Vietnam was a long time ago......

Traumatic events in our lives stay in our memories for a long time. Sometimes they fade over the years, but unfortunately they never completely disappear. [sad]

Kim, are you Still In Saigon?
animatedsalute.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Gents,

I'm not sure what to make of this, as I just came home from Iraq a year ago. My friend's father is a Viet Nam-era Marine, and he was and continues to be a great inspiration in my life. In fact, he is one of the reasons I decided to become a Soldier and serve my country. I've asked him time and time again if my memories will fade and if I'll normalize, and despite the words which come out of his mouth telling me, "Yes, yes you'll be alright, son", the look in his eyes tells me otherwise. Thanks, gents, for paving the way for my generation to follow in your footsteps. It's too bad politicians insist there be a continual path for men of our ilk to walk upon.

- Phil -

Reading these posts, listening to my friends, co-workers and acquaintences talk about the experiences they encountered while in the military it really drives home the fact that the word "served" is an inadequate and an inaccurate description of thier service while deployed or in active military service.

To a non-military person, objectively watching and listening to these accounts, it seems that the long term memories and physical effects of thier presence in the situations our military encounters leaves them "serving" our country long after they return home, leave active status and in fact for the rest of thier lives.

It seems inadequate to say, but thank you to all of our veterans. Your service has contributed to keeping my family safe and making this the best country on the globe. Atleast know you and your continued service is appreciated, especially by me and the people I know, who like me never served in the military. God Bless you all!!

I'm sorry, I didn’t mean to imply that I was ever in the service. 1967 was a bad year for me but at least I made it home.

It's not service, it's sacrifice.

Everyone who donned a US military uniform sacrificed something valuable to them or their loves ones. From missing half of their childrens' lives, to missing limbs, to traumatic memories, to losing their own lives.

Whatever was involved in the sacrifice is irreplaceable.

Everyone who donned a US military uniform sacrificed something valuable to them or their loves ones. From missing half of their childrens' lives, to missing limbs, to traumatic memories, to losing their own lives.

+1

I have nothing but respect for the Veterans who came before me; but, you Vietnam guys are just something else. I refuse to believe that anything we got in OIF was a tenth as bad as the hell you went through. The way this country acted after the crap that happened over there is inexcusable.

I still have dreams about Iraq though; but, almost always about belligerent jack-assery with my squad. It's what I choose to focus on.

Sky,
We remember and re-live those events that shear the fabric of our innocent lives. For some, the life that follows helps mend that fabric in a way that keeps it together. For others, the damage is too great. The tear remains a gaping hole and their life remains a tattered fragment of what it was.

Sky, I wish you peace in your mind, in your heart... and in your soul. You do not walk alone.

I have nothing but respect for the Veterans who came before me; but, you Vietnam guys are just something else. I refuse to believe that anything we got in OIF was a tenth as bad as the hell you went through. The way this country acted after the crap that happened over there is inexcusable.
I still have dreams about Iraq though; but, almost always about belligerent jack-assery with my squad. It's what I choose to focus on.

i'll never forget the group of Vietnam vets who greeted us ON THE PLANE at T.F. Green when we came home..... before the politicians got on board and before the news leaches got on board, there were viet-vets giving us the welcome home they never got....

a few nights a week i have dreams about being sent on a new deployment with my old unit..... 12 years since i ETSd and i dream about waiting in lines for CIF... waiting for busses to get on planes.... trying to find what tent i can drop all my shit in..... and of course all the belligerent jack-assery along the way :)

a few things we have over the 'nam guys is that firstly, we were ALL volunteers.... we've had their stories and the way they were treated as warnings to us.... and rather than take you straight from the jungle and drop you back on main st.... they bore the f*** out of you with re-deployment briefings and stapled paper handouts with phone numbers to call in case you feel nutty......

one more way those old timers helped us young guys... the came back all f***** up with no help and no support system and we come back with all that in place....

I wish I knew what my dad went through. He never told me.

My grandfather never told me about his adventures in WWII either... As a little kid I would inquire, but he always changed the subject. I know he fought in France. I have a few items be brought back, the most notable a dress dagger he retrieved off of a German Luftwaffe office who no longer needed it.

- - - Updated - - -

Jose, I wanted to give you a rep for this post, but it wouldn't let me. Apparently I need to spread the reps around first...

It's strange I suppose, I had a relatively uneventful deployment to Afghanistan with a few pucker moments, certainly nothing that left me with any scarring (in fact I really wouldn't mind going back and plan to stay in the military) but I still have pretty constant thoughts and dreams about the whole thing. I think any significant moment in your life you will be sure to harp on. It's also crazy I've been home for almost a year. It feels like I could go right back, and in a way I sort of miss it.

I too have to hand it to the Vietnam vets, you've really made up for your fellow countrymen's treason against you in your treatment of us, it doesn't go unnoticed.

Mike

I think any significant moment in your life you will be sure to harp on. It's also crazy I've been home for almost a year. It feels like I could go right back, and in a way I sort of miss it.

Yeh.... I think it's because I miss the guys.... The camaraderie..... (And my M60) that my mind lingers on that stuff..... I thought about re-enlisting..... Fiancee at the time said she'd cut my foot off one night while I slept if I did..... (didn't marry that nutjob thank the gods....) Current wife has similar feelings though....

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Forum Runner

It feels like I could go right back, and in a way I sort of miss it.

Mike
I've thought about this and talked with other vets a lot - I think some of it stems from the lack of over-stimulation you get here at home. Wife, kids, jobs, bills, neighbors, extended family, etc, etc. Over there you had one thing to worry about - keeping yourself and your buddy alive and making it through.

