• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

VTac Triple Threat Drill Modified for Pistol

Wishse

Instructor
Dealer
NES Member
This is a useful drill especially if you're used to shooting it from the top down. This approach requires multiple target shifts forcing the shooter to work the basics. Also using a target with a very small head area keeps you honest

http://youtu.be/VmRmHemJDIU

why not go from the draw?

No reason you couldn't, I suppose. Depends on what you're working on. The more skills used in a drill, the more shooter inconsistencies can hide where the problems are. I'm guessing that you know, +/- a tenth, what your draw to first shot time is and have practiced draws enough that you can tell when you've blown one. A less consistent, less experienced shooter is not going to be able to look at the timer and accurately gauge their progress.

What is the rationale for the d***shots? Is it to get around body armor?

Breaking the times down by draw, splits and transitions would be a lot more insightful than just the overall time. I suspect the press out is slowing you down.

The concept is shots to the pelvic girdle (pelvis) may cause damage further and therefore stop the threat. In the context of this drill, I believe it's forcing you to deliver an additional hit to another area outside of the standard Down Zero zone or the face. This drill was created for carbines.

You could definitely run this from holster. I was just showing it from a high ready position. The drill on carbine is run from a ready potion.

What is the rationale for the d***shots? Is it to get around body armor?

Breaking the times down by draw, splits and transitions would be a lot more insightful than just the overall time. I suspect the press out is slowing you down.

FWIW, I had been taught, to shoot the pelvic area as well over ten or so years ago. At the time I was shooting failure drills, but rather than always shoot for the head, learn to shoot for the groin as it can have crippling/fight ending consequence by destroying the pelvis and one's ability to walk. A second reason was that arterial bleeding is likely a result as well. I would also think it is a bigger target than one's head and thus a little more forgiving if a perfect shot isn't realized.

Dave

FWIW, I had been taught, to shoot the pelvic area as well over ten or so years ago. At the time I was shooting failure drills, but rather than always shoot for the head, learn to shoot for the groin as it can have crippling/fight ending consequence by destroying the pelvis and one's ability to walk. A second reason was that arterial bleeding is likely a result as well. I would also think it is a bigger target than one's head and thus a little more forgiving if a perfect shot isn't realized.

Dave

Thanks, Dave. Right on point and a valuable perspective!

Back
Top Bottom