• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Video on making 22LR

Thanks, I thoroughly enjoyed that video. All these years and I never knew how rimfire was made.

I am surprised how 'manual' the priming operation is. I would have expected automated-handling of such a volatile compound.

I am surprised how 'manual' the priming operation is. I would have expected automated-handling of such a volatile compound.

I think that's why . If you had a machine doing a lot of it the stuff could get gunked up in them. Never new water makes it safer.
I would never think water would be used like that with ammo.

Pretty cool.

4 million a day; that's 80 million per month for a 5-day work week (probably it never shuts down, though). Call it just under 1 BILLION rds per year.
Where the hell is it all going?

I do know one thing - I am not 'hoarding' just trying to replace what I gave the Boy Scouts last year. Shooting season is coming and I need more.

I have ammo qty's in various catagories:

Level A - Do not use unless SHTF
Level B - Practice but don't plink
Level C - Have at it - make it sound like the 4th of July [smile]

I'm currently at Level B for my 22 stash - everything else is fine. For me, .22LR Level A is 2000 rounds, 75% hollow point.

Pretty cool.

4 million a day; that's 80 million per month for a 5-day work week (probably it never shuts down, though). Call it just under 1 BILLION rds per year.

how many millions of Americans shoot 22 rifles and handguns? At 1 million shooters that's only 2 bricks per person per year. I bet there are more 22 shooters than that, the guns are cheap and common.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Pretty cool.

Exactly what I was wondering. That's a crapload of rimfire ammo getting turned out, and yet there are shortages at retail. Amazing.

Pretty sure CCI is running three shifts, so triple your estimated production unless their total is for a 24hr period.

Also, they are only one company producing .22lr, there are many others in country and out.......now the question becomes more viable....Where is it all going?

That's a cool video....accurate automation is wonderful!

And it seems the amount of primer won't be as consistent (accurate) as with a more automated process. Still, I'm an accuracy nut and I hold CCI in high regard.

Lots of explosive compounds are mixed wet with water, including black powder.

BP is mixed wet in a ball mill then pressed into hockey puck type ingots and rubbed on different size mesh screens to get different size granules for various burn rates.

Flash is put into fireworks shells as it's separate components and allowed to mix just in normal handling. This reduces the potential for accidental ignition.

The "stars" you see in the bursts of fireworks shells are also mixed wet with their binder and dried in molds or tumbled in cement mixer type vessels to produce round balls of various sizes.

how many millions of Americans shoot 22 rifles and handguns? At 1 million shooters that's only 2 bricks per person per year. I bet there are more 22 shooters than that, the guns are cheap and common.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

That's just CCI. How much does Remington, Winchester, and Federal put out? I'd say between those 4 companies, they output minimum 5 billion per year.

Now lets include smaller domestic producers like PMC, and imported stuff like Eley, Fiochi, Lapua, RWS, etc..
It's got to be in the neighborhood of 10 billion rds per year.

Back
Top Bottom