Two residences?

Here are the instructions for question 13 on the 4473:

Question 13. State of Residence: The State in which an individual resides. An individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State with the intention of making a home in that State. If an individual is a member of the Armed Forces on active duty, his or her State of residence also is the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located.
If you are a U.S. citizen with two States of residence, you should list your current residence address in response to question 2 (e.g., if you are buying a firearm while staying at your weekend home in State X, you should list your address in State X in response to question 2.)

Here are the instructions for question 13 on the 4473:

Question 13. State of Residence: The State in which an individual resides. An individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State with the intention of making a home in that State. If an individual is a member of the Armed Forces on active duty, his or her State of residence also is the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located.
If you are a U.S. citizen with two States of residence, you should list your current residence address in response to question 2 (e.g., if you are buying a firearm while staying at your weekend home in State X, you should list your address in State X in response to question 2.)

Thank you. So I think I have it right. MA as mailing address and NH residence address as residence.

set it up as a time share, i'll pay $2/month towards it and my "share" day will be 3/13
get 364.25 other people to pay $2 and they each get a day, or pay more for multiple days....

How where would I go to get a NH state ID with out giving up my Ma drivers Lic?
I have a second home in NH.
Any advice would be appreciated..
ggboy

How where would I go to get a NH state ID with out giving up my Ma drivers Lic?
I have a second home in NH.
Any advice would be appreciated..
ggboy

If you just want to buy a gun in NH you don't need a NH state ID, just your MA ID and a government-issued document of some sort verifying that you have a residence in NH (tax bill, etc.)

Hmmm . . . the directions on the NH Non-Driver ID info page say that it is only available to those under 65 who do NOT have a valid driver's license. (65 or over and you can have both.)

I thought having a valid MA license would rule out a NH non-driver ID, but do they mean a valid NH driver's license or ANY valid drivers license. Anyone have experience with this?

-Gary

my experience with this before just moving to NH was that it is totally subjective to the issuing officer.

My inlaws have a home on a land grant inside of North Conway. Since its not a part of NC, it is covered by the sheriffs office. Since I am there often enough to claim it as a residence, I inquired with the Sheriffs dept, and was told, that he only issues resident permits to full time residents of our community (lots of snow birds), anyone else has to apply for a non res license.

So, if I have a house in FL (spend vacations there) - can I bring my MA-purchased AR there and will it be safe if MA decides to confiscate it?

Not if they issue an order that they must be turned in, and you don't have one to turn in or proof that you got rid of it. Although other states that banned weapons without grandfathering gave a time period to remove them from the state.

But to be safe, what if you found a Florida FFL that you trusted... sold it to him, then immediately bought it back? According to Healy the guidance will not be applied to any rifle legally owned in the state before 7/20/16. So it would be legal for a FFL to sell you the gun, because being preban it's legal in your home state.

You would have a document stating that you sold the firearm... the only legal issue would be not filing an FA-10 afterwords. Is that required for an out of state purchase if the gun isn't brought into the state?

Not if they issue an order that they must be turned in, and you don't have one to turn in or proof that you got rid of it. Although other states that banned weapons without grandfathering gave a time period to remove them from the state.

But to be safe, what if you found a Florida FFL that you trusted... sold it to him, then immediately bought it back? According to Healy the guidance will not be applied to any rifle legally owned in the state before 7/20/16. So it would be legal for a FFL to sell you the gun, because being preban it's legal in your home state.

You would have a document stating that you sold the firearm... the only legal issue would be not filing an FA-10 afterwords. Is that required for an out of state purchase if the gun isn't brought into the state?

If the goal is to completely avoid the confiscation, you'd sell it to the FFL in the other state where you have a residence and then file an FA-10. Then buy it back and keep it in that other state. Done.

FA10s are only required if the firearm is crossing the border into MA. If someone has a home in FL, purchases a firearm in FL, stores that firearm in FL, and that firearm never crosses the border into MA, then no FA10 would be needed.

So, could say a bunch of guys and gals buy ownership shares of a cabin in NH with enough land for a range, and declare residency?

So, could say a bunch of guys and gals buy ownership shares of a cabin in NH with enough land for a range, and declare residency?

In theory, yes. You could also make a "Northeast Shooters Trust" and make everyone who signs on a trustee I think.

Say 64 people come up with 1/64th of the cash needed in order to make everything fair and square so everyone is entitled to an equal share of the property. On the deed, it would read "Admin, 1/64th interest... tk421991, 1/64th interest...", etc.

You would just want to write up some sort of... compact... in regards to property access rights and so on. You would be, in effect, creating a gun club but without calling it one or incorporating into one. Problem is liability if something were to go wrong...

huh I thought current use negated land owner liability if the land was open and not posted. ?????? Ya know Use at your own risk

huh I thought current use negated land owner liability if the land was open and not posted. ?????? Ya know Use at your own risk

I was thinking more along the lines of something going off of the property or if say someone fell down off of a porch and broke a bone or a negligent discharge by someone who had property rights. Or accusations of things going off the property by antis. Bare minimum, you'd want a waiver agreement signed by all.

You'd also have to consider bothering the neighbors, unless NES-land is way off in the bush of Maine. Like closer to Quebec than Boston Maine.

FA10s are only required if the firearm is crossing the border into MA. If someone has a home in FL, purchases a firearm in FL, stores that firearm in FL, and that firearm never crosses the border into MA, then no FA10 would be needed.

Exactly. See my post #49.

I'm trying to think out of the box. To be honest I don't know how condos are set up and run from a legal and liability perspective. It just seems like maybe a low cost way for MA-based NES'ers to establish a second legal residence for purchase and storage in southern-mid NH.

I'm thinking a lodge building with a bunch of owned 10x10 or 10x20s. Maybe there could be some common cooking, dining, bathrooms, entertainment areas, etc.

I assume bylaws could give each condo owner an equal vote for whatever decisions need to be made. Internal condos have certain liabilities and maintenance, and the common areas have another set? A range was a thought, but is very secondary.

I'm trying to think out of the box. To be honest I don't know how condos are set up and run from a legal and liability perspective. It just seems like maybe a low cost way for MA-based NES'ers to establish a second legal residence for purchase and storage in southern-mid NH.

I'm thinking a lodge building with a bunch of owned 10x10 or 10x20s. Maybe there could be some common cooking, dining, bathrooms, entertainment areas, etc.

I assume bylaws could give each condo owner an equal vote for whatever decisions need to be made. Internal condos have certain liabilities and maintenance, and the common areas have another set? A range was a thought, but is very secondary.

A condo is run by a document called a Declaration of Condominium. It contains all of the information about the condo, like a floor plan of a unit, a map of the condo itself, restrictions, common area stuff like parking lots and facilities, etc.

I was thinking something along the lines of a hunting lodge and outdoor range and just giving everyone who wants in a fractional interest. A condo works by selling individuals a unit that usually doesn't come with any land. Fractional interest means that everyone owns one piece of land together.

For instance if we bought $500,000 worth of acreage and split it 100 ways, it'd be $5000 each. Or say if we bought a $100,000 piece of acreage and split it 50 ways, it'd be $2000 each. Then we could raise the money to build a lodge ourselves.

Back
Top Bottom