• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

In case any of you 22 shooters are interested.

Took me a long time now it looks like it will be expensive. I wish more guys in my club would be interested. How about yours slap shot?

Took me a long time now it looks like it will be expensive. I wish more guys in my club would be interested. How about yours slap shot?

1 of my clubs is total fudd, would never go for it. I don't really spend enough time at the other to start making requests for new equipment.

Lately I'm having trouble finding good scrap steel.
I'm wondering how conduit would hold up for 22lr and the weight of the targets flopping around.
I love making things myself but sometimes it's not a huge savings. If you need to buy some stuff and you don't have a "in" with someone to get a good deal there's little savings.
I have some stuff stashed for this style target and a few others.

Slap shot,

If you decide to make one make 2 of everything and I will compensate you for it. What are buddies for.

Do you think that 1/8" hot rolled steel would be thick enough to stop 22 LR bullets and still spin around the shaft when hit? Or do you think that thicker steel ( 3/16" or 1/4" ) would be better and still spin?

Years ago a buddy of mine tested a SKS shooting 7.62x39 APs at a steel plate and FMJ military 5.56 ammo that was not AP. The 7.62x39 APs went through it like butter, but the FMJ 5.56 only dented it and did not penetrate the steel. I can not remember how thick it was.

I just looked closely at the video. It looks to me like they are different thicknesses. The first 2 largest ones look like they are 1/2" thick then they look like the next 5 look like they are 1" thick. What do you think???

Last edited:
1/4" should do it. 1/4" braced would be even better.
I have some round stock I've cut sections off of (1/2/ to 3/4" thick) that covers most of what those sizes look like, but had to use 1/4" to make up for what I don't have.

I can't see standard or even "high velocity" (plated) 22lr doing too much damage to it.

I'm making some up now, after watching that video (and a few others) and would like to test it out before the snow flies.

https://shootingtargets7.com/steel-targets/gongs.html

They have gongs as small as 1” for <$2. Not sure how to cut AR400, but you could maybe modify a few for the really small targets?

Maybe flatten the end of a piece of rebar and bolt it on? It would probably be too heavy to spin, but would obviously swing if hit

Now I’ll be designing it in my head for the next two weeks...

I have some 2" round bar that's not being used for anything if anyone looking to make something like this wants it. Might be willing to let go of some of the smaller round bar I have too. Some from scrap-yard finds. Some I don't remember where (or when) I got it. It will be up to you to cut the piece into the thicknesses you want (IIRC, it's about 4" long). I'm not going to eat up MY chop saw blades cutting this for someone else. Especially not for free. [smile]

I might have some other bits that could be used in the target build... I tend to keep cut-off pieces if they're at all usable. You never know when you'll need that three inch piece of 1" square tubing in a project. [rofl2]

Back
Top Bottom