Upton State Forest: Good for squirrels?

J

JellyFish

I think I am going to scoot over there soon to try squirrel hunting with my .22 rifle instead of my shotgun. It's just past 495 so rifles are allowed.

Anybody been there before? How is it? See any squirrels in there? 2600 acres so I imagine there's one or two somewhere. [wink]

I'd love to try hunting them but don't you have to do that at night? I'd have to learn a lot more about them.

Doesn't surprise me that they are a problem though. Foxboro has them running in packs now apparently, their numbers have increased greatly there too.

Try Westborough WMA. I used to see a ton of squirrels along the banks of Chauncy Pond. Big fat ones at that. If not, Bolton Flats but go along the west border near the Nashua river. Along with mr. bushy, there are Ruffled Grouse that pop up. I saw a few snipe (very elusive) there as well.

Jim,

You have the best squirrel hunting grounds in Eastern MA just under your nose!

Boston Commons has more tree rats (big, fat, juicy ones) than probably anywhere within 100 miles.

Just get permission from Mumbles and you'll be all set! [rofl] [laugh] [laugh2]

Jim,

Boston Commons has more tree rats (big, fat, juicy ones) than probably anywhere within 100 miles.

[rofl] [laugh2] [rofl2]

I'm trying to imagine the panty-wetting that the sight of a gay man, armed with a shotgun, on Boston Commons would cause.

Jim, if you're going to go out to Westboro, if you want some company, PM me and I'll get my 10/22 out and join you.

If You two don't mind ? can I tag along too ? I can either bring My Ruger 10/22 or mount a scope on My daughters $1,000 , single shot target rifle.
Would the State ELO's classify 3 people on a Squirrel hunt "
Driving Squirrel's [rofl]
Bob

Jim, if you're going to go out to Westboro, if you want some company, PM me and I'll get my 10/22 out and join you.

Westborough WMA is a pheasant stocked area. That means shotgun only during the pheasant season (until 11/25) and you'll need a blaze orange hat. Good luck!

Westborough WMA is a pheasant stocked area. That means shotgun only during the pheasant season (until 11/25) and you'll need a blaze orange hat. Good luck!

[frown] Somehow I suspect that hunting squirrel with a 12 ga would be a slight overkill... not to mention very messy. [rolleyes]

[frown] Somehow I suspect that hunting squirrel with a 12 ga would be a slight overkill... not to mention very messy. [rolleyes]

You're not supposed to use buckshot on them! [laugh] #6 birdshot and take your shots at 20+ yards and you should still have a squirrel left when you're done.

Westboro? Hmmm...is there a good area out there? I will have to look that up, I hadn't thought of going there.

Lot of squirrels there?

Ha! They'll arrest me and give me the death penalty if I try to take a squirrel on the common. [laugh]

Jim,

Just get permission from Mumbles and you'll be all set! [rofl] [laugh] [laugh2]

Hmmmm...good tip, thanks. I may have to get up there and check it out then.

Try Westborough WMA. I used to see a ton of squirrels along the banks of Chauncy Pond. Big fat ones at that. If not, Bolton Flats but go along the west border near the Nashua river. Along with mr. bushy, there are Ruffled Grouse that pop up. I saw a few snipe (very elusive) there as well.

Back
Top Bottom