USPSA at Hopkinton Saturday June 3rd

this. SJan is the stage design mad scientist...

For those that didn't come out here's a look at the afore mentioned awesome stages that you missed out on. I almost fell on my face creeping on Stage 1...and it looks like I shot the whole match with a wedgie [laugh]

[video=youtube_share;Q5LQbz4uYnU]http://youtu.be/Q5LQbz4uYnU[/video]

Not a wedgie but like the shirts, your shorts are shrinking in the dryer............

So I'm classified in open as a B shooter because I'm new to open this season. I'm classified as A in limited hence the B in open. For some reason, I do horrible on classifiers or my gun malfunctions. The classifier last weekend I was going for it and threw 3 mikes [crying]. But yes, I shot a tree down haha

For stage one, I was the 3rd shooter on my squad so I wasn't sure how I wanted to shoot it. I figured for timing, shoot the disappearing one first and if I felt there was time the static target between that and the swinger, but didn't think I could make it so I shot swinger second.

Last edited:
The only stage that I really cared about doing well on was the classifier. I ended up overthinking it and screwed myself up.
Since it was 6 round Virginia count I thought I'd out some insurance against going over by taking 4 rounds out of the mag I was going to use. Unfortunately the mag I selected had only had 9 rounds in it. (I guess I must have inadvertently used it as a Barney mag on a previous stage, either that or I am unable to successfully count to 10)

When my pistol slide locked after the 5th round it surprised me and by the time I realized what happened and loaded another mag my time was blown.

Memo to self: take nothing for granted even if it means stripping a mag and starting from scratch

I would load mag to capacity because what if you have jam and need to cycle out round.... I also make sure I have mag on belt just in case....

The only stage that I really cared about doing well on was the classifier. I ended up overthinking it and screwed myself up.
Since it was 6 round Virginia count I thought I'd out some insurance against going over by taking 4 rounds out of the mag I was going to use. Unfortunately the mag I selected had only had 9 rounds in it. (I guess I must have inadvertently used it as a Barney mag on a previous stage, either that or I am unable to successfully count to 10)

When my pistol slide locked after the 5th round it surprised me and by the time I realized what happened and loaded another mag my time was blown.

Memo to self: take nothing for granted even if it means stripping a mag and starting from scratch

Yep, I had more than one shooter on my squad "download" their magazines for the first two stages and explained the same thing. If you get a bad round for any reason and have to eject it, now you don't have enough to finish the string/stage. I will sometimes pull one round out of a mag that I need to go to for a reload where I will only have a limited number of shots at that point, but always try to have a few extra in there. Live and learn.

I spied another competitor returning partially depleted magazines to his pouches but didn't get the chance to speak with him about it. BAD IDEA. It WILL come back to bite you at some point. Used mags go in your bag/pockets, only full ones go in the pouches.

I would load mag to capacity because what if you have jam and need to cycle out round.... I also make sure I have mag on belt just in case....

That stage is so short, if you get any sort stoppage you are already screwed. It is 6 shots in 3-4 seconds start to finish. I had 3 mags on my belt, but that wouldn't help in this situation unless your name is Jerry Miculek

That stage is so short, if you get any sort stoppage you are already screwed. It is 6 shots in 3-4 seconds start to finish. I had 3 mags on my belt, but that wouldn't help in this situation unless your name is Jerry Miculek

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I was talking about taking the fraction of a second to rack the slide and chamber a fresh round.

As for reloads...............................

Practice goes a long way. [wink]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom