Unconventional Soviet M91/30 PEM Sniper

I suspect, since an original Mosin Nagant M91/30 built in PEM Sniper configuration is almost unheard of, that most all of them are unconventional. The ones which can be found are either decommissioned or rebuilt, mismatched and re-snipered with a mix of arsenal and/or aftermarket parts. Of the many thousand that were used and abused in WWII, only a few handfuls can be considered 100% legit today, and those are mostly in museums or in the hands of a select small number of collectors who nabbed them among the early imports from Finland.

Then, there's the one I found last week.

7txELAnl.jpg

It's certainly not original, as it appears to be built from both a 1942 Tula Arsenal PEM Sniper (serial numbers of the bolt, magazine floorplate and stock buttplate are from a known PEM serial number range), and with a barrel from a 1937 Izhevsk Arsenal non-sniper. But the base and mount are original Soviet matching units, and the scope is an original non-refurbished PEM optic.

OnbXxZbl.jpg

nZrShy8l.jpg

fsrdt0kl.jpg

zTQOgUYl.jpg

QJEFkaKl.jpg

JRN3VAml.jpg

6cANucml.jpg

t0j4kSgl.jpg

iScLrdVl.jpg

pUBDDx9l.jpg

wmqhQ0fl.jpg

vgONAxxl.jpg

0fFKToNl.jpg

But the base and mount have an additional set of matching numbers, in a font other than Soviet. These new numbers would be consistent with stampings which are associated with German field depot or arsenal work. The base is attached to the gun with solid pins instead of the set-screw method which was used by the Soviets. The mount is also fitted with a non-original 'wing nut' style thumbscrew

IJ6EItEl.jpg

zeDZZLMl.jpg

vL7USBZl.jpg

c2EfuY8l.jpg

oAO9Ifel.jpg

Then, there is the strange stock.

TBrZDKbl.jpg

Ke5hAb0l.jpg

A new piece of wood was spliced to the top comb and heel of the stock. The original buttplate was flattened to accommodate the new size and shape of the buttstock. To my knowledge, this would be the only example which can be found with this unusual alteration.

D3gorOal.jpg

LW1XDvHl.jpg

jqxGYAgl.jpg

Kxiv6z0l.jpg

PQb57Apl.jpg

So, what is it? A true German rebuilt Sniper? Or a stateside gunsmith rebuild? Whichever, and judging by patina, it has been in the current configuration for a long time, and has seen a lot of handling and use since it was put together.

Besides being an extremely rare PEM Sniper, and built with all original Soviet parts, it's really a mystery. I bought this from a dealer who is both a family friend and a court appointed Personal Representative for the estate of the renowned collector, Carl "Bill" Morrison of Bradford, ME. The dealer expressed to me that the gun was bought by Morrison in 1947 from a returning US Armed Service member at Dow Air Force Base in Bangor, ME.

No matter what the actual history is behind the sniper, it's a keeper. I'll probably never have another chance to find one that is even half as interesting. So, more pics, enjoy, and thanks for looking.

-Matt

omeAvrql.jpg

1X2BhG1l.jpg

H4vcLRZl.jpg

DeeGRbul.jpg

D5aAxXwl.jpg

uUd8Meal.jpg

0dURfb6l.jpg

gd5bVCYl.jpg

PxrGuFSl.jpg

zffWDDTl.jpg

7txELAnl.jpg

Last edited:
Martin, you need to find some other things, like yeti, lost ark etc. you got a real gift ... [laugh]

That stock looks too well made. The splice is made at an angle, not perfect 90, but both pieces of wood mate perfectly. The darkness is probably from the sweat and dirt of the cheek leaning into it. It's definitely not a hack job and it's not a regulation job either. You could not have mutilate a gun like that unless the user had a dramatic leeway in regulations.

I wander if there is any research that could be done on the soldier who brought it back. I am curious if it could be ascertained where he may have picked this up. This is very unusual for sure.

a few more thoughts.

I don't see any reason why would someone bringing a rifle half way across the globe would mutilate it here in the States. If this was done in the Red Army, there had to be a special reason. Scouts and snipers were special snowflakes and in fact several well known Soviet snipers use german rifle scopes (against regulation) and were taking pictures with someone else's rifles for newspapers. My best guess so far is that the original owner of this rifle was disabled or impared in some way, such that this somehow helped him or her. It is very unlikely that a soldier could gift his rifle also, so it may have been a battlefield pickup and worked it's way and was traded later to the guy who brought it here.

either way, incredible find Martin, you are the lord of finds.

Unfortunately, no way to ever confirm the GI who brought this home with him.

But I do agree that this gun would not have been altered in this fashion for just anyone. It was a special request that was filled.

As this gun was likely remaining in West Germany, or other region outside the Iron Curtain after the war, I would guess that the stock was never altered while in Soviet hands, perhaps even for Waffen SS purposes.

Of course, I'll never be able to prove where, when, why or by whom with certainty. Some will call it a home-spun build. But I can say that since it was built, it has seen plenty of hard use.

I just love the look of this rifle.... now with such a nice well done build with the looks of loving heavy use are you going to give us a range report?

Back
Top Bottom