Unusual S&W 686

I just couldn't put it down[smile]
The 6" slab sided, angled shroud barrel feels like a 4" with perfect balance.

pc686p1-vi.jpg

pc686p2-vi.jpg

almost

Almost looks like a 627 except for the round count, the 627 is an eight
shout 38/357. I looked at one last week at S&W. Its heavy and has in my
opinion a small handle.. The sales guy said it was a new model?????

Nice gun hopes it shoots well.

JimB

I think this is the 686+ (7 shot version of the 686). The 627 is on the larger N frame; the 686 is on the L frame which is why they can't push it past 7.

Almost looks like a 627 except for the round count, the 627 is an eight
shout 38/357. I looked at one last week at S&W. Its heavy and has in my
opinion a small handle.. The sales guy said it was a new model?????

Nice gun hopes it shoots well.

JimB
JimB,
This 686+ (L frame) weighs in at exactly 2-1/2 lbs., about 6oz. lighter than my M28 (N frame).
All of the current, regular production S&W revolvers are coming out of the factory with round butt frames. They can all be fitted with "conversion" grips to bring the size up for those with larger hands. I like this feature because I find the N frames just a tiny bit large.

I'll find out how well it shoots this afternoon...better be pretty darn good, for the price I had to pay to get it.

It is, BTW, absolutely pristine and unfired, for a couple more hours. I was surprised to find no burn marks on the face of the cylinder that would indicate test firing and not a rub mark or trace of powder residue anywhere. Almost seems a shame.....Naah[wink]

Cool revolver, much nicer than the run of the mill 686. Not quite sure about the grips... Maybe a set of darker mahogany form fitting grips would improve the balance of the look. Anyway, good luck with it and happy shooting.

Chris

Cool revolver, much nicer than the run of the mill 686. Not quite sure about the grips... Maybe a set of darker mahogany form fitting grips would improve the balance of the look. Anyway, good luck with it and happy shooting.

Chris
Shot the critter this afternoon..
The Mustang grips are OUTA HERE. The recoil with full house 180gr loads was simply brutal.[crying]
As much as I dislike rubber grips, the Uncle Mike's that came with the gun are going back on for shooting.
The first few rounds fired showed promise for good accuracy but the pain in the wrist pretty much put an end to any accurate shooting.
Well, I needed to develope a lighter load for the Model 640 anyhow. Maybe a 140gr JHP would be a little more civilized.

Back
Top Bottom