Walther PP or Sauer 38H

My dad has 2 WWII era Nazi marked pistols. One is a Walther PP and the other is a Sauer und Son 38H. Both pistols are in similar condition. I am hoping to inherit both from him some day, but it looks like he will be giving one to his grandson (my nephew) for his graduation. If he decides to give one to my nephew, I get to choose which one will be left to me. My question is which one do I choose. Both were acquired by my dad in exchange for work he did, so there is no family history with either one. I do like both of them, but as far as value, rarity, collectability, which would you choose?

I will go against the grain, Sauer 38H is a fantastic pistol, ahead of its time with both de-cocker and re-cocker and in my opinion undervalued. Will never have the cache of the Walther, but hey, everybody has a PP!! [smile]

Tough decision but I would go with the PP. The ones I have, have never let me down. They are more basic than a 38H which has more moving parts that could need replacing.

They are more basic than a 38H which has more moving parts that could need replacing.

That and I would think Walther replacement parts would be much easier to find than the Sauer parts. I have never owned a Sauer so I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure way more PP's were produced than 38H's.

The 38H is a far more interesting pistol in my opinion. It is also much harder to find but is much cheaper than a PP. The PP captures something for collectors that make them more sought after. I am not sure what that is. So, from a collectors perspective, the PP is more desirable. But from a cool gun perspective, the 38H is better. IF all things are equal as far as condition, then I would go for the PP because I do not have one and they are far more expensive than the 38H.

I just love all of them

I'll get another PP in .22 next week. NIB with spare mag and cleaning kit and 1972 vintage.
Heirs didn't want it and wanted to turn it in for destruction. $ 60 later she's mine and will be
a good companion for my 1938 and 1970 vintage ones.

Back
Top Bottom