Ultrasonic cleaner - works great!

I have one of these HF models but have only used it for cases and carbs so far. It doeses a great job. Also this is one of the items that qualifies for the 20% off coupon so the cost is around $64. (Not to hijack this thread but you have to watch the fine print on those coupons for eligibility). Some of the more expensive units labeled by other manufacturers come with a tray to lift parts out of the cleaner but I bought a couple of small stainless parts baskets from Amazon for short money. IIRC there was a thread here or over on GarageJournal.com where there was a discussion that some other cleaners were the same as the HF model but rebaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Any issues with abrasion being introduce from the stainless steel basket or vibration of the parts?

Can you just toss in shotgun chokes (multiple chokes) into the basket and not be concerned about damage to threads, etc?

Any issues with abrasion being introduce from the stainless steel basket or vibration of the parts?

Can you just toss in shotgun chokes (multiple chokes) into the basket and not be concerned about damage to threads, etc?

That is what I have been doing for a year with no problems. I have some Comp-N-Choke ported chokes that are a pain to clean but come out shiny out of the ultrasonic. I don't use them for my Mullers as those chokes don't get dirty and just need a wipe

Respect the power of this machine.

I just wrecked a pair of prescription glasses, the ultrasonic cleaner caused the anti scratch coating to flake off in spots. This thing is pretty powerful.

Call me skeptical, but the reviews look like they were written by the same person.

Unverified Amazon accounts in the reviews and all within the same time period. None before 3/14 and none after 3/20. I'm. It saying the product is junk, but I like to stay away from things that look shifty.

If you're cleaning AR Bolt carriers, semi-auto shotgun pistons, and pistol parts mostly then go with the 2.5L one from Harbor Freight. I picked it up and love it.

Call me skeptical, but the reviews look like they were written by the same person.

Unverified Amazon accounts in the reviews and all within the same time period. None before 3/14 and none after 3/20. I'm. It saying the product is junk, but I like to stay away from things that look shifty.

If you're cleaning AR Bolt carriers, semi-auto shotgun pistons, and pistol parts mostly then go with the 2.5L one from Harbor Freight. I picked it up and love it.

Harbor Freight is the harbinger of junk.

Harbor Freight is the harbinger of junk.
I guess we should buy the Lyman insstead:
https://www.lymanproducts.com/turbo-sonic-2500-case-cleaner.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-63256.html

TS2500lg-462x392.jpg
63256_zzz_500.jpg

The Lyman doesn't have the power of my unit. The $200-$300 units are all Chinese and have limited info on them. My unit is still available:

https://www.amazon.com/Kendal-Comme...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I have no interest in the company or anything and only use the unit like a hobbyist. The grounding on the unit is poor, I get a pretty good zap with my hands in the water when on and I'm in bare feet

I've got a big 5 gallon one for work. It is a bit more advanced as it has a frequency sweep. Conduction is best in water/ mostly water solutions. Aside I like 50% methanol as you get a better cleaning action. The bubbles are smaller and it has a better chance of producing cavitation by the parts you need dirt removed from. On a side note. 250 ml graduated cylinders work great for slides. I do most of my hardcore cleaning with liquinox. It's a neutral cleaner. Doesn't leave residue. Follow with 50% methanol. Then 100% methanol. Blow dry with compressed air.

El Cheapo from HF first use with Simple Green Pro dilution as solvent followed by Dawn dilution stripped heavy cosmoline from pistol in 45 minutes. Only place it remained was up inside the action around the trigger/mag release which hadn't been disassembled. No more solvent in a bucket with brushes mess.

No damage to bluing no surprises save for the effectiveness removing so much cosmoline that the arm wouldn't function and the barrel was plugged full.
I picked up some simple green aircraft instead of the pro. anyone have any experience between the two?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Anyone using Kroil in their cleaner? I know Adam from Acme used it in his... I don't think he used the heating aspect of the cleaner though. You can get Kroil by the gallon for not crazy prices.

Thinking about getting an ultrasonic cleaner this month...

I have a harbor freight ultrasonic that I messed up by using alcohol in it...melted a lot of plastic. Oops! Still works, but I never found the cleaning action to be that fantastic.

I need to get one more like the Kendal one linked up above.

I learned about Kroil from Adam, use it instead of PB Blaster on my car now because the smell is less horrid. Using it in an ultrasonic sounds ka-razy! Seems like it might work amazingly well and eliminate a lot of problems though.

Seriously guys, a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid to act as a surfactant is really all you need. If there are areas where water gets trapped pour some rubbing alcohol on it.

I used a 50/50 mix of Simple Green on my steel tools when I started play with the unit and stained the stainless steel bluish. Make sure you test with stuff you don't care about before putting your expensive guns in there. These things are powerful and the combo of the ultrasonic and heat can wreck stuff if you don't know what you are doing.

Like I said a couple of posts ago, my unit wrecked my prescription glasses by flaking off the scratch proof coating.

I use a small Hornady and the Hornady concentrated cleaner (you mix it 40:1 with water - it's essentially soap).

Respect the power of these units, especially the larger ones. I put my expensive progressive prescription glasses into the unit and after 5 minutes the anti-reflective coating was flaking off and the attachment of the lenses to the frame were cracked!

Be careful with these, they work great when used properly but respect the power!

Back
Top Bottom