Vacuum packed reloads?

rep308

NES Member
My wife just got this vacuum pack machine for to store prepared meals and repack the giant food packages we get at Costco's.

I'm looking at this thinking it would be ideal for storing my reload, create separate 50 packs to take to the range and a neat and organized way for the different calibers. Is there any problems with doing this? Will the primers dry out? I store my ammo now in a humidity controlled basement safe, but would like to vacuum pack it rather than store in shoe boxes and the like.

The only reason I can think of is if you need to store them in a really harsh environment for some reason. (Like on a boat or something)

I vacuum sealed some old revolvers. But I passed the NRA instructor course and during the class one of the questions that I got wrong was: " It is safe to store loose rounds in a plastic bag." I put TRUE and was marked wrong. So good luck!

But I passed the NRA instructor course and during the class one of the questions that I got wrong was: " It is safe to store loose rounds in a plastic bag." I put TRUE and was marked wrong. So good luck!

I'll bite - WHY is that a bad thing? I've put cartridges in ziplock bags when I ran out of boxes and survived.

I was thinking of doing this to keep stuff in my bail out bag safe from moisture and such. Basically load up a bunch of mags and vacuum bag them for when the zombies invade :)

The only reason I can think of is if you need to store them in a really harsh environment for some reason. (Like on a boat or something)

I have fired factory rounds that were more than 40 years old without a failure. Also reloads that were 15 or more years old, including some stored on a boat, without a failure. In a relatively cool, dry (i.e., not dripping humidity) site, ammo will store for a very long time without degradation. I don't think Foodsaver-type bagging will add anything noticeable.

It wasn't so much that I was looking to pull a tight vacuum. The machine provides a way to make custom size sealed plastic bags that I thought would be good for storage.

Do it! I have ammo that I ordered from a company who sends their ammo packed in thick plastic bags that are sealed. They are great for keeping ammo stored for long periods of time, and they work well for bug-out-bags and get-home-bags.

As for the NRA question, well anyone who has taken ANY NRA course knows all too well that some of the answers to their questions are complete and total bullshit! Like the one on the RSO test, that basically says that if you cannot get a gun to work, and there is a round stuck in the gun, that you should call a gunsmith to the range to fix it for you....

I'll bite - WHY is that a bad thing? I've put cartridges in ziplock bags when I ran out of boxes and survived.

Haha, So have I, I got it wrong. I have actually bought rounds in plastic. When I asked about this I was told. Rounds should be kept in there originally marked boxes, even though the question stated "loose rounds". I think its more about getting your loads confused and feeding them in the wrong firearm. So mark them well!!

I vacuum sealed some old revolvers. But I passed the NRA instructor course and during the class one of the questions that I got wrong was: " It is safe to store loose rounds in a plastic bag." I put TRUE and was marked wrong. So good luck!

Good thing you got all of the other questions right!

You did superbly in your instructor class.

Haha, So have I, I got it wrong. I have actually bought rounds in plastic. When I asked about this I was told. Rounds should be kept in there originally marked boxes, even though the question stated "loose rounds". I think its more about getting your loads confused and feeding them in the wrong firearm. So mark them well!!
You hit the nail on the head. It for safety reasons you mentioned. Not that the plastic will do harm.

NRA Instructor 15 yrs most disciplines

You hit the nail on the head. It for safety reasons you mentioned. Not that the plastic will do harm.

NRA Instructor 15 yrs most disciplines

No problem a label would not cure - the same way reloaders mark their plastic ammo boxes.

Back
Top Bottom