Visit the USS CONSTITUTION, give up your rights

Regardless of what you may think, the USS Constitution is an active warship of the United States Navy and you can't bring a privately owned weapon on board. That's been a standing policy for decades, just like you cannot bring privately on firearms on a US military base. (if you are stationed on one on active duty, you can keep them on base either in your quarters if you are married or in the arms room if you are single).

This isn't some kind of new anti-2A policy, it's how the military has operated for a long time.

OK I'm now confused. Yes I agree the Constitution is an "active" duty vessel. However the article refers to the pier as part of a Boston National Historic Park and being that the National Park Police notified if weapons are found, why doesn't the recent carry law apply the same as in every other National Park?

Because the ship is not a park. It is an active warship that is docked at a national park.

I've always been curious as to "why" this is so. Is it to simplify the expenses involved with keeping it in such nice shape? Or is it for bragging rights? Or is it one of those deals where the topic was brought up in some meeting 100 years ago and it kept getting chaired for the next meeting and then it just because status quo?

Please reread my question, I'm specifically asking about the pier.

A warship takes the pier it is docked to into it's force protection plan, I am sure there is also a stand off area on the water side as well.

Last edited:
I've always been curious as to "why" this is so. Is it to simplify the expenses involved with keeping it in such nice shape? Or is it for bragging rights? Or is it one of those deals where the topic was brought up in some meeting 100 years ago and it kept getting chaired for the next meeting and then it just because status quo?

It is a prestige thing, preserving the Naval history so on and so forth. It is actually pretty tough to get selected for duty there, I tried when I was looking at reenlisting, but I was too much of a fat drunken slob. It goes out every now and then and does photo ops and crap. The Navy will never get rid of it. As long as it is still floating it will be a commissioned ship with a Navy crew.

Last time I went they let me hang on to my knife. The guard held the blade up to his pinky...luckily it was a small blade!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

For a couple of centuries, the current national park was the Charlestown Navy Yard. This was the traditional home port of the USS Constitituion. Over the years there have been attempts to berth her in other locations, as well as destroy her. The story of the preservation of "Old Ironsides" is in and of itself a fascinating history. http://www.history.navy.mil/ussconstitution

The Constitution made the US first overseas military operation when she was deployed to Tripoli to fight the Islamic Barbary Pirates who were attacking US Ships and imprisoning US crews (the current conflgration with the Islamic world is actually our fourth encounter, North Africa, The Phillipines, Afghanistan and Iraq).

Like the USS Arizona the USS Constitution is a symbol, an icon that represents American seapower and the traditions of the US Navy. When they closed Charlestown Navy Yard we could have lost her then to NYC or maybe VA. It is an honor to be selected as a crew member, much like being selected to be a tomb guard at Arlington.

OK then why involve the National Park Police?

I have not been there in a while, but last time I was, I don't recall a military access point manned by Master at Arm's, so I am sure they are filling the role the MA's fill on actual military bases (any kind of detaining, arresting, crowd/riot control).

Last edited:
The ship itself is owned by the Navy and is an Active commissioned vessel. Thats why you must check your weapons in. All the surrounding grounds and buildings is owned by the National Park Service.

OK then why involve the National Park Police?

Because of the agreement that was worked out with the Dept of the Navy and the National Park Service. If you went to many DOD installations today, you would find DOD police and not MP's and SP's doing the guard function. Without going into a lot of detail, it is all part of Force Protection Plan for Boston Harbor which also includes the Coast Guard and the MSP Marine Unit. It is one of those multi-jurisdictional efforts.

It is also a Federal Facility and as such has similar rules to entering the Pentagon or military bases. In this case, I verified that my money clip knife was less than 2" long, it received scrutiny, but was allowed through. Constitution Security Rules are here. You must check out the rules for each federal facility before you show up - they differ by facility.

It travels 1 nautical mile every year to maintain its status as a commissioned warship.

It is a prestige thing, preserving the Naval history so on and so forth. It is actually pretty tough to get selected for duty there, I tried when I was looking at reenlisting, but I was too much of a fat drunken slob. It goes out every now and then and does photo ops and crap. The Navy will never get rid of it. As long as it is still floating it will be a commissioned ship with a Navy crew.

Like the USS Arizona the USS Constitution is a symbol, an icon that represents American seapower and the traditions of the US Navy. When they closed Charlestown Navy Yard we could have lost her then to NYC or maybe VA. It is an honor to be selected as a crew member, much like being selected to be a tomb guard at Arlington.

My husband was offered a stationing onboard Old Ironsides among a few other things when it was time to re-enlist, but he turned it down and he decided not to re-enlist.

Also, when it was time to tour the ship a few years ago, I had forgotten that I had mace in my pocketbook and they took it, but held it for me until we were done touring.

Last edited:
It is an active Naval ship, what did you expect?

This. It is still a commisioned ship in the navy. Its mission is training and education. You will be treated the same if you visit any naval ship in port.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

It is a commissioned ship of the US Navy so you'll have to abide by Navy rules.

A friend of mine had his knife taken away from him a few weeks ago.

Last time I went I had my assisted folder and explained to security that we took the train into Boston and I forgot to leave it behind, he told me to keep it in my pocket( they held it while I went through the metal detectors). As for carrying I always check online if i'm not sure.

It is a commissioned ship of the US Navy so you'll have to abide by Navy rules.

A friend of mine had his knife taken away from him a few weeks ago.

Did he get it back?

The ship itself is owned by the Navy and is an Active commissioned vessel. That's why you must check your weapons in. All the surrounding grounds and buildings is owned by the National Park Service.

Actually you can check them in.

Last time I went I had my assisted folder and explained to security that we took the train into Boston and I forgot to leave it behind, he told me to keep it in my pocket( they held it while I went through the metal detectors). As for carrying I always check online if i'm not sure.

So, it DOES have a facility for checking them in? Then what is the problem? That, or hide your knife in the bushes around the corner before you get there.

It travels 1 nautical mile every year to maintain its status as a commissioned warship.

It also does special events. Just recently, someone here on NES said they did a party type thing to celebrate a relative's promotion.

just like you cannot bring privately on firearms on a US military base.

Not totally true in all cases. I expect the sentry at Quantico figured I had guns in the car when I told him I was on my way to the on-base match.

So, it DOES have a facility for checking them in? Then what is the problem? That, or hide your knife in the bushes around the corner before you get there.

No, he describes being allowed to carry the knife after the magnetometer declared him gun free - big difference.

Back
Top Bottom