Vortex Introduces new Strike Eagle FFP 5-25X56 with all the bells and whistles

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Looks like Vortex introduced a new Strike Eagle this month and it seems to be getting some very good reviews. Comes with sharp glass, FFP, 34mm tube with illuminated ebr7 in both moa and mils, 110 MOA / 31 MRAD of elevation, locking turrets, rev zero stop and Vortex added a throw lever. Price seems to be low to mid $600s, which is not bad for a scope with these features.

I got mine last week. I got my rings and my level came yesterday so now I can mount it up.

So far I am impressed but I have yet to shoot it.

Looks like Vortex introduced a new Strike Eagle this month and it seems to be getting some very good reviews. Comes with sharp glass, FFP, 34mm tube with illuminated ebr7 in both moa and mils, 110 MOA / 31 MRAD of elevation, locking turrets, rev zero stop and Vortex added a throw lever. Price seems to be low to mid $600s, which is not bad for a scope with these features.

Yup, made in China too, lol!!!!

thats worse than MA
Their AMG line is made in the USA.

AMG = American Made Glass

maybe so, but vortex still does business with Chinese communists so I won’t by any of there products. And the AMG line is priced similar or above a Leopold or Nightforce, companies that don’t do bus with communists so why even consider a vortex? I won’t even look at them......

Here's my thoughts:
When I hear "Nightforce, I think rugged and decent Japanese glass." Because a lot of people who own them think so.
When I hear "Schmidt&Bende", I think clear glass great turrets, because a lot of people who own them think so.
When I hear "Leupold", I think good reticles and good all around scope, because a lot of people who own them think so.
When I hear "Vortex", I think great warranty, because a lot of people who own them had to use it. I have exactly one Vortex product left (Viper PST 1-6 gen2) which is made in Japan, but I just sold a 3-18 Strike Eagle because it was not anywhere near what I'd expect from my gear. Their red dots like the crossfire, the sparc and strikefire are plain rubbish. You can get a Nightforce FFP for around $400 more, and a Leupold Mark 4 for $700 at Midway. You know, all these zero stop and other features don't make for a BETTER scope, it just makes for a more COMPLICATED scope. Go for solid turrets, good tracking and clear glass instead of Doodads.

Their AMG line is made in the USA.

AMG = American Made Glass

It would be interesting to find out if the actual glass/lenses are made in the United States, or whether they are just assembled here. Typically, high end glass is Japanese.

When I hear "Vortex", I think great warranty, because a lot of people who own them had to use it.

I hear people say that but it’s not been my experience. I have three Viper PSTs and none of them have had to go back to the company for repair. One of them is on my Savage Stealth which I use for PRS matches. I’ve repeatably have hit the 1000 yard plate with this rifle scope combo. In looking at the folks competing more the 50% of the competitors are using Vortex. That seems to debunk the rumor that they suck.

I hear people say that but it’s not been my experience. I have three Viper PSTs and none of them have had to go back to the company for repair. One of them is on my Savage Stealth which I use for PRS matches. I’ve repeatably have hit the 1000 yard plate with this rifle scope combo. In looking at the folks competing more the 50% of the competitors are using Vortex. That seems to debunk the rumor that they suck.
Their Viper product line (at least the gen2 that I know of) is made in Japan. Mine has treated me well too, but we are discussing the new Strike Eagle here, aren't we? And the fact of the matter is that Sniper's hide, Sniper forums and others are littered with threads of Vortex products failing. Fact.

maybe so, but vortex still does business with Chinese communists so I won’t by any of there products. And the AMG line is priced similar or above a Leopold or Nightforce, companies that don’t do bus with communists so why even consider a vortex? I won’t even look at them......
I understand the sentiment about the CCP and China, but do you realize how much of what you use every day is actually made in China right now? I don't like it either, but for now that is the reality. I hope it changes, but unfortunately our progressive politicians love the totalitarian power Communism gives them so they keep moving us in the same direction.

