• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ultralight woods carry: S&W 327 VS. Mountain Lite

O/U

Hi folks,

You might remember awhile back that I was considering a 329PD for a hunting/hiking/camping firearm that I could wear all day and not be weighted down. Springer was nice enough to offer to let me shoot his, but I've been too busy to take him up on the offer. I did, however, shoot my buddy's full weight .44 magnum again in Vermont with the same result: OUCH! I just do not enjoy shooting this caliber, not to mention the fact that I can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn.

Perhaps it's a function of my relative inexperience with the larger handgun calibers, but I always enjoy my .38/.357. I'm still considering the possibility of getting a full weight .44 mag down the road, but I recently handled the ultralight 327 and Smith and Wesson's "Mountain Lite" and thought that either one would serve my purpose in the North East.

The main difference between these two weapons is that the Mountain Lite has a longer barrel with a 7 shot capacity, whereas the 327 has a very short 2" barrel with an 8 shot capacity. I think it's also a Performance Center gun, so I would imagine it would have a nicer trigger pull.

My wife has greenlighted the purchase, so right now I just need to decide which way to go. Are there other firearms that would serve this purpose that I should consider? Any semi-autos that are good for woods carry in the North East that could possibly be a better fit for my purposes?

Any advice would be appreciated!

.357 /.44

Well i guess it depends if you want this to be you primary or secondary hunting gun?? That will help you choose you barrel length/ sight radius.

I love wheel guns and have handled and shot several of the models you are looking at.

are you gonna do a lot of hiking (carrying) or a lot of Shooting?

Guns are like ladders.. when your carrying it, you want the lightest thing around. When its time to use it, You want the most solid platform available.

Good Luck!

Well i guess it depends if you want this to be you primary or secondary hunting gun?? That will help you choose you barrel length/ sight radius.

Hi Mike,

This will not be my primary hunting gun. With any luck it will never leave its holster (except for lots of range time). For hiking/camping I want something small enough to conceal, but large enough to handle any critter in the North East in a pinch.

Consider a used 4" or 2-2/1" Model 24 (.44 Special) or Model 29 (loaded with .44 Special loads). A 240 gr. lead SWC loaded to about 800 fps is a pleasure to shoot, extremely accurate, and sufficiently potent for most anything you're going to find in the woods around here. With a good holster (a pancake for concealment, but slow on the draw if you have heavy clothing on) or a Jordan (open carry), either can be carried all day in comfort (the only exception being getting into a car with the Jordan).

Consider a used 4" or 2-2/1" Model 24 (.44 Special) or Model 29 (loaded with .44 Special loads). A 240 gr. lead SWC loaded to about 800 fps is a pleasure to shoot, extremely accurate, and sufficiently potent for most anything you're going to find in the woods around here. With a good holster (a pancake for concealment, but slow on the draw if you have heavy clothing on) or a Jordan (open carry), either can be carried all day in comfort (the only exception being getting into a car with the Jordan).

Thats Good advice

.. If your not going to shoot it a lot. It's ok if it kicks like a horse.. Practice with light loads then try it out with carry loads to see where you are hitting..

The day you need it.... you wont mind the kick.

Nothing bigger than a .38 if you are going to be in the woods at night as per MA state law.

Back
Top Bottom