Visited Kittery Trading Post Today...

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
We had lunch with some of the wife's family and the Cracker Barrel in Londonderry, NH, today. After that we popped over to Kittery, ME, and of course I had to go look at GUNS.

Saw a couple that interested me, but with the Bank of the Wife present (and closed) all I did was window shop.

1. A very nice post-war Yugo assembled K98k, scrubbed receiver with strong crest, mix of WaA parts and post war parts. Standard phosphate stamped trigger assembly with round screws, repaired varnished stock, flat butt plate, no take down disk; had hood, no cleaning rod. Bolt MM, great bore; a little dirty, but sharp. $295.

2. Savage marked #4 Mark 1 Enfield. Bolt MM (bolt heavy with cosmo), very good bore, strong and clear. Great, clean wood. Most small partsmarked with Savage "S". Very sharp gray-green parkerized finish; weren't these blued? Then it has been refinished. Missing magazine, $275.

3. 5 M91/30s, three Tulas, 1938-1943, at least one all matching. Didn't look at $.

4. Italian Caracano carbine

5. M95 Steyr carbine, matching.

MS

2. Savage marked #4 Mark 1 Enfield. Bolt MM (bolt heavy with cosmo), very good bore, strong and clear. Great, clean wood. Most small parts marked with Savage "S". Very sharp gray-green parkerized finish; weren't these blued? Then it has been refinished. Missing magazine, $275.

How should a Savage Enfield be finished?

MS

I was at KTP yesterday. The mosin 91/30 was priced $200. There are a few M44 carbine priced from $150.

I only check one of M44. Bolt serial do not match the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. 4 Savages were not blued. The gray/green finish would be correct. If it was really nice $275 is a steal.

My 1942 No4 Savage.....
pix220920546.jpg

A few factors on the Savage... who was the importer? I know you said bolt was MM but how many if any parts matched? Did it come with a sling? If so what color were the keepers? The magazine will run about $40 to $50.

Price seems fair compared to the $250 I paid years ago for a near mint all matching model. Park'd finish is original, after all, they're US guns.[wink]

Didn't look for an import mark; none on the receiver. I only looked at the receiver and bolt for numbers. When I looked for the "S", most parts had them, but most small parts were unnumbered. No sling. Bolt was white, unlike Karl's Parked.

MS

GB has them; original $40, new $26.

Last edited:
If you're up for a mini road trip, I say go back for it and search for a mag. They're not getting cheaper and as you know auctions are sometimes a gamble.

If you're up for a mini road trip, I say go back for it and search for a mag. They're not getting cheaper and as you know auctions are sometimes a gamble.

I wish I could; Bank of the Wife is closed. It was quite nice, especially the wood, bore, and finish. What's the deal with a white bolt?

GB runs between $250 and $600; none looked as nice.

MS

Last edited:
The small parts shouldn't be numbered, just the Savage S in a box. Not sure about the bolt.

The correct sling is tough to find but any Enfield sling will work.

Last edited:
Bolts are often not matched. No biggie because Enfield bolts can be headspaced easily with different size bolt heads so there was no need to match during arsenal refurbishing. All parts should have the Savage S mark though.
Bayonets, mags and slings are out there and if you keep looking long enough you can complete a rifle with all Savage parts.

IMO no WW2 collection is complete w/out one, especially if you live in Mass.[wink]

KTP probably has the mag in a drawer. They pull the mags out of any of the guns out on the floor and keep them behind the counter so they dont grow legs.

A few factors on the Savage... who was the importer? I know you said bolt was MM but how many if any parts matched? Did it come with a sling? If so what color were the keepers? The magazine will run about $40 to $50.

Price seems fair compared to the $250 I paid years ago for a near mint all matching model. Park'd finish is original, after all, they're US guns.[wink]

My Savage is in unrestored condition and it's black, not Parkerized. It was my second C&R purchase back in '06. I think I paid about $150 for it in "very good" condition. One of four Enfields in my collection.

I saw that gun yesterday and that is not the original finish. The parkerizing on some of the parts do not match the gun itself. The bolt is parkerized a very light color, it is not in the white. In terms of function, a mismatched bolt does not matter (as properly pointed out above) but to a collector of Enfields a mismatched bolt makes a difference in value. On a No. 4 rifle, it is the only other numbered part besides the receiver and the barrel (and sometimes the stock on early guns.)

As is typical with most of the guns at KTP, you can always do better in price someplace else (In Maine anyway). At today's deflated prices, that price should buy you a bolt mis-matched rifle in original condition. I would stay away from it. To an Enfield collector that gun is one step above a sporterized rifle. The finish on a lot of the parts do not match each other in color either, which leads me to believe the parts are not original to the gun. It may be an de-bubbahed rifle.

Some other observations about KTP. I do not often go there as it is 4 hours from my home and I only stop there when I am coming back into Maine from out of state (about 2 times a year). But some things are always the same. For one, I never get to take a close look at any of the guns behind the counter or in the cases is there are always a long wait to get a salesperson behind the counter to help you. Based on their prices, I always convince myself it is not worth the wait.

I also noticed the very large number of AR type rifles they have for sale. This make me wonder if there is a Post Obama Election Panic (POEP) gult of AR's on the market right now and that is one reason Bushmaster is closing its Maine factory.

KTP has a great selection of guns, but the wait and the prices always means I leave empty handed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom