USPSA RIFLE @ New Bedford - Sunday 11/24/2013

On Sunday 11/24/13 The Rod & Gun Club of New Bedford (www.rodgun-nb.org) will host our annual USPSA Rifle match with 5 stages of Action Rifle fun.

Divisions:
---------
Open
Tactical (one optic)
Limited (no magnifying optics)
Heavy Metal Tactical (.308+ w/ one optic)
Heavy Metal Limited (.308+ no optics)

Complete rules can be found here: http://uspsa.org/RifleShotgunMultigun Rules 1-1-2013final.pdf.

Registration runs from 8:45am to 9:15am, shooters meeting at 9:25am and first caps at 9:30am. Match fee is $20.

You will need a chamber flag. If you do not have a flag we'll give you a plastic zip-tie you can use instead. Between stages rifles must be unloaded with chamber flag in place, and the rifle must be carried in one of 4 possible ways: muzzle-up, muzzle-down, in a case, or secured to a cart. There will be rifle-racks on every stage.

Expected round count will be between 150 and 200 rounds. Max distance is only 35 yards, but don't assume that means it will be easy.

Again, this will be a USPSA Rifle match, please refer to the rulebook for equipment guidelines: http://uspsa.org/RifleShotgunMultigun Rules 1-1-2013final.pdf.

Directions to the club and range: http://rodgun-nb.org/directions.htm

Last edited:
I want to try I shot idpa many times before at new bedford but I always wanted to try a rifle match

The NB rifle match is always great fun, its nothing like IDPA. see what I did there....

seriously, this is USPSA rules, so don't worry about cover, flat footed reloads, dropping magazines, or any other silly rule

For Limited, yes one non-magnifying optic is allowed, per the rules. I've updated the initial post with this clarification. Thanks for pointing that out.

Can you use a variable in limited as long as it stays on 1X , or does this type of optic move you to tactical?

PS Can't wait to see the rich kids blast away with .308. That stuff is almost as expensive as 22 LR.

Can you use a variable in limited as long as it stays on 1X , or does this type of optic move you to tactical?

PS Can't wait to see the rich kids blast away with .308. That stuff is almost as expensive as 22 LR.

I will let Dave give the final answer but by rule, you can not have a magnifying optic on the rifle in Limited.
Appendix A3 page 64-

My understanding of the rules is if you declare limited and do not meet the provisions, your bump would be to Open Not Tactical

I will let Dave give the final answer but by rule, you can not have a magnifying optic on the rifle in Limited.
Appendix A3 page 64-

My understanding of the rules is if you declare limited and do not meet the provisions, your bump would be to Open Not Tactical

That's the way it works. It's funny to see people listed in Open at the Production Nationals.
Fred, if you want to shoot limited, put an Aimpoint or CMore on the gun. A Leupold Prismatic is legal also.

That's the way it works. It's funny to see people listed in Open at the Production Nationals.
Fred, if you want to shoot limited, put an Aimpoint or CMore on the gun. A Leupold Prismatic is legal also.

Thanks. This question was posed to satisfy my curiosity. Would the USPSA BOD trust me to use a variable optic in Limited class if I kept the magnification at 1X. The answer doesn't surprise me and it represents a reasonable restriction on the use of optics. The penalty for using a variable optic in Limited (bump to Open) strikes me as a little harsh. Why not just put the shooter in his or her proper Division rather than penalize them?

Because the rules are very specific up front. It takes away the incentive to try sneaking anything by. Less bs for the people running the match, they have enough to do. You push the rules at all, we bump you to open.

I like that the USPSA specifically states that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. This question was posed to satisfy my curiosity. Would the USPSA BOD trust me to use a variable optic in Limited class if I kept the magnification at 1X. The answer doesn't surprise me and it represents a reasonable restriction on the use of optics. The penalty for using a variable optic in Limited (bump to Open) strikes me as a little harsh. Why not just put the shooter in his or her proper Division rather than penalize them?

No one would ever increase the magnification when it's advantageous, would they?
At a major 3 gun match, one stage was rifle and shotgun slugs. There were steel gongs, small paper targets for rifle only, large paper targets for slugs only, and clays from 15 to 50 yards. Gongs and clays could be neutralized with rifle or slugs. The briefing stated that having shot, would result in a match DQ for unsportsman like conduct. A shooter using a Saiga had shot in a magazine, and got DQ'd. He claimed ignorance to the shot in a magazine. Now, why would you not make sure that all your ammo conformed to the requirements, unless you planned on cheating?

No one would ever increase the magnification when it's advantageous, would they?
At a major 3 gun match, one stage was rifle and shotgun slugs. There were steel gongs, small paper targets for rifle only, large paper targets for slugs only, and clays from 15 to 50 yards. Gongs and clays could be neutralized with rifle or slugs. The briefing stated that having shot, would result in a match DQ for unsportsman like conduct. A shooter using a Saiga had shot in a magazine, and got DQ'd. He claimed ignorance to the shot in a magazine. Now, why would you not make sure that all your ammo conformed to the requirements, unless you planned on cheating?

Perhaps you misread my post. I agreed that the optics rule in question was reasonable.

The 'harshness' of the penalty provides the incentive to not cheat. If the only risk for getting caught is to be put into the division you should have been in, there's really no risk at all to trying to get away with it.

This is a USPSA rifle match, the rules are outlined in the rulebook, which Gary nicely responded with above (thank you Gary).

went to this last year, but cannot make it this year.
bump for anyone on the fence about doing this...just do it and you'll have a great time.

For sure! I shot my first 3gun a few weeks ago, this will be my first rifle. Come the spring, the first time jitters will already be out of the way.

Might be a super noob question but would 10 rd mags put you at a distinct disadvantage? What's the expected shots per round?

Just think, you will get more practice with reloading than those poor people with those extra killy mags!

10 rounders will hurt you. I bring 2 pre ban 30s. Most people are really friendly and will loan you a mag for the day or after they shoot the stage. I'm bringing 2 people and we're all sharing 2 mags. Stupid MA laws

10 rounders will hurt you. I bring 2 pre ban 30s. Most people are really friendly and will loan you a mag for the day or after they shoot the stage. I'm bringing 2 people and we're all sharing 2 mags. Stupid MA laws

Even us old timers have limit quantities of mags. If I'm not mistaken, Connecticut's laws have recently changed, have you REGISTERED your mags?

Even us old timers have limit quantities of mags. If I'm not mistaken, Connecticut's laws have recently changed, have you REGISTERED your mags?

We got hosed pretty bad in April. Luckily I was decently stocked up before the crazyness and during the panic I became VERY stocked up. I did register a bunch of mags and guns since I live in the miserable state of CT. The notary at the bank was surprised by the long mag list. I guess they were technically declared, but it's registration. Not picking solely on MA, this whole region has ridiculous laws; I miss Ohio. I only have the 2 94 pre ban 30s and 1 20 though.

Now if I could bring my AWMs or Pmags, I could cover a couple of squads.

Last edited:
A great day shooting with great people. Thanks for making this match happen!

The wind was brutal, but at least the sun was out. I am glad I dressed appropriately, even though I felt a bit like Randy from A Christmas Story
Randy-Snow-Suit-A-Christmas-Story-2.jpg

I love it when my guns run 100% and I can only blame myself for my mistakes.

Brave souls, the cold and wind kept me home. Figured I'd break my cherry on a nicer day.

Back
Top Bottom