USPSA VS IDPA ?? who to join?

Hey all, I know we have a bunch of members here from each organization, but can someone tell me the key differences and which i should join as a new shooter? I know dave and a few others have chimmed in before and I m hoping you'll all draw your opinions now!

USPSA VS IDPA ?? who [sic] to join?

You'll have fun either way. [smile]

Proximity may be a factor, but you should be able to find each near you. Bass River and New Bedford have USPSA events.

Do you like high round counts and thinking out your own solution to the scenario? You'll like USPSA.

Do you want a more "tactical" game in which you are scored by how well you shoot according to a prescribed standard in a course requiring concealed carry and "loading with retention?" You'll like IDPA.

My suggestion: Shoot both with your present equipment and see which you like more.

There is no rush to join. Go to some matches and see what you like. It is very common to join both. If you are going to be shooting at New Bedford, that is likely.

Just jump into it. To start don't worry about rules, gear, whatever. Take the gear you have and just go to the range when they have matches, any sort of matches, have fun and everything else will evolve on its own.

Love the sound of this.! I am heading to easton tomorrow hopefully to get some pointers . Anyone who practices in the New Bedford area, let me know. Id love to watch, grab a few pointers, and give it a go.

Like GTO said- no rush- go to a bunch of practice and try them out. That being said- do both... [smile]

There is no rush to join. Go to some matches and see what you like. It is very common to join both. If you are going to be shooting at New Bedford, that is likely.

Just jump into it. To start don't worry about rules, gear, whatever. Take the gear you have and just go to the range when they have matches, any sort of matches, have fun and everything else will evolve on its own.

IDPA Allows you to shoot only one match before becoming a member. USPSA gets their money from non members through mission count fees.

As far as which is the better to join, BOTH are great so try them both out. There is a division for almost any carry type handgun in both sports.

If you want to get your feet wet, try Bass River in Yarmouth this Sunday for three steel challenge stages. Little or no movement, just shoot and hit the steel.

I won't be there but new people are always welcome. Just tell them you are new to this and they will be gentle [shocked]

IDPA Allows you to shoot only one match before becoming a member.

I knew that but to be honest I hope that rule gets bent. One time isn't enough to be sold. You can go to a match at one club, and then go to a match at a different club, and come away with completely different takes on the same game.

FhvnLT4A is in a good spot for a number of matches being relatively close to Bass River and New Bedford.

I knew that but to be honest I hope that rule gets bent. One time isn't enough to be sold. You can go to a match at one club, and then go to a match at a different club, and come away with completely different takes on the same game.

FhvnLT4A is in a good spot for a number of matches being relatively close to Bass River and New Bedford.

Unfortunately, clubs have been turned in for not following this rule. I know of a club out of state that was warned they would loose their affiliation.

Best way around it is pick three clubs and do one match at each. New Bedford IDPA, Bass River IDPA, Harvard IDPA, Riverside IDPA, The Worcester Club, all decent places to try.

For someone starting out, I still recommend Independent. I just wish I was closer.

Yeah that is a great point. I'm not speaking on behalf of my club but it does get bent. Of course it's important to encourage the enrollement in IDPA but I have seen some shooters that join only after shooting several matches. It's really not that expensive. Sanctioned matches are another thing altogether! Shooting at a few clubs is one way to do this.

What's more important- trying to nurture furture IDPA/action shooters or making sure they sign up ASAP? [wink]

I'll repeat the advice to try both. I've become an avid IDPA shooter. I've been meaning to try a USPSA match, but scheduling just hasn't worked yet. I don't get the people who argue between IDPA and USPSA. I think any trigger time is good trigger time.

I'll chime in...

I've been an avid USPSA shooter for the past few years and until very recently never tried IDPA. I will say that IDPA is less intimidating to new shooters than USPSA. A good example is my brother shot a few USPSA matches and was quite intimidated. He came to the last IDPA match at Harvard and said he could get into this because it was less complex. I can see his point in the fact that IDPA typically has less of a round count per stage and most stages are shot the same way between all the shooters. USPSA allows you more flexibility in how you negociate a stage. This is good and bad but can be tough for a new shooter.

