• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Vietnam 50th Ceremony

CCSU was sponsoring a 50th anniversary Vietnam War event http://www.ccsu.edu/vietnam/ in CT this weekend.

As a proud Marine (Fox co 2nd Bn 5th Marines, 1998-2003) and son of a Vietnam Veteran, events like this are important to me. No war is easy, but those guys coming back home from Vietnam got a raw deal. Today, returning service members receive what those in Vietnam never did. When I was a kid my father brought us to Westover to greet the troops coming back from Desert Storm; I remember him talking to a young Marine 1st Lieutenant who was overwhelmed by the amount of support he was returning to. I overheard my father talking to the Marine describing the despicable behavior of the public when his generation returned from Vietnam. I believe he brought us there as a direct result of the impact our nations ignorance had on him when he returned home in 1971.

When I returned from my second overseas deployment (January 2002) we literally received a standing ovation from the civilians in the terminal at Fairbanks International (BLT 2/5 was transitioning back from the 31st MEU). It felt weird to me at first because they never seemed to care as much or even at all prior to 9/11; but then I thought back to that conversation I overheard & what those guys went through...I realized that I was lucky to be returning home to that & not what the previous generation endured. It is hard enough transitioning back into civilian life when you have the public's "support"; I can't imagine what the Vietnam Vets went through.

The event was well attended by Veterans and their families, many of which were Vietnam-era. They had some nice aircraft on display & you could ride in a huey. The opening ceremony featured an opera rendition of the Star Spangled Banner; it was horrendous. Right away the singer fuc*ed up followed by fu(k up after fu(k up. It was literally as bad as the scene from Naked Gun. Luckily the crowd maintained their military bearing & didn't start heckling. Myself...I broke the POA, I was completely offended and disgusted. Upon completion of the National Anthem I had to remove myself from the area; I found two CT Staties and did a quick CISD.

I understand that people get stage fright and the Star Spangled Banner is a difficult song to sing, however this was one instance where I believe it is inexcusable. It was so bad I would have a tough time believing anyone who says that it was rehearsed beforehand.

I think I can say with extreme confidence most if not all of those creatins who crapped all over the Vietnam vets back then are todays democratic leadership. Democrats and mosquitos, why did God make them ?

It was a nice couple of days... Talked with a lot of Vietnam vets that are still hurting from the treatment they received when they got home...

We did take the ride in the Huey- it was an experience I won't soon forget!

It was definite better attended today- the news stations did some promos which helped. That being said, the organizers could have done a much better job promoting this event.

It hurts my heart to hear that some of the Vietnam Vets are still struggling with the return welcome, or lack of it that they received. I think that most were able to shrug it off and move on.

It hurts my heart to hear that some of the Vietnam Vets are still struggling with the return welcome, or lack of it that they received. I think that most were able to shrug it off and move on.

Most did shrug it off and move on to their credit. The latter 60's and early 70's were some very ugly times for those in the military. High and tight haircuts made you stand out like a sore thumb while the style then was anything but. Uniform wear off post was allowed only when going from post to home of record. No other stops were authorized while in uniform. And this was in the South. I can't imagine the havoc that would have occurred in the North.

I'm thrilled that today's military folks are being treated kindly and I think much of that has to do with Vietnam Vets making it happen. As for the Vietnam era welcome home stuff, for me it's too little too late.

I shrugged it off, and moved on quite successfully......but deep down it still kind of pisses me off......[thinking]

I shrugged it off, and moved on quite successfully......but deep down it still kind of pisses me off......[thinking]

Kim,

I don't think you shrugged it off one iota. Being a Vietnam Vet is what defines you especially on this forum. Too many threads center on that. Your body might be in Mass but your soul is still over there and you are only kidding yourself if you believe otherwise. Vietnam has defined your life.

Now you will probably tell me that I don't know you and to go F myself but I'll stand by the above paragraph. You really believed in trying to help those people over there of that I am convinced and your heart is as big as the Mekong Delta. God Bless You on this 50th Anniversary.

Back
Top Bottom