FIFY. Afaik, there's only 4-5 factories in the free world that produce sport optics glass, and none of them is in the US.

The people saying they don't want any PRC materials in their optics are either going to have to choose between no optics or paying for mid to high end stuff. I think most of the people bitching aren't even looking for optics, but rather an opportunity to virtue signal.

Their Viper product line (at least the gen2 that I know of) is made in Japan. Mine has treated me well too, but we are discussing the new Strike Eagle here, aren't we? And the fact of the matter is that Sniper's hide, Sniper forums and others are littered with threads of Vortex products failing. Fact.

The Sniper’s Hide has a fairly lengthy review post going now on this new Strike Eagle. So far about 20 people have purchased them. All seem to like it so far but it will be interesting to see the long term performance of these.

I kinda follow your gun related posts because you seem to have some really good stuff. In my mind, you're the polar opposite of a skinflint when it comes to firearms. Why in hell would you go for el cheapo questionable glass on your premium sticks? Just curious, because it doesn't make much sense.

Ha! Yeah I usually don’t skinflint on gun related stuff. Sometimes though a good economical scope is a good choice for plinking fun that doesn’t warrant high cost glass. Just looking at this as a possible choice for this kind of thing.

The people saying they don't want any PRC materials in their optics are either going to have to choose between no optics or paying for mid to high end stuff. I think most of the people bitching aren't even looking for optics, but rather an opportunity to virtue signal.

Yup. Even if the scope or red dot reads made in Philippines, Japan or USA, where are all the components sourced from? The LED emitters, reflectors, small parts, aluminum, screws are probably sourced from elsewhere.

I understand the sentiment about the CCP and China, but do you realize how much of what you use every day is actually made in China right now? I don't like it either, but for now that is the reality. I hope it changes, but unfortunately our progressive politicians love the totalitarian power Communism gives them so they keep moving us in the same direction.

that is true. I work to avoid Chinese products. for example, I don’t shop at harbor freight, I needed some deep sockets for a project and I just spent close to $400 on a Snap On set as opposed to maybe $65 at harbor freight. It takes commitment and deeppockets to support America but it is a good feeling to know your helping to save America manufacturing. I buy Leopold scopes and have done so for decades. while I really disagree it’s LL Beans policy of not selling handguns or black rifles in their store, (they only sell fudd guns). I buy a lot of shoes from them because the shoes are still made in Maine. And yes, they are expensive.

FIFY. Afaik, there's only 4-5 factories in the free world that produce sport optics glass, and none of them is in the US.

That's correct, as far as I know. I don't know rifle scopes, but I know something about spotting scopes, binoculars, and camera lenses, all of which require similar quality glass. The best manufacturers are all German or Japanese. There are no American optics production factories anymore; there haven't been in many, many years.

That's correct, as far as I know. I don't know rifle scopes, but I know something about spotting scopes, binoculars, and camera lenses, all of which require similar quality glass. The best manufacturers are all German or Japanese. There are no American optics production factories anymore; there haven't been in many, many years.

so Leupold is not being 100% truth full?

Counterfeit Warning | Leupold

Leupold riflescopes are all designed, machined, and assembled in our Beaverton Oregon manufacturing facility. We do not have any other riflescope manufacturing facilities or offices anywhere in the world. So if you come across a Leupold riflescope being shipped into the United States from China, it is a very likely a counterfeit.

in any event, German or japan are not communist china........

Leupold does not make their own glass. They use Asian glass, some Japanese, some Chinese.

I work to avoid Chinese products... I buy Leopold scopes and have done so for decades.

TSE8iOu.jpg

Unfortunately the Strike Eagle does not have a revolution counter...so if you're going beyond 750 yards, you can "lose count" on revolutions. Seems like an obvious shortfall for a scope with that much elevation travel...

I think the big differentiator is ruggedness, with precision/repeatability second. Most scope buyers use them on the bench at the club or for hunting - pretty light duty.

Back
Top Bottom