Two Pair; threes and twos...9/29 Mauser range pic

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Somewhat to my surprise, I find myself the new owner of two .32 pistols; a M03 Colt and a M14 Mauser. The sale of my Mitchell Mauser was to have covered a third gun, but the antique Pontiac's AC went to the tune of $550 leaving me enough to pay off the M14 and eventually get a couple hundred rounds of 50's 8mm Yugo.

The M03 Colt I traded my Pedersoli Brown Bess even up for. Serial number dates it to late 1919. I'd rate it at 90%, great barrel, all matching numbers. The previous owner got it from the nephew of a U.S. tank commander who carried it as his back up piece to his .45, which the previous owner kept. Grips are original Colt but a later type - mid 1920's. The previous owner told me it had appraised for $700.

The Mauser is also all matching, about 80%, perfect barrel; serial dates it to late 1918. The pistol has Imperial proofs, double crown U, but no unit markings. I paid $300 for it; almost 1/2 of Gunbroker prices for interwar serial pieces.

I have learned how to and have field stripped both pieces. Both are in really nice shape for 91 and 92 year old guns. I shot the Colt the other week (great) and hope to shoot the Mauser soon. I have found an original interwar holster for the M14 at IMA, left handed even, for $59. I'll probably make the M14 my carry gun depending on the range results, as the M03 seems to be more of a collectors piece.

002.jpg

001.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

011.jpg

006.jpg

Last edited:
Veritable masterpieces you have there, majspud! Anyone should be envious of the pistols and their opposing historical significance. I know I am!

Went to the the range after school and put 26 rounds out of the M14.

The good: it likes Privi P 71gr. round nose ammo (8) ; the first shots were right, then I compensated.

The bad: it doesn't like the Remington 71gr. round nose ammo (18); 2 stove pipes and two misfeeds.

The very bad: when I got home, I noticed the wrap around wooden grips had chipped; there is a fingernail size piece missing from the top right center of the back of the grip next to the frame. [crying] Next time I am at the range, I'll go look, but fat chance finding a chip of wood in the grass in the middle of the 25 yard range.

14target.jpg

MS

Last edited:
there are those shotgun targets again[wink][laugh]only kidding buddy. Nice pair of handguns. Very nice addition to any collection

The chip of death.

chip.jpg

I did waste an hour and a half driving back to the range before the tropical storm hits the NE in the 1% hope I might find the piece. No such luck. I'll probably touch up the area with a little walnut stain or maybe cut Tung oil to dull the fresh wood. [frown]

MS

Last edited:
Sucks about the chip Tim. FWIW the grip has already lost its originality. If it were mine and its not too deep a piece missing, I'd gently shave down the affected area to match the rest of the grip, strip and refinish. Or you can always start searching for a new set. if anyone can find a true part to a firearm its you.

At some point I'll lightly sand to remove the sharp edge on the left, restain, oil, and call it quits. I just spent the last half hour looking for grips; found several for the 1910 6.35mm, but none for the bigger brother.

MS

Shame it had to happen.

Sure on the repros if you want to shoot it a lot. But is there any hurry? You may find a nice pair of originals that pop up in the next month or two. Put them on a "Saved Search" and hope that it doesn't take a year.... or never....

.... maybe just keep 'em the way they are. I'm not much help, am I?

Combination of sanding, walnut stain, and cut Tung oil. Here's what it looks like now.

fix.jpg

MS

Last edited:
Combination of sanding, walnut stain, and cut Tung oil. Here's what it looks like now.

fix.jpg

MS

If it were mine I'd continue the search for an original set of grips and shoot it with the ones that are on it now. As long as the grips aren't numbered to the gun, its no big deal if you replace them eventually with an original copy.

Back
Top Bottom