I too encourage you to try both as both games will help you become a better shooter.

Pete

Pete, I'll agree on the new shooter friendliness based on another factor: the rules. I read the IDPA rulebook before my first match, and it was pretty simple and easy to understand. The USPSA rulebook on the other hand was huge and hard to follow.

The IDPA rules are handed down from on high, whereas the USPSA rules have been developed by committee over a number of years. There are pluses and minuses to both approaches.

It's like asking someone to choose between chocolate and coffee ice cream before they've tried them! Try both, shoot safe, have fun and then make some decisions later. There is no need trying to make a decision yet.

Now I will add one more thing. I have gear for revolver division, Production division, Limited 10 division in USPSA and ESP, SSP, SSR, and ESR divisions in IDPA.

I also have prepared Intro to IDPA handouts I use in the course I offer and I have access to 2 ranges on Cape Cod.

If you would like to spend some time on the range learning the range basics, I would gladly spend time with you. I am not a master class shooter but I have taught for a long time and can get my point across. I have been involved in IDPA since 1999 and USPSA since 2000. The others that have posted here will be better than I am for you after we have reviewed the basics.

It is real nice to have a general idea of what to expect at your first match. E mail is in my profile and I have enough target stands to set up a stage (Target stands come from GT Targets) (had to get the plug in there for Chris [wink] )

IDPA Allows you to shoot only one match before becoming a member.
Fortunately, none of the clubs I've shot here in Ohio follow this stupid rule. They know that ignoring an edict from The Mount On Berryville to attract new shooters and not turn them off is a good thing. So do their members.

I've shot both and joined IDPA, after weighting all the pluses and minuses.

The IDPA rules are handed down from on high, whereas the USPSA rules have been developed by committee over a number of years. There are pluses and minuses to both approaches.
There is a fundamental difference in the organizational structure. USPSA has "members" who have the right to vote for officers of the organization, run for office, and obtain the organization's financial statements. USPSA takes this very seriously - we use an outside CPA firm to conduct the election even though we could do it much cheaper in-house.

IDPA's "members" would be better termed "customers". IDPA members do not have the right to vote for the officers of the organization or run for office. The only persons permitted to vote in IDPA elections are current members of the IDPA board.

IDPA's "members" would be better termed "customers".---RB
Yep, IDPA is a business, its business is entertainment, and its entertainment is shooting sports.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Do 'em both!

Either/both just get out and shoot! you'll find that the other shooters at the match are great and are all are very willing to help. We were all new at it once. [grin]

Which is why their shooters get Bentover, rather than that foolish membership to shoot rule.---Matt
I’m not sure exactly what you're saying Matt, but for what it’s worth, I’m agreeing with Rob.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Now I will add one more thing. I have gear for revolver division, Production division, Limited 10 division in USPSA and ESP, SSP, SSR, and ESR divisions in IDPA.

I also have prepared Intro to IDPA handouts I use in the course I offer and I have access to 2 ranges on Cape Cod.

If you would like to spend some time on the range learning the range basics, I would gladly spend time with you. I am not a master class shooter but I have taught for a long time and can get my point across. I have been involved in IDPA since 1999 and USPSA since 2000. The others that have posted here will be better than I am for you after we have reviewed the basics.

It is real nice to have a general idea of what to expect at your first match. E mail is in my profile and I have enough target stands to set up a stage (Target stands come from GT Targets) (had to get the plug in there for Chris [wink] )

Well, although I will honor this offer the the OP at a location to be determined, I will no longer be offering any help at the club I usually shoot USPSA and IDPA at. As of this weekend, the only time scenario stages will be allowed is at matches. No more practice.[angry]

To the regulars, see you somewhere besides NE12

I think next Sunday, the 14th, the NB club is having an IDPA Classifier shoot which is much more structured then the shooting in Will Brink's video.

You might want to go and watch anyway, as it will give you an idea of the skills needed in IDPA.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom