Want a gun permit in NY? Hand over your Facebook (and other social media) passwords

Where does it say you're required to give the state the password or are you editorializing for karma?

Where does it say you're required to give the state the password or are you editorializing for karma?
Nowhere does it say but if you have a completely locked down public facebook page, do you think they'll just let it go and not ask for more material once they realize they can't read through your last three years of public posts?

Hard NO. This violates the Bruen decision & the 1st, 4th, and 5th. Lawsuits should be already inbound or be close to it.
Shit like this is also a good reason not to have social media. Problem of going around it is do they just look for FB, IG, Twitter? One reason not to use common usernames across platforms.

Nowhere does it say but if you have a completely locked down public facebook page, do you think they'll just let it go and not ask for more material once they realize they can't read through your last three years of public posts?
Kinda what I was wondering. Just set all your SM to private? If it isn't already

Doesn't matter. Giving "them" your username and password is a violation of the terms of service you agreed to when you signed up. They are asking you to violate that agreement of which you can simply say "No". Last I heard the state can't require you to violate the terms of a legal binding contract which is what you have once you agree to the terms of service.

Game the system. Open up an account and make it a honey pot filled with all the bullsh*t they want to see for approval.
We should all do that now.

Pro-DNC everything. Joe Biden is awesome memes. Orange Man Bad memes. Videos of Chris Wray testifying and caption it “I so love our brave FBI leaders!!”. Etc.

Article says "applicants have to provide local officials with a list of current and former social media accounts from the previous three years", nowhere does it define "social media account" nor mention passwords or access credentials (you have locked down your account with multi-factor authentication, haven't you?).

That's the point of "Shall Issue" -- they can ask (well, they can't in states like New Hampshire which prohibit requiring anything beyond the official one-sheet application), but can't deny solely because you won't give them something above and beyond what is required in the plain language of the statute...

Yeah the thing about all this is they may not even be able to get any information. Mine is semi locked, you get profile pictures, my profession (pirate - red flag!), a few details, but not my posts or my friends. Particularly girls I know, to cut down on dick pics and stalkers, they hide everything - often aren't even searchable really.

What do they do with a social media account they can't see? Will they force you to open up private and otherwise hidden information to them?

I think this law, maybe it does find some low hanging "fruit" - real wackos who post threats yet are too stupid to hide anything, but mostly it just shows the lawmakers don't understand how social media works.

It’ll be interesting to see where this goes. That commie bitch will try to tie everything up in courts for years either way.

Hard NO. This violates the Bruen decision & the 1st, 4th, and 5th. Lawsuits should be already inbound or be close to it. Shit like this is also a good reason not to have social media.

Problem of going around it is do they just look for FB, IG, Twitter? One reason not to use common usernames across platforms.
I have an uncommon name.

If you went by the first user you find on FB or IG with a name matching mine, you'd think I was really into golf but not much else -- not me, but he doesn't put up selfies so tough to make that determination based on the profile and other publicly available data.

Someone I know did just that to make himself more employable.
Someone I know did just that to make himself more employable.
I find that amusing, as in my industry, too much "Social Media" presence/activity is a red-flag for prospective employees.

LinkedIn is acceptable, but somebody with a dedication to Fecebook or Instagramp is either wasting time or failing at operational security.

We see here Bladerunner that you have used the phrase "commie ballwashing faggots" to describe anti 2A police chiefs at least two hundred times during your years of posting on the pro gun, white supremecist recruitment site, the NES forum.

Is it you contention that these officers that are the target of your misinformation are indeed commie ballwashing faggots?

Last edited:
It’ll be interesting to see where this goes. That commie bitch will try to tie everything up in courts for years either way.

It’s a 1st amendment violation, it will be struck down fairly quickly. The rest of the bill isn’t much better, there will be a lot of lawsuits filed over it.

It’s a 1st amendment violation, it will be struck down fairly quickly. The rest of the bill isn’t much better, there will be a lot of lawsuits filed over it.
The law takes effect on 01 September 2022. I don't think any lawsuits can be filed before the law goes into effect

This sucks for NY Patriots, but overall, all these unconstitutional laws will lead to multiple high five threads here on NES once the smackdown of decisions starts rolling in.

Back
Top Bottom