*UPDATE* See post 24 Can I use a 'dummy' round as a poker card protector?

TZCHRIS

NES Member
If you don't play poker you may not understand. I was wondering the legal aspects of using a 'dummy' round (spent primer and no powder) Many people use different things to 'protect' their cards from being mucked by the dealer while in a hand. Can I have this on the table while out playing poker?

Last edited:
i dont play poker so have no knowledge, but can see how some people would prob be ruffled just because thats society, I think it would be cool but will be interesting to see what the pro's think

If you don't play poker you may not understand. I was wondering the legal aspects of using a 'dummy' round (spent primer and no powder) Many people use different things to 'protect' their cards from being mucked by the dealer while in a hand. Can I have this on the table while out playing poker?

It will most likely be taken as a threat, and, well, you know...it won't end well.

Is there a law against brandishing ammunition?

Wouldn't it be pretty small in comparison to the card? I would want something that is going to clearly be visible by the dealer. Not to mention that round things roll and standing on end is likely to tip over (then roll away). Plus the comments above... I'd say its a bad idea.

is poker legal in MA?

Check out EPT (Eastern Poker Tour) Tournament every night somewhere in MA (they give to charity, I think thats the loophole)
Big one this Friday in Foxboro to raise cash for Foxboro Midget Football. They even have $1/2 no limit cash tables with lots of drunk poker players (easy money!)

- - - Updated - - -

Page blocked by server at work?[sad2]

Found this that I can easily make at home but still not sure if its legal?
images (1).jpg

Last edited:
Bad idea, I agree. But legal? I don't mind ruffling a few feathers if I'm legal. Always a plus when playing poker to put the opponent on 'tilt'.

Ok so bad ideas asside, Why wouldnt it be legal? You're the one in possession of it and even if someone were to hold it you're still supervising them. I'm pretty sure spent brass is considered "ammo" by the regs so treat it as such. Lets not get into the debate about where you can legally possess ammo and there is a sticky around here that covers that.

Check out EPT (Eastern Poker Tour) Tournament every night somewhere in MA (they give to charity, I think thats the loophole)
Big one this Friday in Foxboro to raise cash for Foxboro Midget Football. They even have $1/2 no limit cash tables with lots of drunk poker players (easy money!)

- - - Updated - - -

Page blocked by server at work?[sad2]

Found this that I can easily make at home but still not sure if its legal?
View attachment 44397

Similar

card-guard.jpg

I'm going to give it a go. I will let you know if they start running for the exits when I use it. Thanks for the reply's!

P.S. About 80% of all my guns and ammo are paid for by drunk poker players![wink] It's also cash money you don't have to report to the warden! LOL

M.G.L. c. 140, §§ 121 - “Ammunition”, cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun."

I have no idea how poker works, although it sounds like you're holding it for others to see??? How about a snap cap?

M.G.L. c. 140, §§ 121 - “Ammunition”, cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun.

I have no idea how this relates to poker, although it sounds like you're holding it for others to see??? How about a snap cap?

There we go! So you might as well use live ammo. You just look silly with an empty primer... All this assuming OP has some sort of LTC.

Why would you even consider opening that kind of can of worms.

Drill a hole in it and run a long cotter pin through it.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

Gave it a go and only got a couple strange looks. One guy asked me if I was a bad shot and that's why I had 2 rounds? Told him I like to fire one warning shot. No issues, no problem. Didn't win any cash that night either[sad2]

UPDATE*

I made one of these, spent primers filled with silicone, looks exactly like this:

View attachment 46976

So I have been using this at Foxwoods for a couple weeks, no issues, a couple cases it turned into conversations of reloading and met some cool guys who I never knew were into reloading. Well that changed last night. The woman dealer at my table starts talking about the school shooting in the middle of the tournament, probably not a good idea in the middle of a poker game but I hear her say (I am half paying attention) "they need to do away with the second amendment and take all the guns away" OK, now I listening! I say "excuse me? So you think because there are a few crazy people in the world I shouldn't have the right to defend and protect my family?" and to that she replies "I don't think people need guns" I then tell her "I think everyone should have a gun and a matter of fact I never leave home without one!" She gets very quiet and starts staring at my 'bullets' card protector. That is the end of her spewing at the mouth and I can see she is rattled? Her 1/2 hour dealing shift ends and a new dealer comes in.

OK, 5 minutes goes buy and a big security guy comes and does a stroll around the table, very slowly, I say to the guy next to me "she called 5-0 on me" half jokingly. Well another 5 minutes and 2 state police detective along with some Foxwoods big wig and 2 more foxwoods security surround me. The detective asked me to step away from the table and I say sure. He says "bring your bullets" He asked to look at them and I give them to him. He says he is there because there was some concerns with what happened at the school they need to "check things out" I tell him I know my rights and haven't done anything wrong" He agrees and says "I wish everyone was a legal gun owner" He never asked me if I'm carrying and he didn't seem to care, he just tells me to put the bullets away or Foxwoods would ask me to leave.

Here is the part I need help with. After I tell him I will put then away he says "keep in mind you could be arrested for transporting ammunition over state lines" I said are you kidding me, he says no! Even guys with bullet necklaces could be arrested for transporting over state lines? Someone please tell me this is wrong!

TZ Chris. He's completely wrong with respect to ammo over state lines. (rule number 62 - cops don't know the law) I'd suggest you use them again, once this blows over. Remember, CT is not MA. Neither the Feds nor the State of CT regulate ammunition, other than the age requirement.

On another note. I've started a thread in the CT forum of Opencarry.org asking if anyone had OC'd since the shooting. The answers will be interesting:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-since-Newtown-Shooting&p=1866646#post1866646

On another note. I don't normall advertise, but today I wore an IDPA shirt to my kids Ballet class, complete with gun company logos

Last edited:
Agreed. Foxwoods can keep you out for any reason. I'm going on the is description of the incident, in which they asked him to put them away. They did not say, please don't bring them here ever again.

If they do say that, Chris should abide by their wishes.

I get the impression that what he said had more to do with the escalation than the presence of the dummy rounds.

The Foxwoods security took a report and said I would be asked to leave if I had them on the table again. I really didn't want to argue with the detective, he did bring up the 'loosing your right over a suitability issue for doing something like this'. Pretty silly in my eyes, Foxwoods could have just asked me to remove them and I most likely would have. I asked the cop, what do you think is going to happen if your wife starts talking 'Roe V Wade' at her next ornament swap? Lady works for Foxwoods with the public, she should keep her silly opinions to herself.

Back
Top Bottom