US Army: 6.8mm weapons to replace M4A1 & M249 SAW one step closer

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Seems the push is on.

The U.S. Army is preparing to introduce a new arsenal of small arms capabilities to its “close combat force” — the approximately 103,000 soldiers identified as those most directly responsible for closing with and destroying the enemy.

A cornerstone of these new capabilities can be found in the service’s Next-Generation Squad Weapons program emerging from Army Futures Command’s soldier lethality cross-functional team. Focused on enhancing squad-level lethality for the close combat force, the initiative is a prototyping effort that consists of a rifle (NGSW-R) and automatic rifle (NGSW-AR) with a common 6.8mm cartridge and fire control (NGSW-FC) between the two systems. The goal is to field the NGSW-R to selected units as the planned replacement for the current M4A1 and the NGSW-AR as the planned replacement for the current M249 Squad Automatic Weapon.

The project is not a stand-alone weapons program. Instead, it recognizes that Army close combat capabilities reflect a combination of factors identified as soldier, weapon, enabler, ammunition and training, or SWEAT. That philosophy is one of the things that makes NGSW different from some past weapons programs.

NGSW.png

i was just reading about that 6.8 SPC - after discussion about 6.5 Grendel. ar15parts sells those uppers too, at $410 - and it needs its own bolt as well.
cheapest 6.8SPC ammo is at 84-90cpr. expensive.

i was just reading about that 6.8 SPC - after discussion about 6.5 Grendel. ar15parts sells those uppers too, at $410 - and it needs its own bolt as well.
cheapest 6.8SPC ammo is at 84-90cpr. expensive.
The new round is 6.8x51 similar to the .277 fury

The new round is 6.8x51 similar to the .277 fury
that is interesting but looks very complex. i guess we will see.

Looks like this is a done deal? Not sure if there's another thread about this. This is the only one I could find. The selected the Sig.

Back
Top Bottom