US AK47 Barrel Identification?

Bt74

NES Member
I bought a Romanian AK kit about a year and a half ago, from I.O. that was advertised as having a US barrel. There are no markings on it, and the odd thing about it is that the front trunnion is pressed onto it...but the old rivets are still in the trunnion. Seems odd that they would go thru the process of pressing and pinning on the trunnion without removing the old rivets? They could have just as easy (or easier) just thrown the "new" barrel in the box with the other parts. Also, are there any "buid partys" coming up soon? Thanks for any input.

I'm not 100% sure but I have a romy kit with us barrel and the finish is rather different from your standard hot blued stuff it is much flatter and darker like a flat black paint! And I may try and hold a build party at my house this spring just not sure yet... Also it's in ma so you nh folks are out of luck! Sorry

US made AK barrels are almost impossible to identify their origins. I wouldn't worry too much about them being bad or anything - 7.62 US AK barrels haven't really had a bad reputation, ever.

It's the older 5.45x39 US made barrels that are a complete crap shoot. There was a company spec'ing the bores at .223 instead of 5.45 and they keyholed like mother****ers.

The AK-builder US made barrels shoot damn nice. They're very accurate from what I've seen.

I'm not 100% sure but I have a romy kit with us barrel and the finish is rather different from your standard hot blued stuff it is much flatter and darker like a flat black paint! And I may try and hold a build party at my house this spring just not sure yet... Also it's in ma so you nh folks are out of luck! Sorry

This barrel has a blued finish but has distinct lathe marks on the surface. All components ( sights etc) are also on it. Just wondering if this will affect my U.S. parts count. Thanks for the info.

it's really easy to get your parts count up with other crap if you're concerned but it's pretty much a given that if you can't tell about this barrel... no one else will be able to. ever.

the real test is to pour vodka on it and if the barrel appears to consume it then it is a russian/eastern european barrel. if it all just seeps out and you pour jack daniels on it and it has the aforementioned effect then it's a 'murican barrel.

Back
Top Bottom