• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Varget?

It's a great powder, for the loads that it is listed for.

1) Pick your caliber
2) Pick the bullet that you want to load in that caliber
3) Refer to current reloading data from a scientifically developed published source.
4) If Varget is listed as a powder to use for that bullet in that caliber, then use it safely, according to the start/max load data.

There isn't just one "feature" that makes one powder better than another. Cleaner burning is just one reason to select one powder or another.

I typically research the cartridge first, before selecting a bullet or powder. Or, if you have a few cartridge sizes that you will be reloading for, research them all.

Then, pick bullets that will do what you want them to do.

Then, you can refer to the reloading data, and see if Varget translates to all of them. If not, then you need to have more than one powder.

So, for the purposes of an exercise, what rifle calibers were you looking to reload for? What purposes will those be used for? Hunting? Plinking? Competition shooting?

That will give you some searching criteria for homework in terms of bullets. Then, once you have that (those) selected, you can start doing the cross referencing on the powders to go with them.

Give us some feedback, and we'll help you walk through it. I'm hoping that it's a good exercise for others to review. I won't give you any load info, but will help point you in the right directions.

I would put availability at the top of the list when choosing powders. Varget seems to be
made of that rare composition, unobtainium.

It's not that hard to find. Riley's had a ton of it not that long ago, in 1 lb and 4lb jugs.

-Mike

RE15 is a good (some say better) substitute if you can't find Varget.

+1

I started my Highpower rifle competition career with Reloder 15 and never needed Varget. Now that I have moved to prone events, Reloder 15 gets my Sierra 155s to 1000 yards easily and accurately.

Awesome powder.

Varget is the gold standard of powder for competitive rifle shooters. Shooters use other powders but the vast majority of people I've shot with use Varget. Very accurate, not temperture sensitive, and shoots pretty clean. It does not meter well through a powder measure but neither does any stick powder. We've used it in .223 with great success shooting from 200 to 1000 yards. Reloader 15 will get you a bit more velocity but I haven't found the need, and have had a container of it for 4 years and never opened it. I will when I get around to it but again, I never found the need. I've tested some Accurate 2460 and it shoots well in my AR out to 600 yards. I've heard that it is temperature sensitive but haven't had any trouble. I did shoot some in my palma rifle at 200 yards and it was very accurate. Meters dead on in my Harrel's powder measure because it is a ball powder. That's why I have been using it in my AR. I can load enough ammo for a match in no time!
Bob

Varget in AR 15?

Gentlemen, I am brand new to this forum but it seems to be the one to answer my question.. I have been reloading for over 25 years but mostly only pistol ammo. I did work up a very accurate load for .223 for graundhog shooting here in Ohio. It worked fine in my mini 14 also. Now I have an Bushmaster AR and the load will not cycle the action which I believe is the reason for the lousy accuracy. I am trying to use the rifle in small carbine matches and it just does not work. I search for a good if not the best powder to cure my woes. I chose Varget. My question is will it work the action of my AR and provide good accuracy?

Duke, Sign up for Midways e-blast specials. They have blemished bullets on sale twice a year.(case color is off) I bought a few hundred 150gr .311 last years for under $13.00 per 100.
Dennis, sounds like you have some weak loads there. I use H335, BLC(2), and IMR4064 if temp could be an issue.

Dennis, sounds like you have some weak loads there. I use H335, BLC(2), and IMR4064 if temp could be an issue.

The Varget load is intended for Action rifle matches and ranges under 200 yds. using 55 gr FMJ bullets. The load I was using is 55gr FMJ and 22.5 gr IMR 4198. I shoots 3/4 inch 5 shot groups at 100yds in of all things a H&R heavy barrel single shot from a bench. Thanks for the help, you too bmp990d

Back
Top Bottom