• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Using a car as a generator

I saw a news segment where a person used his car with an inverter to power some appliances during the recent power outages. It seems like a reasonable alternative for those that for whatever reason don't own a generator.

How long would a car run on idle assuming it is a 4 cylinder that would normally get 28 mpg highway and has a 18 gallon tank? Would excessive idle damage the vehicle--if for example it ran for one week on idle?

Obvious downside is when the car is moved to refuel, etc. it can't be used at the house. Inverters are relatively cheap and I could run some cords in a pinch and power my oil furnace in the winter or refrigerator in the summer (don't see a need for both!) and maybe a television for news updates, etc.

The article itself seemed to imply that a the Prius was essential to the setup [rolleyes]. The Prius may be more efficient with its on/off battery cycle, but I would think an average car would give fair enough performance in a pinch.

http://greeninc.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/23/prius-its-not-just-a-car-its-an-emergency-generator/

Last edited:
Rather than using your car, search google for plans to make a generator out of a lawnmower.

car, regular car, is poor as the alternator makes poor power at idle.

When I had my Jeeps with a winch, I spent hundreds to get an alternator that would make 200 amps at 1000 rpm.

Your average car alternator these days are lucky to make enough power to run the car (no accessories) at idle and most will die from a lack of electrical power before it runs out of gas if run solely at idle.

Noticed the guy was using the car to not just power any inverter...it was putting out 17KW. That is one heck of a big inverter and probably cost upwards of 1500.00 Sure most prius owners have one of those laying around.

Back
Top Bottom