Steel Cased Ultramax Reloads?

MetalgodZ

NES Member
Picked up a bulk pack of .45ACP Ultramax for a friend on Friday, and when I got it home, I noticed that about 16 of the cartridges are steel cases.

I thought you couldn't reload steel... [thinking]

Has anyone ever run into these, or know of any problems with them? I've seen the KB! thread over the .223 Ultramax in an AR, but haven't seen anything bad about their pistol ammo.

I'd assume they're safe to use considering they're commercially produced, but always safer to ask than to blow up a perfectly good 1911.

Perfectly safe. They won't last you many reloadings, and they play hell with steel dies, but other than that you should be fine.

Last edited:
are you sure they were steel not just nickel plated? I've bought quite a bit of ultramax 9mm and i've seen nickel cases but never any steel ones. I do supose anything is possible though.

People are always telling me they split faster but I haven't actually seen
that happen yet, at least not in .45 ACP and 9mm.

-Mike

I see it all the time in .38 spec, nickle definately splits with fewer reloading than brass, I think the nickle plating makes them more brittle and after a few flexings (firings) they split. They sure do look purty sitting in the box tho.....

Back
Top Bottom