universal holster, great for RO/coach/instructor

I've been asked to write up some of the gear I use in coaching/instructing.

Tactical tailor makes a neat little $20 holster that's basically 2 layers of nylon fabric, so when empty you hardly know it's there. It will safely hold any gun from a 2" snubbie to a 1911 or a large magnum. When a shooter is having issues, it can be really handy to have a holster that will safely and comfortably hold nearly any handgun you'd encounter on the range. It certainly handles any handgun I own, or use in teaching or coaching.

IMG_0608A1024_350.jpg

A small snubbie will get swallowed up, but it won't fall out the bottom. A Buntline Special will stick way out the bottom. The point is the holster will hold them all safely. A large or medium auto fits well enough that one could draw quite nicely, but nearly any handgun fits safely.

Anyone whose taught a while has had to take a gun away from a student. Maybe they're doing the hot brass dance because something went down their shirt. Maybe the anxiety of firing their first shot freaked them out. Sometimes all the safety rules fly right out of their head when they first hear gunfire, or when they first encounter a jam. Stuff happens. I find it handy to have this universal holster on my belt, so I always have a place to put any handgun I might encounter, so my hands are free and the gun is fully under my control while I deal with whatever caused me to take the gun away.

Tactical Tailor products are always robust and well constructed in my experience. This thing appears bombproof. It has belt loops on both sides, so you can mount it inside your belt to manage the weight of a very large gun, or you can use it for left hand, cross draw, or appendix carry. When empty it practically disappears. I don't use the removable snap retaining straps, but they might be handy for those who do gymnastics.

If you get one, I suggest you consider a color other than black. Mine is black, and with all the black nylon range bags and gear bags, it can be a bear to find the thing when it doesn't contain a gun. Sometimes I wish mine were hunter orange.

IMHO, this is a great gift for any new instructor/coach/RO. It also works well enough to serve when you don't have the right holster for the gun at hand.

I've been looking for something exactly like this for guns I shoot but never carry. Awesome find and thanks for posting.

Back
Top Bottom