Verify Distinguised Shooter

To the OP:

Why does it matter?

I'm not an elite shooter, as those that have seen me on the Trap range can attest.....but if you hold yourself out as an [insert qualification here] and can't prove it....

Fishermen lie about the one that got away...golfers about the 35 foot putt in the hurricane; why should a shooter be different?

My kid's entitiled to a crapload of Trap patches, Qualification patches, etc.....but he won't wear anything that he's not earned. Of course, those that have seen him shoot can attest to that.

If someone can hold nickel-sized groups, they should be happy to do it on request.... If they can't....what are you going to do about it?

It does matter IMO. There are too many phonies out there with fake degrees, fake resumes, fake service records and awards (remember the Stolen Valor Act and what a big deal that was when it was declared claiming it couldn't be enforced). I respect people like Greg Duerr and Derek, for instance who have the Distinguished Award.

You are right, I suppose, why should a shooter be different? Well, I'd like to think of shooters as being men and women of some honor and integrity, but after all why should they be different from the rest of humanity...right?

The only thing is we aren't talking about embellished campfire tales "about the one that got away" or the "hole in one that nobody saw" we are talking about one of the most respected awards within the shooting world, but then again maybe I'm old fashioned and it doesn't really matter.

What can I do about it if the claim is bogus? Avoid dealing with that person, because claiming such a prestigious award when one is not entitled to it is a very dishonorable thing IMO, and I couldn't trust that person from then on.

After all, there are at least 10,000 former members of Seal Team Six and at least half of them got Bin Laden ...just walk into any bar...pretty disgusting, I think.

My asking of "Why does it matter" was not intended to imply that it did not matter - it does.

Any person taking credit for, or claiming an award for an achievement that they have not earned is by definition without honor. And yes, one would like to believe that "gun people" are a cut above the general population.

But we've all heard the BS....that's one reason that the [rolleyes] exists.

I'm not that type [rifle] or caliber [pun intended] of shooter - so my real question was "What is the practical, real-world sanction or penalty that could be levied or applied for this sort of false claim?"

Punches to the throat excluded.

If the person shoots in registered competition, can they be banned?

"Trust, but verify" is not just for US/Soviet relations any more....

Back
Top Bottom