Very Early N.E.W. Mosin Nagant - Fox Arms, to Boot

After watching this Model 1891 sit on Gunbroker for days, I decided to throw a bid at it - which turned into a bidding war. But the final tally with shipping and transfer was about $460, and I might have paid even more. Not very often are Fox Arms receivers seen, a few dozen sightings at the most, and this one is on a very early production New England Westinghouse Mosin Nagant, serial number under 2500.

earlyNEW_001.jpg

earlyNEW_002.jpg

earlyNEW_005.jpg

earlyNEW_006.jpg

It's sort of interesting to see a the post-script "A" with the serial number. Not sure if I've seen that on a Finned rifle before. Hmm.... the gun has "been around, and around", for sure.

Just some other points to ponder. Grasping grooves are centered on the crossbolt, but I'll be danged if I can tell if it is an American walnut stock, or a one-piece Finn stock, with Sestroryetsk buttplate and Izhevsk nose cap. It has a rather large toe splice, either a "C" or a G" stamped on the left side, and a former unit disc on the right. Bolt (Finn matched) and rear sight are mixes of many arsenals.

So, here are a few more pics, with a shot of the rear tang for Homer. Very happy to have this very early NEW in the vault.

earlyNEW_003.jpg

earlyNEW_008.jpg

earlyNEW_004.jpg

earlyNEW_009.jpg

earlyNEW_010.jpg

earlyNEW_011.jpg

earlyNEW_012.jpg

earlyNEW_013.jpg

earlyNEW_014.jpg

Just another look at the Fox Arms logo. Waited very long for one! And a scorched divot on the bottom rear of the wrist, with a little charcoal wood smell to give it some more character.

Thanks for looking.

earlyNEW_006.jpg

earlyNEW_015.jpg

earlyNEW_002.jpg

earlyNEW_001.jpg

Spectacular. And the Fox Arms stamp is so clear.

Where was Fox Arms located when they were sub-contracted to make these receivers?

Wow , they only western house I've seen on person was at collectors and it was beat to shit compared to yours and it was only 100$ less.

Good buy.

I'd love to get a Remington mosin or any American made mosin.

OK buddy, I give up.[wink]

I have an offer, lets combine our collections and see 1. if we can find a room big enough to hold them all, 2. take a week to go over each rifle and catalog their unique features.3. have a beer and a good cigar and sit back and just gaze upon the beauty of it all[cheers]

Great pick up buddy. I watched that item and was amazed that it went unnoticed for a period of time.

I have an offer, lets combine our collections and see 1. if we can find a room big enough to hold them all, 2. take a week to go over each rifle and catalog their unique features.3. have a beer and a good cigar and sit back and just gaze upon the beauty of it all[cheers]

Great pick up buddy. I watched that item and was amazed that it went unnoticed for a period of time.

We'll have to flip a coin to see who will be renting the U-Haul.

And aside from the Fox-marked receiver, I've discovered from posting it on other forums, that the A-suffix serial number is another very uncommon feature. Only two others documented at this time. For those who track and study various New England Westinghouse barrel stamping differences and serial number sequencing, these A-suffix serial guns are adding another category of study.

Can I sit in the corner and watch? I promise not to be a bother and I'll bring my own drool towel. [bow]

Wow, another great find.

Can I join, please? I know next to nothing about Nagants and would love to learn a bit.
I'd pay back in "Mauseritis" and bring the stogies. j/k, the next trip won't be in the making anytime soon[sad2]

Back
Top Bottom