It's weird, because while you feel like you miss it, on the other hand I wouldn't say it was easier. It was just focused to a point that most of our lives aren't over here. And I think human inclination is actually to crave that focus - you either hunt or you gather, do one thing and do it well. But most of us don't live anything even close to that here in America.

You younger guys need to know that we as Nam vets didn't know any better. We didn't expects parades and all that, so when it didn't happen it wasn't a big deal. When the girls spit at us at the airport in California and called us baby killers, I just thought that they were really messed up and uninformed. There weren't any babies on the DMZ in Northern I CORPS. Of course that was only my little world over ,but it was all I knew and there were no babies, so I thought that were just a little nuts. One thing is for sure. Nam vets are not all draftees as one guy eluded to hear. I volunteered, both times. It was my choice, for reasons of my own, I neither regret the choices or consider them a big deal. During the first tour it was just my turn as it was for my dad in WW11. Interesting to note, when I got to Nam and ended up on hill 881 north one of the first guys that I ran into was a guy from my hometown that I had known since we were kids. He joined the Corps. because the judge gave him a choice between the Corps. or jail. He was a bit of a punk as a kid.He wound up his time in the Corps. a Seargeant who refused a battlefied commision . Funny that we never stayed in touch after Nam, but from time to time ran into each other around town and renewed our committment to each other that when in need we were only a phone call away. Bobby died recently from agent orange cancer. I am working with his widow to get him the 100 dissabillity that the VA should have given him way back when they first told him that his cancer was due to his exposure to agent orange because the benefit will extend to his wife who stands on her feet 8 hours a day with two bad hips at the grocery store to pay the bills. I wish that he had called me. I owe him at least this much. Rest in peace Bob. I've got your back after all these years. Semper Fi brother.

I've thought about this and talked with other vets a lot - I think some of it stems from the lack of over-stimulation you get here at home. Wife, kids, jobs, bills, neighbors, extended family, etc, etc. Over there you had one thing to worry about - keeping yourself and your buddy alive and making it through.

It's weird, because while you feel like you miss it, on the other hand I wouldn't say it was easier. It was just focused to a point that most of our lives aren't over here. And I think human inclination is actually to crave that focus - you either hunt or you gather, do one thing and do it well. But most of us don't live anything even close to that here in America.

For me I kind of miss the sense of purpose, the excitement, and feeling like I'm a part of history. My civilian job is pretty mundain.

Last edited:
My grandfather had some crazy stories for me... But they we're always bout his older brother. Wouldn't talk about his time in. When I was in Afghanistan I used to laugh at some of the things people complained about. Couldn't imagine living through those days. Upmost respect to the vets that came before me.

Been home a year and still can't sleep, not traumatic related.... at least I think. ... Just hard to wear my body down like you do out there... End up just staring at the ceiling.

I sleep like a baby. I have a new found infatuation with helicopters though so I'm chasing recruiters and osos around again.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

For me I kind of miss the sense of purpose, the excitement, and feeling like I'm a part of history. My civilian job is pretty mundain.

Not to say that I'm a vet, but I feel the same way after working for a decade on advanced weapons for the Navy and then relocating here and moving into the private sector.

Hope you don't mind my replying...your statement describes exactly how I've felt ever since I relocated from China Lake, CA.

I joined the Navy in 74, too late to be in Viet Nam, but I did it for a friend (my assistant scout master) who joined the USMC and was KIA two days before his 19th birthday in Nam during the Tet Offensive.

I was aircrew in Grumman E2's and stationed aboard the USS Nimtz and USS Forrestal. What brought it all home for me was SERE School...when I was brought face to face with a taste of POW camp it made me appreciate what some guys (and gals) went through for years. I still occasionally have dreams about SERE school, and none of them good.

After I got out in 81, I was on our local police force for a year when the Chief, who had been in the Air Force, stationed in Khe Sanh, ended up dying from lymphoma, eventually attributed to Agent Orange. I resigned from the PD soon after that...decided police work just wasn't for me.

Last edited:
One thing is for sure. Nam vets are not all draftees as one guy eluded to hear. Rest in peace Bob. I've got your back after all these years. Semper Fi brother.

I didn't mean to imply that Nam vets were all draftees..... Actually my mom has a friend, his brother volunteered for something like 3 or 4 tours so his younger brother wouldn't have to go..... I was just saying that we younger guys are ALL volunteers..... And I respect all you guys, drafted or no....

My dad got the "go to war or go to jail" offer also..... He chose to go to jail though.....

I didn't mean to imply that Nam vets were all draftees..... Actually my mom has a friend, his brother volunteered for something like 3 or 4 tours so his younger brother wouldn't have to go..... I was just saying that we younger guys are ALL volunteers..... And I respect all you guys, drafted or no....

My dad got the "go to war or go to jail" offer also..... He chose to go to jail though.....

No offense taken son. Just didn't want people to think that all Nam vets were drafted.
Regarding your dad, he probably and without knowing made the single most sound long term decision of his life. He avoided being spayed and betrayed and that can't be a bad thing.
Two brother story in my family too. distant Cousins. Older one went to Nam the second time so that his younger brother wouldn't have to go. Older brother has very serious boogie men even today. The younger brother went on to become a one star general in the Corps. Go figure.

Regarding your dad, he probably and without knowing made the single most sound long term decision of his life. He avoided being spayed and betrayed and that can't be a bad thing.

He had a few friends who came back messed up, or not at all.... So, I look at it as if he did go, I probably wouldn't be here....

+ 1,000,000

When I go to VFW meetings and the Korea and Vietnam gus are there, I feel like an unworthy little bitch.

Back
Top Bottom