• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Upcoming (and Final) Harvard Monday Appleseeds: 8/27 and 9/10

There will be only two more Monday night Appleseeds. August 27th, and September 10th. These will both start at 5:30PM Sharp. After this, the sun just won't be staying up long enough for us to get anything done on an evening outdoors, and the indoor .22 range is under repair. If you've been "meaning to get to one of these Monday things" this is your last chance.

One weekend afternoon Appleseed per month will continue to happen with an announcement coming soon on which day it will be in September. This coming Sunday (8/26) is not official, but I will be there all afternoon with my brothers sorting out some new equipment. Send me a pm if you want to join and I'll let you in on our plans. We may have something of a cookout too.

To the regulars: Thanks for making Monday nights fun, but you still haven't shot any Rifleman scores yet! Come make sure my brothers from Jersey aren't the only "Massachusetts Monday" Riflemen.

What is Appleseed:
Appleseed is a grass roots program popping up all over the country started by the Revolutionary War Veterans Association (www.rwva.org). The basic premise is that the health of the Second Amendment (and the country) is directly proportional to the number of active Riflemen and Riflewomen in it. Mini-Appleseed events (like this one) are basically groups getting together on their own and shooting. Full-scale Appleseed events are weekend long shoots where RWVA national instructors will travel to a location and anywhere from dozens to hundreds of shooters will come to learn from them. The program has been around for a little bit over a year now, and ~1000 people have come to appleseed events so far. This year's calendar is already packed with events every weekend somewhere around the country.

What do we shoot:
I like to explain appleseed to other shooters as an entry level version of NRA High Power rifle -- less gear, less distance, less money, but building almost all of the same skills. It's a Junior Varsity to High Power's Varsity (living happily together) The standard course of fire is the Army Qualification Test (AQT) on scaled targets at 25 meters (simulating 100, 200, 300, 400 meter targets) in standing, sitting/kneeling and prone positions. Scoring 200 out of 250 for an "expert" Rifleman score is the basic level of proficiency we're shooting for (~4MOA, or 1" at 25 yards or 4" at 100 yards). When space, time, and skill allow we shoot long range too (Harvard has a 100yard range we will use, and a 200/300 yard range for club members only), but the bulk of practice is done at 25 meters.

What equipment do we use:
The single requirement is any safe, working rifle (bolt/semi/whatever) in any caliber (22lr to 30.06+) that'll reach 25 meters. If I were to suggest a rifle to get the most out of the program, it would be semiauto, mag-fed (10 round mags are fine) with iron sights but if you have something other than that, the program will bend for you. In addition, you might want to bring whatever you need to be comfortable in prone (mat/carpet/tarp and some elbow protection).

Last edited:
I will try to be there, with Betsy. (since the 10/22's trigger group is in VT or on it's way!)

Mikey, Mrs. Magnum? You coming along on Monday? We can go for dinner at Firefly's in Marlboro afterward... BBQ!! Yum.

anyone? Bueller?

Well we are still waiting on slings, mags, sight tool, and other things to come in. But we are really interested in the weekend shoots.

Well we are still waiting on slings, mags, sight tool, and other things to come in. But we are really interested in the weekend shoots.
If you ask nice, I'll bet that Crak would loan you a rifle... I'd consider loaning you Betsy if you're interested.

What rifles do you need this stuff for? AK and 10/22, right? I have all you will probably need that you can use. Or you can use my 10/22.

Well the 10/22 is completely stock, I am still trying to figure out everthing I need for it and the info in the "Appleseed shoot" thread helped a lot. I think the AK has everything on order that I need; sling, sight tool, mags.

Yup; I was using a loaner Liberty Training Rifle (LTR for short) at the Proctor shoot. Trust me... if you don't have the basics down, seeing where you're shooting 2x or even 5x larger ain't gonna help much.

Last edited:
Amicus, bring:

RELIABLE rifle - any caliber, any sights - iron is preferred but you can use a scope.
I'll let crak give the round count, but I'd be surprised if you go through more than 200-250 rounds.
Shooting pad
elbow pads - the line is concrete, so you REALLY want something to lay on and some thing to pad your elbows.
Ear & eye protection.
Sling if you have it.
Absolute minimum of 2 magazines, 4 or more is preferable.
bug spray... as dusk falls, the skeeters come looking for blood!

Okay, Okay, I know I said I'd be at last Monday's Appleseed and I didn't show - I got held up at work, and was pretty pissed about it. I've arranged to leave work early next Monday to be sure I make it.

If I get there before anyone else, is it okay to warm up, or do I need to wait for Crak or a club member before I start shooting?

Also, Nickle, I'm definitely coming to Jericho in October - Tana is coming too, and I may have some others in tow too.

Just a reminder. Today's the last Monday night Appleseed. 5:30pm at Harvard Sportsman's club.

There is a September Sunday scheduled, but don't make that your excuse for not coming to this one. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom