Waiting for the LTC - Should I call?

So it's been 42 days since I submitted all the requirements for my LTC in Fall River, MA. When I submitted it was supposedly going to take 4-6 weeks. 2 weeks ago I called and was told that my prints had come back, but they were waiting on the Deputy Chief to get back from vacation to review applications.

Now at 6 weeks, I'm wondering if I should call back again to ask if there have been any updates on my application? I don't want to pester or annoy the PD and have my app delayed, so should I just hold off? I've got money down on my firearm, and want to be able to purchase before things get much more expensive. What does everyone think?

You should be okay- I is a pain to wait so long, everyone goes through it. Just hold tight, and call or swing in in at eight weeks.

CHSB's job is done when your plastic card is in the mail from them to your PD for them to give it to you.

Scratch that... I just called CHSB anyway and they told me to call the police department I applied through. Is there some direct number I should call for a better response?

yea, sometimes you get that. sometimes they'll help and sometimes they wont, depends on who you get....and what mood theyre in. Just gotta be patient at this point/try again another day....

yea, sometimes you get that. sometimes they'll help and sometimes they wont, depends on who you get....and what mood theyre in. Just gotta be patient at this point/try again another day....

Thanks for the advice, and nice avatar. I'll let everyone know how it goes. This feels like it's going SO slow.

In January I had my LTC in less than 3 weeks. It's been over 6 weeks for my dad now (same town). I don't think it hurts to drop in to your local PD and check to se eif its in. I was told I'd get a phone call when it was in, and I didn't hear from them but figured it was worth a shot to stop in and see.

Yea, these will be some of the slowest weeks in a loong time... and it sucks because theres no tracking number to know where its clogged up at. In the mean time, you know what you're first purchase will be?

(And thanks for the compliment about my avatar!)

I actually put down half the amount on 92FS and pre-ban 15rnd mag at FSguns. Also have a friend selling me a Ruger MkIII 512 Bull with AG grips and a red dot for target shooting. I'll be ready to go!

EDIT: Called again, different person... this time they asked if I was in-state or out of state, and when I said in-state he said call local PD.

You said you prints came back. Are you sure that the prints were OK and they didn't want you to retake them? Sometimes they come back if they are not okay. Maybe they meant that they wanted you to come down and redo the prints. I would just walk in there play dumb and be like is there a way to check on the status of my application, I am not sure if I need to retake the prints... Atleast that way you have an excuse to go down there.

Six weeks out I called and they said you LTC is right here swing by when you get a chance. If you have any ligit reason to contact them (turkey season), I would use it. Also I would go down in person, before I called.

Go to PD and act dumb - I got some voicemail from this person and didnt know if I had to come in and do something, etc... "something about my fingerprints??"

The best way to get information out of the CHSB is to tell them that your PD said the delay was their fault. That seems to get them annoyed enough to actually check. Otherwise you usually get the "we cannot give out private information over the telephone" line. But delays seem to rarely actually be the fault of the CHSB; though they did recently cause a delay for everybody when they ran out of supplies to actually print the licenses. [thinking]

So I called the PD, and I guess not only did the Deputy Chief have vacation scheduled, but so did the person responsible for working on firearms licensing... so I just applied at an unlucky time... nothing else to do about it. The detective who works on licensing was nice enough to explain it, and he said I should have my permit by the end of next week. Putting the grand total at 8 weeks if it gets here on time. Oh well, at least I know when now.

Back
Top Bottom