so by the end of the course everyone was pretty switched on.

There were four or five Army vets in the class, and two LEO. Age range was from late 20's to a lot. Great class overall and I'm psyched up to go start helping new shooters!

I was one of nine that just completed the NRA Basic Pistol Instructor Course at GOAL this weekend 2/22-24.

This is a terrific class. The group was really engaged and Jon is an excellent instructor. We spent Friday 12-6pm in the classroom, Saturday 8am to 6:30pm in the classroom, This morning 7:45 to 12:30 at the range (Worcester Pistol & Rifle) and until 5pm today back in the classroom.

There are a number of both hands-on and written tests. I had very little revolver experience, some others less experience with semi auto pistols, rifles or shotguns - and you need to know all of them. This mixture of experience wound up helping everyone so by the end of the course everyone was pretty switched on.

There were four or five Army vets in the class, and two LEO. Age range was from late 20's to a lot. Great class overall and I'm psyched up to go start helping new shooters!

How much was collected for using the W word?

[laugh]

Vets and cops have a hard time with that one....

I also had minimal experience with revolvers when I took my course a year ago. I had rented a 686 a week before the class to learn the basics. I wore the W a lot.....great course!

Another Plus for scouter ricks course. took it in October 2012 had to wait to get Credentials in January. im now waiting for Mass state police certs. Highly recommend.

Sounds like it's about 3 months to get credentials from the NRA. Does anybody know if this is typical these days?

How long after that to receive the MA state police certification?

I took the Home Firearms Safety and Basic Pistol Instructor course on June 15/16 and received the card and certificate in today's mail. I filled out the MSP form and it's in the mailbox waiting to be picked up. On the NRA instructors web site they have this notice,

NRA Training Department has processed all Instructor / RSO applications received through Sunday, July 21, 2013. We are currently experiencing an all time high demand for NRA Instructor/RSO certification.

If you are an NRA Member your certification was activated when your Training Counselor submitted their electronic report. Your member number is your instructor number and you are authorized to conduct training now. If you can log in to nrainstuctors.org and open an account, you are active.

If you are NOT a member, you will need to wait for your credentials to arrive by mail. We apologize for any inconvenience the current delay is causing. Please be assured we are focused on this situation and are working hard to get current.

What are the criteria for becoming an instructor? Is there an age limit or anything like that?

What are the criteria for becoming an instructor? Is there an age limit or anything like that?

You need to be 21 to be a full instructor. Younger than that and you are an assistant. You can teach, but need another instructor working with you to certify the course.

Back
Top Bottom