ULS Question

So, I'm checking the ULS database daily for my call sign; do I need to do anything like create an account or will it just show up there?

Thanks

It will show up BUT I saw an alert today from ARRL that there is a technical issue right now and nothing has been processed since 11/13 & "IT is working on it"

I seem to recall when I was looking for mine that it was picky about what you searched for. I just tried mine and searched on: amateur, last name, MA and expiration in descending order and it worked. By using expiration in descending order you'll get the newest ones first.

If I put in First Last it doesn't work, neither does Last,First. But Last, First does work. I suggest sticking with Last only.

Cruising around the ULS is interesting. I used the advanced search to search for hams (Service Group = Amateur) in my little town of 6,000 and there's about 30 active licenses in my town. Two on my street that I never knew about.

It will show up BUT I saw an alert today from ARRL that there is a technical issue right now and nothing has been processed since 11/13 & "IT is working on it"

Ugh..just what I didn't want to hear. [sad]

Cruising around the ULS is interesting. I used the advanced search to search for hams (Service Group = Amateur) in my little town of 6,000 and there's about 30 active licenses in my town. Two on my street that I never knew about.

Yeah, I've been poking around looking for hams in my town and there are about a dozen actives. One is only about 3/4 a mile from me. I heard him on the Paxton repeater during George's Old Timers Net Check-in. Once I'm live, I'll ping him and see if he'd be willing to take me under his wing. Older guy from the sounds of it with experience.

Did you sign up for an FRN from the FCC before taking the test? If so searching by FRN is the fastest, easiest way to find it.

Here is the link to ARRL statement about ULS issue: LINK

Did you sign up for an FRN from the FCC before taking the test? If so searching by FRN is the fastest, easiest way to find it.

Here is the link to ARRL statement about ULS issue: LINK

Ok, so I am confused now. I guy I know took his test and passed on Nov 15 and he already has his call sign, but no listing for me in ULS even though I took my test on Nov 12. I did not create an account as others said it would show up without an FRN. When I filed out the FCC form at the test site, I used my SSN as I didn't have an existing FRN.

So, what gives? Why isn't my call sign there?

Ok, so I am confused now. I guy I know took his test and passed on Nov 15 and he already has his call sign, but no listing for me in ULS even though I took my test on Nov 12. I did not create an account as others said it would show up without an FRN. When I filed out the FCC form at the test site, I used my SSN as I didn't have an existing FRN.

So, what gives? Why isn't my call sign there?

Getting an FRN prior to your test makes it much faster. If you don't get and FRN it takes longer as they need to manually create an account for you and then assign your callsign vs. simply adding a call sign to an existing account which is largely automated.

You were probably deemed unsuitable.

[wink]

Just kidding. I hate waiting for stuff as much as the next guy, but you'll get it. I seem to remember it took a few weeks to get mine. You're at only 13 calendar days so far with holidays sprinkled in.

You were probably deemed unsuitable.

[wink]

Just kidding. I hate waiting for stuff as much as the next guy, but you'll get it. I seem to remember it took a few weeks to get mine. You're at only 13 calendar days so far with holidays sprinkled in.

Stop being logical! I want it, now! NOW! NOW! NOW! <stomps feet> [rofl2]

It also depends on how quick the place you took the test from submitted the information. Some do it right away some not so much. If I remember correctly mine took about 10 days.

Stop being logical! I want it, now! NOW! NOW! NOW! <stomps feet> [rofl2]

I hear you. I've been waiting for something to show up on the Registry of Deeds website and I check several times a day. I kept that pace after I was told it would take 30-45 days just in case they got to it sooner [wink].

Now it's been 2.5 months and still no dice [angry].

It also depends on how quick the place you took the test from submitted the information. Some do it right away some not so much. If I remember correctly mine took about 10 days.

So, the insanity is just spiraling now.

Called the FCC, my app is not on file. Called the ARRL, no test packet received from the Nov 12 Chelmsford session. Called the VE for that meeting. He calls the guy who ran that session. Packet was sent in AND the check for the fees was cashed by the ARRL on Nov 23, but claim that they've not received the packet. VE says that they STAPLE the check to the exam packet when they mail it in. This way, they are sure that the two are not separated.

The VE is escalating the issue to the New England Region ARRL director. Says he'll have a sit down with him tomorrow. VE feels that the ARRL just needs to go away. At this point, I'm inclined to agree with him.

- - - Updated - - -

I could operate at night till I ran out of whale oil. Jack.

LOL...my parents told me that they had to watch TV by lantern light. Sounds like you are in that same boat!!! [roifl2] [rofl]

Apparently, the ARRL are a bunch of retards. They cashed the check but didn't have the tests??? Riiiiiiight.

Well, the VE got to the bottom of this giant cluster f**k and says I should see my license in ULS in 48 hours or so.

Finders crossed.

Apparently, the ARRL are a bunch of retards. They cashed the check but didn't have the tests??? Riiiiiiight.

Well, the VE got to the bottom of this giant cluster f**k and says I should see my license in ULS in 48 hours or so.

Finders crossed.

Keep them finders crossed [wink].

Woo Hoo [party]

Remind us, do you have any gear yet? What repeaters are you near? I assume you got your Tech. When are you getting the General? Inquiring minds are nosey.

So, what's your call?
If he's focused on OpSec he shouldn't give his call as anyone can look up his home address from the call. Some security conscious folks will give the FCC a PO box. It's perfectly legal as all the FCC wants is some way to mail you stuff.

Woo Hoo [party]

Remind us, do you have any gear yet? What repeaters are you near? I assume you got your Tech. When are you getting the General? Inquiring minds are nosey.

lol

Yeah...I've got an El Cheapo Baofen UV82 to learn on. Have a 5 ft. J-Pole antenna to get a bit more distance.

Repeaters:
Harvard, Westford, Paxton (amazed I can hit and hold that one), and Fitchburg (noisey but audible). I can probably hit Worcester as well, but haven't gotten any reply to CQ on that one.

I'll probably wait a bit to get my general...I don't really need to get up into the higher bands just yet...just want to practice and hone my radio skills first.

And I don't mind nosy questions! [rofl2]

Thanks for the help and support!

- - - Updated - - -

So, what's your call?

Heh...I'm not sure I want to post that here. [grin] I'll PM it to you.

lol

Repeaters:
Harvard, Westford, Paxton (amazed I can hit and hold that one), and Fitchburg (noisey but audible). I can probably hit Worcester as well, but haven't gotten any reply to CQ on that one.

Paxton has great coverage. Not sure your location but if you can reach any of the MMRA LINK repeaters, a lot of them are linked so you can get more range to chat with folks.

Back
Top Bottom