Very first AR build almost done, got a ?

I am in the final stages of my first attempt to build an AR. The rifle is all together and ready to fire......but.......I have not yet installed the muzzle devise. I would like to fire the rifle before permenant attachment of devise which is not yet in my possession. I will be installing a Shrewd brake with full ports and have read where this type of brake could affect accuracy. I want to get a baseline before it goes on to see if there is an improvement or loss of accuracy. My question is.....is it "illegal" to test fire my rifle beforehand? I'm gonna try to upload a couple of pics of the completed rifle. Tell what you think of the build. Thanks

Last edited:
An exposed threaded barrel is an 'evil feature'

The rifle looks great. How do you like the Spikes anniversary set? I was thinking of picking one up.

The Spikes set is real nice and the finish was well executed. There is currently an 8 to 12 month back order on these. Was a little bit of a hassle to get this one. All in all I am very satisfied with it and hope that it shoots well. If I had to do it all again.......and I am.......I would have opted for a Mega billet set.

Good to know. I was looking at the Arfcom billet sets and the Spikes anniversary forged set.
They are roughly the same price.

Your barrel doesn't look threaded? Am I wrong but doesn't the barrel need to be threaded to need a permanent muzzle device? That's a nice looking rig as it sits. I hope your not putting some sort of slip on brake....

The threaded barrel is in the first pic. The second pic is the mock up. It has a different barrel on it from another rifle. I wanted to see what it was gonna look like so I threw that barrel on there and snapped a pic. Nothing was even torqued down or tight. No slip on brakes for this rifle. I'm going to put a shrewd full port, barrel diameter brake. Not traditional, but that way I can still change things around without going back to a shop to remove and reattach the brake. I'm trying the piston route for this rifle and if it doesn't work out for whatever reason I can go to DI without to much fuss.

Though while you still would technically be breaking the law, how would anyone know how your muzzle brake is attatched? Just something to think about.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Well, I got the rifle out today and it shot pretty good. The eotech will definitely take some getting used to but all in all it did good. The rifle ran flawlessly. I had no jams or stoppages of any kind until I tried to adjust the gas setting. It ran clean but was throwing cases forward at about 1oclock. I am running a spikes heavy buffer but its still throwing them forward. I tried to adjust the gas down one notch but it would short stroke at that setting. I took a pic of the target and will try to upload it here. I sighted it in at 50 yard which should put me back on at 200. I was using cheap steel cased ammo but got decent groups. Should shoot well with good ammo. Now I got my base line. I'm happy with the build.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 52
Nevermind. Looks good.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

Last edited:
I think that rifle looks awesome. I love that Evil black rifles come in all colors now!

Well, I got the rifle out today and it shot pretty good. The eotech will definitely take some getting used to but all in all it did good. The rifle ran flawlessly. I had no jams or stoppages of any kind until I tried to adjust the gas setting. It ran clean but was throwing cases forward at about 1oclock. I am running a spikes heavy buffer but its still throwing them forward. I tried to adjust the gas down one notch but it would short stroke at that setting. I took a pic of the target and will try to upload it here. I sighted it in at 50 yard which should put me back on at 200. I was using cheap steel cased ammo but got decent groups. Should shoot well with good ammo. Now I got my base line. I'm happy with the build.

With the eotech, remember you are supposed to keep both eyes open, look through the reticle and focus on your target.

Back
Top Bottom