Bulk Ultramax

Whats the opinion on ultramax ammo? I bought a bulk pack of .38 semi wadcutters at Dicks. Great price, but to my surprise when I opened up the box I found they were reloads. Not a big deal I guess. Anybody have any issues with them?

I second the dirty and smokey. After shooting the whole box I was covered in crap and the gun sure needed a bath. Otherwise no complaints every one fired and cycled fine in my M&P .40

Worked OK in my AR but wouldn't buy more unless they were the only choice. Mainly because as has been pointed out they are very dirty.

The 38spl is the dirtiest smokiest stuff I've ever shot, but its reliable so who cares... Just make sure you trust your ranges air handler!

I too agree that it's dirty. Shot 50 rounds out of my revolver and I was thinking that buying a revolver was a bad choice. The thing was black. What about the silver shells? Can they be reloaded? Are they steel or nickel silver?

ammo is shit, inaccurate, dirty, and i had one of their 5.56s blow up in one of my ARs a few years ago. case broke into two pieces, had to pull the end out of the chamber, fortunately the gun wasn't damaged.

ammo is shit, inaccurate, dirty, and i had one of their 5.56s blow up in one of my ARs a few years ago. case broke into two pieces, had to pull the end out of the chamber, fortunately the gun wasn't damaged.
Probably used a shell that was reloaded too many times. Whay do you thinks it is inaccurate? It explains why I can't hit the broad side of a barn, but I'm shooting a snubby at 50 feet.
Any other semi wadcutter brands that are cleaner?....but then again, with this shortage I'll take what I can get. Looks like I'll be getting a small box of Hornady critical defense for CCW. I may see if Holliston can get me a small box of Buffalo Bore. I hear that stuff is pretty good.

Last edited:
I just finished up a box of that stuff. It's dirty and less accurate than the federal I've shot, but it's ok. I just hate the flat nose of the wadcutters....it's a PITA to load. I won't buy it again for that reason alone, since the savings wasn't really that much.

I second the dirty and smokey. After shooting the whole box I was covered in crap and the gun sure needed a bath. Otherwise no complaints every one fired and cycled fine in my M&P .40

I fired 'em out of an M&P 40 too. It's the ****ing Wild West at high-noon when you bring the Ultramax out. Seriously, clouds of smoke. You'd think they were black powder .40's..... I was at the range with a buddy and I fired off 10 rounds real quick-like just to see how they functioned. Couldn't see the target afterwards, he goes "What the **** was THAT?" And this was an OUTDOOR range, mind.

YMMV, but I doubt it.

Back
Top Bottom