Unknown Mosin

I got a Mosin from a local guy. His father in law was a WWII vet, and this was amongst his things. I can't find any marking on the gun except the serial number on the bottom of the receiver. Looks like a moon symbol then E772.

No markings at all on the top of the receiver. No import marks.

What in the world do I have here? I have very little capital into it, thankfully.

Attachments

• unknownmosin5.jpg
    unknownmosin5.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 133
  • unknownmosin1.jpg
    unknownmosin1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 133
  • unknownmosin2.jpg
    unknownmosin2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 127
  • unknownmosin3.jpg
    unknownmosin3.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 127
  • unknownmosin4.jpg
    unknownmosin4.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
wow theres alot of diff mosins. thanks for that link...Im still due to pick one up some time soon.

Round receiver M91/30. Most likely a 1942 or 1943 Izhevsk that was struck very lightly on the barrel. But could be another year/arsenal that was lightly struck.

But before this loses any potential history - possibly a REAL bringback (?) - you may want to just get a soft nylon brush with some oil and lightly go over all the metal. Look closely for the barrel markings, other numbers that match (bolt, mag plate, buttplate), and hopefully "no" import mark. Something will be revealed with a very light cleaning and some macro pics.

You may have a real gem to keep preserved, there.

With my high-res monitor at work, I enlarged the barrel shank area. The Izhevsk hammer/sickle wreath is visible at the top of the shroud. My guess is that it is a very faintly struck year just underneath.

The stock is a pre-war construction, as evidenced by the screwed-in escutcheons. But if you could take some good clear macro shots of the barrel shank (top, and left side near the receiver), the rear sight base (pinning), and the front of the barrel (right side, or under the cleaning rod for possible light import marks), we will know a LOT more about it.

Again, I'd hesitate to clean this one up with any more than a nylon brush and lightly damp oily rag. No detergents or abrasives. It could still be a real WWII relic/bringback. Preserving the finish/patina/European crud in the stock can keep the history intact.

Last edited:
With my high-res monitor at work, I enlarged the barrel shank area. The Izhevsk hammer/sickle wreath is visible at the top of the shroud. My guess is that it is a very faintly struck year just underneath.

The stock is a pre-war construction, as evidenced by the screwed-in escutcheons. But if you could take some good clear macro shots of the barrel shank (top, and left side near the receiver), the rear sight base (pinning), and the front of the barrel (right side, or under the cleaning rod for possible light import marks), we will know a LOT more about it.

Again, I'd hesitate to clean this one up with any more than a nylon brush and lightly damp oily rag. No detergents or abrasives. It could still be a real WWII relic/bringback. Preserving the finish/patina/European crud in the stock can keep the history intact.

He said his father in law brought it back from the war. From where, no one knows.

I will try to get some better pics later tonight.

Butt plate not marked. Bolt illegible gibberish. Receiver not numbered. Floor plate looks like a moon symbol (or C) then E772. I see no identifying marks on the barrel shank at all.

This thing poses more questions than answers.

100% no import marks under the barrel. I have not cleaned the gun.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Didn't happen to have any papers with it, did it?

No.

He got the gun out of his father in law's estate after he passed. He also got some kind of "Zulu" shotgun too. I have that one as well. Some 200 year old European 70 caliber deal that the Africans cobbled together to make a shotgun.

You're right, not much to go on with the barrel shank. Very interesting.

The unfinished machining on the barrel (lathe marks) is indicative of the 1942-43 Izhevsk. This is one you might carefully disassemble, and take a pic of the receiver tang. It could shed some more light in a hurry.

The last two pics you posted won't load for me but the moon symbol is probably an imperial proof mark. Like Martin said, if you can get to the tang that might tell us where it came from and receiver year of manufacture.

Back
Top Bottom