Ultra-Maxx

Here is the spill over from the ammo deal thread in the members section. Typeo1313 9-4-07

I've been on the lookout for cheap .223. This is what I've found so far:

Collectors has some cheap steel cased Russian .223 for $4.50/20 (.23/round). I forget the brand; it's not Wolf, but something similar (and probably just as awful).

Collectors also has what looks like Eastern Eurpoean surplus 5.56x45 (I think it was Serbian) for 6.75/20 (.34/round). It's more expensive, but it looks like good brass and it's probably nice and hot. Four Seasons has the same stuff for $7.99/box.

Dicks has 150 round value packs of .223 for $39.99 (.27/round). However, they never seem to have more than 2-3 boxes in stock (if at all).

Any other insight on cheap .223, please let me know. And if anyone knows where I can get some more of that Guatemalan 5.56, please PM me.

-C

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen the same stuff at Dick's. .223 and .45ACP. It is ultra-max.
I remember when I first started shooting five or so years ago there was quite a bit of Blazer ammo around, but now I hardly see it at all. something happen to the company? Not that I was a fan of the stuff, just curious.

Kevin (jrbtzx12r) comes in all the time and that buys it up. I don't know, but the people that come in and buy it love the stuff.

My AR loves the Ultramax stuff.
I've never found more than 4 boxes of the value packs in any Dick's at one time.

Is it the Ultra-Max? If so it is hardly a bargain considering it's reloads IMO. Personally I shoot wolf before I shoot it.

Same here... Dunno about their 223 rifle ammo, but ultramax pistol
ammo is garbage. It's underpowered, dirty, and often improperly
sized. A guy at one of the plate shoots had a big box of the .45
ACP RNL stuff and there were at least a dozen rejects in the box
by the end of the day. Maybe that stuff was made on a
friday, but I'd rather take my chances with wolf instead if I was
shopping that low on the pole, so to speak. I've also tried some of
their 10mm out of an S+W 610, and while it worked, it was by far
the weakest 10mm Auto I've ever fired in my life... was probably sub .40 S+W
loading levels.

-Mike

I've put about 800 rounds of Ultramax .223 through my AR and not had one single problem. It goes on sale fairly often for $34.99 for 150 rounds. I grab it then. I prefer the brass over the steel anyway...

Is it the Ultra-Max? If so it is hardly a bargain considering it's reloads IMO. Personally I shoot wolf before I shoot it.

But what's to stop us from reloading the cases? Wolf is dirtier, and steel cases. I think it's a pretty good bargain....

Jr

Do you reload brass not knowing how many times it has been reloaded before? I am not a reloader, just asking a general question.

I reload any type of brass as long as it looks OK to do so. Granted I'm fairly new to reloading, but I haven't had a problem so far. From what I've seen, if there's an issue with the brass (other than a visible defect) it usually shows up during the reloading process.

Jr

Took Tana out to dinner tonight, and happened to swing by Dick's on my way. Got lucky, and found 5 boxes of the Ultramax .223 150 round value packs, which I "needed" for the Appleseed shoot this weekend.

At $39.99/box, less a 10% coupon, that's $0.24/round.

The Russian (Barnaul) steel cased stuff at $4.50/box is $0.225/round.

So for an extra $0.015/round, you get the ammo AND the brass. I think $15/1000 is a fair price to pay for twice used .223 brass.

can you reload Ultramax?

I don't see why not. It's once fired Lake City brass (so technically it'd be twice fired), but unless it fails visual inspection, I don't see why you couldn't reload it.

If anyone has good reason why this brass should not be reloaded, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Took Tana out to dinner tonight, and happened to swing by Dick's on my way. Got lucky, and found 5 boxes of the Ultramax .223 150 round value packs, which I "needed" for the Appleseed shoot this weekend.

At $39.99/box, less a 10% coupon, that's $0.24/round.

The Russian (Barnaul) steel cased stuff at $4.50/box is $0.225/round.

So for an extra $0.015/round, you get the ammo AND the brass. I think $15/1000 is a fair price to pay for twice used .223 brass.

Funny .......... my box of .223 Ultramax was 130 rounds (printed on the carton) $39.99 less coupons bought at Dick's

Funny .......... my box of .223 Ultramax was 130 rounds (printed on the carton) $39.99 less coupons bought at Dick's

There are two (at least) types of Ultramax $39.99. The FMJ comes in 150 round boxes, but the 55 GR soft point comes in 130 round boxes. I'm assuming you have the latter.

Back
Top Bottom